Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2013, 03:45 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,084,746 times

Advertisements

My SIL traded her minivan in a couple of weeks ago for a new vehicle. The van was paid in full some time ago, but she never had a title for it. She called the bank that had the lien on it and asked them to send her the title. It's been over a week and she still hasn't received it. She called to find out what's going on with it and the person she originally spoke with was unavailable (in a training class).

I have no clue how this process works. She was able to speak with someone at the bank and they told her the title was in Boston. I asked her if it's at the bank's main office in Boston or are they waiting for it to come from the State. She did not know.

So how does this work? Please help me understand the process. She's really frustrated. The dealership she traded the van in to sold the vehicle at auction already, but they need the title to transfer it.

Does the bank send the title to her or are we waiting on a government agency?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 05:23 PM

10,014 posts, read 15,662,194 times
No, the bank should have it. It's been many years since I've had any kind of car loan, but the state usually sends the titles out in about 30 days or so after purchase.

If the bank has misplaced the title, then a duplicate one has to be applied for. The lienholder will sign it over to her.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:36 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,098,971 times
Generally when the note on the car is paid off the bank will send the title in the mail. If she hasn't received it yet she could go to the registry and get a new one.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:17 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Correct. Each time I paid off a car, within a month, the title would come in the mail. I forget WHO sent me the title....bank or the state.

I am actually waiting on one now as I just sent in my final payment on one of my cars.

I'm surprised the let her trade in the car without a title, and then sold it at auction. Every time i've bought a car, processing the title was part of the paperwork I had to do when i brought in my trade to pick up my new vehicle.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:07 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Correct. Each time I paid off a car, within a month, the title would come in the mail. I forget WHO sent me the title....bank or the state.
In MA, I'm fairly certain it's the bank that sends you the title. I paid off my car a couple years ago and I remember getting it in an envelope with a zero balance statement from the lender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I'm surprised the let her trade in the car without a title, and then sold it at auction. Every time i've bought a car, processing the title was part of the paperwork I had to do when i brought in my trade to pick up my new vehicle.
I had that happen once. I imagine it's not too uncommon.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:50 AM

Alright.. It sounds like to me that the bank may have somehow lost her title & has applied for a new one meanwhile dodging her somehow or perhaps it's just on someone's to do list and hasn't been done.

Someone mentioned that her bankruptcy might be delaying it? But the bankrutpcy didn't include the van or the loan on it. She paid it off herself. Someone told her she might have to go to court to get the title. It doesn't make any sense to me.

The bankrupcty was discharged several years ago as well...

Old 09-25-2013, 11:03 AM

613 posts, read 944,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCrash View Post
My SIL traded her minivan in a couple of weeks ago for a new vehicle. The van was paid in full some time ago, but she never had a title for it. She called the bank that had the lien on it and asked them to send her the title. It's been over a week and she still hasn't received it. She called to find out what's going on with it and the person she originally spoke with was unavailable (in a training class).

I have no clue how this process works. She was able to speak with someone at the bank and they told her the title was in Boston. I asked her if it's at the bank's main office in Boston or are they waiting for it to come from the State. She did not know.

So how does this work? Please help me understand the process. She's really frustrated. The dealership she traded the van in to sold the vehicle at auction already, but they need the title to transfer it.
I'm 99% sure the bank holds the title, as they have/had the lien on the title. Years ago I bought a vehicle from a private seller in Mass., but he hadn't yet paid off the loan. We drove down to the bank in Dedham that held the title. I paid the seller, he paid the bank, got the title, & signed it over to me. All in one day.

Your SIL needs to call the bank & demand to find someone there who is competent to send her the title. (Yes, I know, finding someone competent at a bank??). But find out the head of that dept., & see if she can go there in person to P/U the title perhaps.

BTW, can't anyone at The dealership help her with this? Wouldn't they know way more about how to go about it, & call the bank themselves even? Oh, & does she have any record of paying it off, all the cancelled checks, or bank statements?

Old 09-25-2013, 11:52 AM

I believe the dealership isn't helping her because they're in CT? I don't know. I will pass all of your statements and questions on to her! Thanks so much.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:06 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,811,272 times
I recently paid off a vehicle and I can confirm the title came from the lender within 30 days. The lender was the finance arm of my automaker, but that shouldn't make a difference. If I got a car loan through a bank, the same thing applies - the bank will send the title once the loan is paid off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: