Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 02:59 PM

440 posts, read 452,562 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone:

I'm from CT and found an interesting position in MA. The online application requires me to put down my social security number.

I have never come across this when applying for a job in CT. Is this normal practice and/or required?

I generally try to keep that info private, obviously until it comes down to getting the job and filling out the paperwork.

Thanks in advance,

El
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 05:03 PM

546 posts, read 1,371,477 times
I for one, would not put my SSN on anything until hired and it was required for payroll.

Some people/companies just dont get what is going on with identiy theft

Old 10-23-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lanata View Post
I for one, would not put my SSN on anything until hired and it was required for payroll.

Some people/companies just dont get what is going on with identiy theft
That's basically how I feel. Also, they are using a third party to provider for the online application. It is a reputable company, but still I'm going to have to trust my gut on this one.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:50 PM

387 posts, read 913,277 times
Sounds like phishing to me. You might want to contact the reputable company to see if they really made the application. (Obviously, don't use the contact information on the app -- search Google for the real company website/phone number.)

Old 10-24-2013, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donewithpretty View Post
Sounds like phishing to me. You might want to contact the reputable company to see if they really made the application. (Obviously, don't use the contact information on the app -- search Google for the real company website/phone number.)
That's a really good idea. I hadn't thought about that. Thanks!

El

Old 10-24-2013, 08:54 AM

350 posts, read 1,088,052 times
I wouldn't provide my real SSN number that way. However, the application may not move forward without providing some number, so just put numbers in that are obviously placeholders and you can then mention in your note that you will provide actual SSN in person.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:41 PM

296 posts, read 529,999 times
happens all the time. don't understand the paranoia. it's just a SSN

Old 10-24-2013, 05:12 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,287,567 times
I don't think it's a good idea providing a SSN to an online application or anything else online, for that matter. Maybe to some people it is not a big deal to straighten out a misappropriated SSN, however, I have heard a number of horror stories concerning identity theft and the bottom line is it ruins all the hard work and prudence it takes to acquire (and maintain) good credit. No, I won't be providing mine online to anyone.

So yes, I consider it more than "just a SSN" and it has nothing to do with paranoia but rather good old fashioned common sense. My two cents for this evening!

Old 10-24-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_greco View Post
Well, that's just it. It doesn't happen all the time to me. Of all the websites I've ever visited, that's the second one that asked me for my SSN.

Since I'm from CT, I was just wondering if this is something that happens often in MA. Apparently, it's not.

Thanks for all your responses everyone!

Now back to the ball game!

El

Old 10-25-2013, 09:08 AM

350 posts, read 1,088,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_greco View Post
I've lived through identity theft - it was a mess. In our case, it was not fraudulent charges on our existing credit cards, but rather multiple credit lines were opened in a short period of time with $1000s of charges in only a period of 3 weeks. (When we came across what was going on and put fraud alerts on the credit checking services.) It was hours and hours of phone calls, letters, and months and months of waiting to get everything cleared. Luckily we weren't in the process of applying for a big loan - that's when many people find out - when they get their credit report.

Anyway, my word of advice is to guard your SSN as best as you can. Yes, it's out there anyway, but no need to provide it for various databases when not really needed.

Second word of advice: Get a credit monitoring service - very inexpensive and you will get immediate alerts for any new credit inquiries or new credit lines opened with your name/SSN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts