Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 10:33 AM

13 posts, read 59,433 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Boston-Providence area from Chicago and have no knowledge of the region. I have a new job in Woonsocket RI, and my wife has a new job in downtown Boston. We want to be able to buy a house in a nice white-collared suburb-of-Boston, with a good school district, that still allows a half-decent commute into work to both my wife and I. Greatly appreciate any advice towards suburbs that meet the above criteria.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 11:34 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,643,440 times
How much do you want to spend?

Offhand, Franklin comes to mind. Easy drive for your wife, you can take the train to Boston.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:45 AM

No more than 500k for the house. Franklin does seem like a good option, commute wise. Any other good suburbs on that train line? Windsor gardens? Norwood?

Old 10-02-2013, 11:49 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,804,851 times
I used to commute to Woonsocket from Natick and it took around 45 minutes each way. Then I got a job in Boston and it took me just over an hour door to door by train. From Franklin the drive would be shorter for you, but your wife is looking at 1h20m - 1.5 hours door to door, depending on where her job is in Boston and how far she needs to drive to get to the train. Both Natick and Franklin have great schools and good communities, but are hundreds of thousands cheaper than the "top-notch" white-collar suburbs. Norwood and Walpole fit the same description and are a bit closer to Boston like Natick, but a little further from Woonsocket. $500k will get you a decent house in Natick/Walpole/Norwood, but it might need a little work and/or be smaller than the typical house in town.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:52 AM

605 posts, read 1,164,951 times
Woonsocket can be an awkward place to get to, with not so many expedient routes, because it's not located off a major highway. I second Franklin, it's more affordable and has a mix of white and blue collar residents, and it has access to the T (the Commuter rail) which your wife can take directly in Boston. You could also look into Bellingham, which is closer to Woonsocket but is only a quick drive from the 495 T station, but that's about an hour train ride into Boston.

You could also look into Walpole, which would give your wife a quicker ride and you a longer one. It's probably a little quieter and more white collar than Franklin, but you're closer to the city.

If your wife doesn't care about access to the train or public transportation, then you could also look into Milford or Attleboro for more affordable options, Mansfield or Foxboro for middle of the road, or Wrentham if you are willing to spend more money.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:55 AM

605 posts, read 1,164,951 times
If someone is willing to commute from Natick to Woonsocket, I guess I'd say you could move even closer to the city. Norwood would be a good option, as well as Canton. Both have stops on the commuter rail.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antan View Post
No more than 500k for the house. Franklin does seem like a good option, commute wise. Any other good suburbs on that train line? Windsor gardens? Norwood?
No, Windsor Gardens is an apartment complex in Norwood. Google reviews for the place.

There's Bellingham, but the schools won't be as good as Franklin. Walpole would be okay for a commute to Providence, but Woonsocket is west of there.

Wrentham and Norfolk might be okay - you catch the train in Norfolk. Probably a little more money but doable.

You need to come and look around.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:27 PM

Sorry, I got you guys mixed up! YOU are going to be working in Woonsocket.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:28 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,804,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitofEndearment View Post
If someone is willing to commute from Natick to Woonsocket, I guess I'd say you could move even closer to the city. Norwood would be a good option, as well as Canton. Both have stops on the commuter rail.
I was just mentioning Natick because the commute from there to Woonsocket is still half of what it would take for the OP's wife to commute to Boston from Franklin, plus the commute into Boston would be much shorter for his wife as well. Anyway, these are all good options for a $500k budget. As CaseyB said, he needs to come down for a house hunting trip!

Old 10-02-2013, 12:29 PM

Great info everyone! Thanks a lot. We will visit later this month and look around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts