Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 01:02 PM

204 posts, read 284,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
She said to North Station. I, like others, didn't exactly comprehend what she was getting at. It seemed like such an odd request to pair North Station with JP.
I see. Yes, this one is a tough problem. Lots of areas that would work well for one or the other, not for both. Then again it seems like a common problem - how often are both partners going to find jobs in the same location? Even just on this forum we've seen pairs like Franklin & Billerica, Wakefield and Needham... good luck to the OP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 02:27 PM

44 posts, read 77,528 times
Thank you all for your suggestions. I agree that is an odd pairing, North Station and JP. But it is what it is. So far I got Natick, Melrose and possibly Arlington and Dedham. I think Milton is a good area but I worry (possibly unreasonably) that it is so close to Mattapan. It's good to keep this in mind while I continue looking for jobs. Bottom line is, if I want to work downtown for the same money I could make outside of the city, and be forced to buy a house closer to the city, is really like taking a pay cut.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:57 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,585,524 times
Much more likely to find a house with the acreage you are looking for in Milton than Dedham.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:04 PM

304 posts, read 770,745 times
Yes, I think Melrose with one person taking the orange line to JP would work - that is if the JP job was within walking distance of the orange lines?

Old 11-01-2013, 03:47 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,880,992 times
MBTA.com > Commuter Rail Maps and Schedules

Worcester line.

You could take the train together to Back Bay then split to your opposite directions.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:57 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,136,247 times
If you can't find anything in Melrose, Milton, or Dedham, I might look at Reading or maybe Wilmington and commute via train. The train station in each is 30 minutes from North Station by commuter rail, where you can connect to the Orange Line. However, the trip to JP will probably be a bit over an hour, depending on how far from the Orange Line your partner works.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown_mama View Post
Yes, I think Melrose with one person taking the orange line to JP would work - that is if the JP job was within walking distance of the orange lines?
^This

Orange line is the way to go, either live in Melrose or JP.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:30 PM

Default Somerville/Cambridge vs Jamaica Plain

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I would say so, yes. Heck, Arlington to JP isn't easy.

This will sound odd to you, but among 20/30 somethings in Boston, I found that people decided to be on one side of the city(often river) or the other. The Cambridge / Somerville people on one side, and the JP community on the other. The public transportation, and even roads, aren't set up for going across easily. Most things are into the city, then back out. Heck, I live in Somerville and lived for awhile right near the Arlington line outside of Davis Sq, Somerville, and driving over to JP was a long involved process.
I've noticed this as well. Is there a reason other than commute that the young professionals pick one over the other. Both seem to attract similar young, hip, intellectual people. JP more people in committed relationships, Somerville more unattached and still looking??????

Old 11-03-2013, 11:37 AM

44 posts, read 77,528 times
Thank you all for all the thoughtful comments and suggestions. Will definitely have Melrose on the map, although my partner works closer to Riverway on Green Line. MBTA trip planner shows about 1 hour from Melrose to Riverway, and when you add driving/walking to the orange line and then to the office, it likely will be closer to 1.5 hours. I thought about living in JP, but the schools seem not to be the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts