Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2013, 07:12 AM

417 posts, read 730,454 times

Advertisements

Can you share your usage this last week? Especially if your home is heated using oil. We just bought a home and I am very concerned about heat usage. Want to see if we are using comparable amounts to similar sized homes.

I guess I would need to know the size of your home/tank to compare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 07:38 AM

8,527 posts, read 13,925,497 times
I see a lot of homes. Many of them are quite expensive homes too. I think I've seen Nest thermostats once or maybe twice in a house. I'm sure you'd be fine using a regular programmable thermostat in terms of energy savings, but then you would lose the tracking feature.

If you're really concerned about energy usage, the best thing you can do is simply have a home energy audit from Mass Save.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:40 AM

We have the nest, and its giving me the output but i really wanted to compare my usage with someone else's. meaning energy usage, not usage of the actual thermostat.

we had a programmable thermostat but i opted for the nest bc i would like to be able to turn it down if we leave the house on the weekends or if i had turned it up after a scheduled time in the morning and then want to turn it down/etc. i'm very concerned about oil usage in case you can't tell. all i've been hearing is stories about how pricey people's oil is!

We have a masssave person coming in next week!

Old 10-25-2013, 08:41 AM

mike- you can turn the nest on/off/down/up using your cell/computer if i wasnt clear. (our regular programmable one doesnt let you control it remotely)

Last edited by SpringMom3; 10-25-2013 at 08:53 AM..

Old 10-25-2013, 09:21 AM

2 posts, read 3,908 times
I have a nest and my usage last week was 0... I've had it turned off until last night. Temperature probably never dropped below 70, I have a lot of south facing windows and home is well insulated.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:52 PM

8,527 posts, read 13,925,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringMom3 View Post
mike- you can turn the nest on/off/down/up using your cell/computer if i wasnt clear. (our regular programmable one doesnt let you control it remotely)
There are many thermostats that now have this feature. Not really a feature that appeals to me personally.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:33 PM

15,803 posts, read 21,321,828 times
The nest wouldn't work in my home because there are 3 roommates with different schedules - just because I'm not going to be home in a weekend doesn't mean my roommate won't be, and it's hard to coordinate that. We just have a normal programmable thermostat.

That said, because we have oil heat, ours is set to 60 and has not turned on yet. Electric blankets are your friend.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:46 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,062,696 times
It's extremely difficult to truly compare energy usage with other people. There are so many variables involved.

The biggest being personal preference. Everyone has a different definition of what cold is. Other factors would include: amount of insulation, build quality (drafty house vs tight house), materials used, exterior exposures, house size, how many people live there, sleep schedule, etc.

I'm in the same boat as you. This winter will be the first time I've lived in a house with oil heat. I think the best method is to hunker down and invest in some comfy blankets . I plan to have the heat lower than I've had it in previous years and keep track of how much oil I use. After this winter, I'll have a much better idea of how much oil I use for heat and will be able to plan accordingly next year.

If you have the option, try to get an energy audit done on the house. Drafty windows and proper attic insulation can make a big difference in the amount of heat you need.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:49 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,517,721 times
I have 4 zone heat and cooling. That's $1000 worth of Nest. Not yet ready to spend $1000 for 4 thermostats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts