U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-18-2013, 10:02 AM

31 posts, read 14,622 times
Default Groton to Lexington during rush hour?

My husband and I have been actively searching for a house for the past few weeks and were looking in the Bolton/Stow/Maynard/Boxborough area, we have a max budget of 400,000 and there is a very limited amount of houses available. We were thinking of expanding the search to Groton -husband works in Lexington. Maps online say 45 minute commute but is that true if he takes Rt 3? He works 8-4.
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 10:51 AM

204 posts, read 114,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mass100 View Post
My husband and I have been actively searching for a house for the past few weeks and were looking in the Bolton/Stow/Maynard/Boxborough area, we have a max budget of 400,000 and there is a very limited amount of houses available. We were thinking of expanding the search to Groton -husband works in Lexington. Maps online say 45 minute commute but is that true if he takes Rt 3? He works 8-4.
Thanks so much!
"Maps online say 45 minute commute but is that true if he takes Rt 3?" It's only 45 minutes via RT 3 at off hours. Rush hour(s), I think Groton-Lexington (& vice-versa) is going to be brutal. Are you open to Waltham at all? And have you checked prices in Burlington? But $400K is probably tough for a SF house regardless.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:10 PM

2,613 posts, read 1,356,529 times
This will be a very stressful commute, especially once winter is here – many hills to go up and down, no public transportation alternative and no road that is a straight shot between the two. On the best day, you are looking at a 1 hr, 15min commute and who knows what on the worst.

I would add some of the suburbs North of Lexington to your search, such as Burlington, Reading.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:50 PM

3,275 posts, read 3,722,635 times
I wouldn't do that commute.

What are your 'requirements' for a town/city? Schools important? Rural?

Old 10-18-2013, 01:08 PM

31 posts, read 14,622 times
Thanks for the fast responses, I work in Worcester and I know it will be a long commute, but I would not hit traffic from Groton to Worcester and I leave early in the morning so we were more concerned that my husband would hit traffic. Also I would be willing to look for a job closer to Groton later on and he is staying in Lexington for the future-so towns north or east are out of the search.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:24 PM

675 posts, read 592,512 times
I did it, not too bad, but I would avoid rt. 3 like the plague. 119 to 225 is a better bet.

Easier if you could flex your house and do 7-4.

Tons of people in Groton, Pepperell, Townsend, Tyngsboro, etc. commute to Lexington, especially Hanscom and Lincoln Labs

Old 10-31-2013, 08:34 PM

13 posts, read 6,714 times
Depending on where you are in Groton and where in Lexington, it might not be bad at all but it will take 45 minutes. From the center of Groton, you'd drive down Rt 119 to Acton, turn left on Strawberry Hill road (just past Donlan's supermarket), left at the bottom of Strawberry, right at the next intersection and it will take you right through Concord Center. It is a straight line from there to Hanscom AFB. The drive is all country roads and very pleasant at any time of the year unless the snow has not been plowed (very rare). The earlier the better to avoid other commuters and school busses.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:01 AM

10 posts, read 6,929 times
Good points raised by everyone above. Don't take the highways unless you can leave the house at 5:30. Really! Rt. 3 chokes up starting at 6:15, and the Rt. 2 rotary chokes up at 6 AM. (And they stay choked until 9:30 or so.) Rt. 225 isn't bad, but Rt. 119 is packed since everyone from Groton, Townsend and Pepperell uses it.

Also -- Groton is huge geographically. Depending where you are in Groton, it can add 20 minutes to your commute. If you consider places, check Google Maps at rush hour to see what the current commutting times on the routes you are considering.

Otherwise, it is a lovely town. Reminds me what Concord was thirty years ago. (Very nice town with good schools, but still within reach of middle class.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts