Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2013, 09:05 PM

60 posts, read 163,869 times

Advertisements

We were in this area over the summer scouting it as a retirement area and liked it a lot. We didn't have a lot of time to look at neighborhoods, but we did have a realtor who took us around but there was not a whole lot to show us that met our criteria.

We realize it is not Boston, so we won't find a condo in a high rise. "Condo" in Northampton anyhow seems to be a restored and subdivided house. It's not quite what we are looking for. Ideally it is some place where we have a garage and an association takes care of shoveling walks and maintaining the yard. And since we are in our mid 50s an active adult community is not necessarily out of the question.

I haven't seen much. Can anyone point me to such communities if they exist? Condo/townhouses are fine too.

Here are two I found in the Amherst area by searching Google Maps. Any more information about these or other nearby communities that meet our needs would be appreciated.

Greenleaves Realty Group

And this neighborhood near Hampshire College:

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 12:15 AM

13,323 posts, read 26,772,505 times
[quote=VADude;31543442]
I haven't seen much. Can anyone point me to such communities if they exist? Condo/townhouses are fine too. [quote]

There are a couple of 55+ condominium communities in Easthampton. One is called Mt. Tom Estates. You can locate the listings on Realtor.com by searching for "Senior Communities" in the advanced features.

I know Easthampton is not quite as exciting as Northampton or Amherst, but it is a pleasant town, and the prices are lower. There are also condominium complexes in Westhampton, Wilbraham, Westfield and Longmeadow where they do full maintenance. Some are age-restricted and others are not. I have looked at the area as an alternative for myself, and I know that Northampton and Amherst are very oriented to students and young professionals rather than seniors.

Last edited by goldenage1; 09-26-2013 at 12:54 AM..

Old 09-26-2013, 07:52 AM

26,634 posts, read 28,419,191 times
There's a huge condo complex out by Atkins in south Amherst. Probably has "apple" or "orchard" in the title since they took out gorgeous apple orchards to build it.

There are several other age restricted condos in Northampton.

It's student oriented but not a bad place to retire because there are always cultural activities at the colleges and you are in driving distance to Boston and NYC. There isn't a lot of shopping except for one mall. There are great restaurants in Northampton and lots of opportunities for outdoor activities.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:37 AM

13,323 posts, read 26,772,505 times
[quote=in_newengland;31560907]There's a huge condo complex out by Atkins in south Amherst. Probably has "apple" or "orchard" in the title since they took out gorgeous apple orchards to build it.

There are several other age restricted condos in Northampton.
[quote]

That's probably the Upper Orchard complex in Amherst.

There's a complex of detached house condominiums at 20 Bridge Street in N'Hamp, also Fairway Village (townhouse condos) out by Look Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts