Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 08:44 PM

44 posts, read 77,495 times

Advertisements

Hello, my partner and I are looking to buy a home in the next year. I am looking at jobs and one of the good ones I found would be close to North Station. I was originally considering jobs outside the city so we could have more reasonable commutes and more home for the money, but now I am considering taking this job downtown (it doesn't pay more than others but has good prospects). I would only take it if we could find a town where we could buy a 3-4 bedroom house with about 0.3 acres of land, with good schools for under $550,000. My partner works in JP. I looked and looked at the map and for the life of me I can not find a town that would meet our requirements, that would have reasonable commutes to North Station and JP. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 10:49 PM

719 posts, read 981,105 times
Wasn't there just a thread about this? Try Newburyport or Amesbury. It's possible Ipswich or Beverly might also fulfill your needs, although the latter is starting to get a bit more urban 'feeling.' All are on the rail line.

*Edit* Hamilton/Wenham possibly, too. Though, frankly, I think you may be asking a bit much on the land requirements. Try Amesbury, though -- it's right across the river from Newburyport, so it's a quick drive to the train station.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:03 PM

41,940 posts, read 36,707,217 times
I'm at a loss. North shore is great for North Station, but for JP? I don't see it.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:05 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,132,375 times
At the very least, there's a direct connection to JP from North Station via the Orange Line, but that sounds like a terribly long commute. OP, can you quantify what you mean by a "reasonable" commute?

Old 10-30-2013, 11:45 PM

44 posts, read 77,495 times
Thank you for your replies! I would like to keep the commute under 1 hour. We have 2 young kids and I don't want to spend my time communting. I realize the lots might be smaller than my dream 0.3 acres and I'd be okay with less. I am looking at Arlington, although the offerings are limited under 550,000. I think the North Shore is way too far for communting to JP, isn't it?

Old 10-31-2013, 08:02 AM

41,940 posts, read 36,707,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi12 View Post
I think the North Shore is way too far for communting to JP, isn't it?

I would say so, yes. Heck, Arlington to JP isn't easy.

This will sound odd to you, but among 20/30 somethings in Boston, I found that people decided to be on one side of the city(often river) or the other. The Cambridge / Somerville people on one side, and the JP community on the other. The public transportation, and even roads, aren't set up for going across easily. Most things are into the city, then back out. Heck, I live in Somerville and lived for awhile right near the Arlington line outside of Davis Sq, Somerville, and driving over to JP was a long involved process.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:17 AM

28 posts, read 42,899 times
Quincy?

Old 10-31-2013, 09:22 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,745,434 times
When I lived in North/East Natick it was about 45-50 minute driving commute to JP taking back roads. I also went into North Station from time to time by driving to Lincoln (20 minutes) and taking that into North Station (32 minutes on the express train). Taking the train from Waltham is another possibility but doesn't save much time due to all the traffic between Natick and Waltham. It's easier to take Rt27/126 north to Lincoln. Door to door is a little over an hour to an office near North Station.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:48 AM

204 posts, read 284,260 times
Maybe Melrose? Good schools, nice town, lots of homes in the 450-550 range. Orange line to North Station and then JP. But driving from Melrose to JP could be hellish. Dedham or Milton could work better. I agree that north and south seem to be their own bubbles.

edit: And Amesbury or Newburyport?! To JP?? Were you replying to another thread possibly?

Old 10-31-2013, 12:25 PM

719 posts, read 981,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masshawk View Post
Maybe Melrose? Good schools, nice town, lots of homes in the 450-550 range. Orange line to North Station and then JP. But driving from Melrose to JP could be hellish. Dedham or Milton could work better. I agree that north and south seem to be their own bubbles.

edit: And Amesbury or Newburyport?! To JP?? Were you replying to another thread possibly?
She said to North Station. I, like others, didn't exactly comprehend what she was getting at. It seemed like such an odd request to pair North Station with JP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts