Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 10:31 PM

26,637 posts, read 28,446,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Hopefully, the Sox win it at home for the first time in almost 100 years!
It would be so great. I wasn't going to stay up for this one but I'm glad I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 11:28 PM

719 posts, read 981,564 times
I don't want it to go to a game 7 -- that's a nightmare pitching scenario where you're looking at trying to throw 5-6 guys.

Thankfully, I like our chances in game 6. Wacka has been dominant, but so was Scherzer in Game 1 of the ALCS, and the Red Sox were able to come back and hit him later in the series. As 'big time' as the atmosphere in Boston was in game 2 of this series, it's going to be on a whole other level on Wednesday. And, frankly, I think Lackey is ready for it; Wacka probably isn't. This team is all about redemption -- I think the idea of them winning it on Lackey's watch is profoundly satisfying.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:10 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,850,434 times
Default This series is NOT over!

Yikes! You guys are making me nervous with all this talking as if it's all but over. It's not.

The link is from a website that lists the percentages of series won by teams ahead in best-of-seven series. Check out the info on a 3-2 advantage:

WhoWins(tm) -- MLB, NBA, NHL Playoffs -- Leading, 3-games-2.

Baseball teams ahead 3-2 and heading home for the remainder of the series go on to win the series 76-plus percent of the time. Turn that around and historically teams in the Cards' position--trailing 2-3 and heading to the other team's park to finish the series--still win the series nearly one fourth of the time. And in the sixth game the Cards will start that rookie sensation Wacha, who hasn't been beaten yet in the playoffs. This one isn't over.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Yikes! You guys are making me nervous with all this talking as if it's all but over. It's not.

The link is from a website that lists the percentages of series won by teams ahead in best-of-seven series. Check out the info on a 3-2 advantage:

WhoWins(tm) -- MLB, NBA, NHL Playoffs -- Leading, 3-games-2.

Baseball teams ahead 3-2 and heading home for the remainder of the series go on to win the series 76-plus percent of the time. Turn that around and historically teams in the Cards' position--trailing 2-3 and heading to the other team's park to finish the series--still win the series nearly one fourth of the time. And in the sixth game the Cards will start that rookie sensation Wacha, who hasn't been beaten yet in the playoffs. This one isn't over.
Yes, HOWEVER, the last time a team down 3-2 heading away won the World Series were the 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates. They were also, according to Wikipedia, the last baseball team to win a game 7 on the road. So while it's not unprecedented, it's pretty darned rare for the away team to do that (and it is worth nothing that Pittsburgh was down 3-1 in that series, and won game 5 at home. Thus, it could be argued that momentum had already shifted their way BEFORE going back to Baltimore. Contrast that with the current series, where Boston possesses both the momentum AND is going home, and it starts to become even more unlikely).

Look: I'm a big Red Sox fan -- I have been all my life. But the curse is gone, dead, buried, and has a rusty spade sticking out of its weed-covered grave. We're just a regular baseball team now. Yes, we're a team from a 'glass is half empty' part of the country, and lord knows I often can't watch the games because they drive my heart rate through the roof. But the fact remains that not only is history on our side, but so is momentum.

I mean, can you imagine the Red Sox, after driving back in this thing down 2-1, and taking two games at the other guys' place, are going to come home and fold? Yes, of course it could happen, and Wacka is a scary, scary pitcher. But I'd like to think Farrell and his boys have learned a thing or two since game 2, and they're going to come at this 21-year-old with more than he could possibly dream of. Weren't we the best offensive team in baseball this year? Wacka may be good, but he's no Roger Clemens or Nolan Ryan. I'm not by any means predicting he's going to get smoked -- I don't even expect it. But I think we look good right now, and I'd rather be in our shoes than St. Louis'.

Last edited by PrincessoftheCape; 10-29-2013 at 03:14 PM..

Old 10-29-2013, 02:59 PM

Goddamn it. Again this website ignored my paragraphs and just pushed all my text together. What the heck is going on? When I edit, all the text is surrounded by < p > < /p >, but even if I remove those, they come back.
I'm having manually add < p > < /p > to every paragraph just to make them behave.

Last edited by PrincessoftheCape; 10-29-2013 at 03:12 PM..

Old 10-29-2013, 03:43 PM

12,595 posts, read 21,753,315 times
Winning tomorrow against Wacha is incredibly important. Not just because winning game 6 on the road would be a huge momentum swing for the Cards, but because the pitching becomes a major question mark (though I like the matchup of lefty Doubront vs. the Cards over Peavy) and Farrell's game management has been shaky (with game 3 being the worst). To be fair, so has Mike Matheny's and he's out of his element in Fenway. Still, in a game 7, anything can happen. I dread the series getting to that point.

I think the Sox are well equipped to handle the pressure of Game 6. I think they'll come out ready to play. The two teams are fairly evenly matched in almost all categories in this series, but I think we've seen that the Sox are a little more mentally tough. It's a veteran team and they're as well equipped as anyone to handle the pressure. Wacha has been absolutely extraordinary. I didn't expect him to do as well as he did in game 2. However, I like the Sox' chance facing him the second time around. I don't expect them to drive in 10 runs on the kid (MM won't let it go that far anyway), but I would expect a little more offense. I trust Lackey in this situation. He's got to have all the confidence in the world heading into game 6. I'd say that the "nothing to lose" approach could benefit the Cardinals, but I've yet to see either manager make great decisions. I don't see Mike Matheny starting now. If he does, it'll be a long two days. Still, I see the Sox wrapping it up tomorrow in another tight game and I can't wait.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:39 PM

Certainly the celebrations, if they happen, will be like nothing we've seen since '04, and maybe not ever. Honestly, I was more elated in '04 than I would be this time (knock on wood), but you're talking about dumping 40,000 hyper-excited people out onto the streets, plus anyone who has a mind to join them. It'll be unmitigated insanity. I guess my best advice would be: get your car the hell out of the city.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:13 AM

12,595 posts, read 21,753,315 times
I don't expect potential celebrations to be as wild as in 04. For starters, as exciting as this run has been, it doesn't have 86 years of angst and anticipation fueling it. As bad as 2012 was, it's not as painful as the abrupt end to 2003. Also, given the events of 04 and the more recent events in April, crowd control will be intensified. Keep in mind, that when games are going on, there are far more restrictions to vehicle and pedestrian traffic around the park than when there are no games. Even though the game(s) is at home, there will be a much larger police presence. I'd like to think that we've all learned from 2004 too. That's not to say it won't still be crazy. It will. There are still thousands of 18-22 year old college kids in the area who haven't experienced anything like this as an "adult." I'm not expecting much from them. I was considering heading down by Fenway tonight (and tomorrow which hopefully isn't necessary) to watch the game and then thought better of it. I'd rather not deal with that scene. I'll certainly be at any parade there might be.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:00 PM

What gets me most are the overwhelming numbers of pink hats this has drawn out. Felger and Maz played a recording last week of a bunch of young women who were interviewed after game 1. They:

1) Hadn't entered the gates until after the 2nd inning. In the World Series.

2) Had no idea who Uehara is.

3) Had no clue who John Lester is.

4) Were certain we would sweep the Cincinnati Cardinals (yes, you read that right).

Old 10-30-2013, 07:08 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,850,434 times
Just to get things straight, I never intended to imply that the Sox are certainly going to lose, just to make a cautionary observation that this thing is not practically done. I'm old enough to vividly recall all of the heartbreaks of the '70's and '80's, including some that don't get the kind of mention the Dent and Buckner moments do. It's too deeply engrained in me to be cautious about letting the Sox get my hopes up for that view to be completely erased by a couple of relatively recent titles. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
What gets me most are the overwhelming numbers of pink hats this has drawn out. Felger and Maz played a recording last week of a bunch of young women who were interviewed after game 1. They:

1) Hadn't entered the gates until after the 2nd inning. In the World Series.

2) Had no idea who Uehara is.

3) Had no clue who John Lester is.

4) Were certain we would sweep the Cincinnati Cardinals (yes, you read that right).
Princess, I have just the vaguest inkling of a sneaking suspicion that someone has uncovered some bandwagon fans. Just maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts