Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 07:41 AM

837 posts, read 1,217,615 times

Advertisements

The other thing I wanted to add: I've heard the adjective "provincial" batted around to describe those of us who live in Southern NE's metro areas in that we, collectively, tend to stick around if we're born and raised here. To a greater extent, we (collectively, again) are not a very mobile group because everything we need is compacted into our areas, so there's no need to drive X hours to, say, go to a supermarket. To me, driving out to Springfield or North Adams constitutes a road trip. I know it really isn't in terms of what "road trip" means to most people, but when you don't have the need to regularly drive such distances, yeah, it's a road trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 08:32 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,880,992 times
In a time of such turnover and disloyalty from employers, why would people move and uproot their lives to accommodate a job that could go away tomorrow? No way am I advocating at 90mi commute, but why spend the time, money, and effort relocating for a job, just to get laid off the next month?

I personally would much rather live where I like, deal with a long commute, and search for a job closer. Not to mention with telecommuting on the rise, we might not have to physically report to the officer but twice a week.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:35 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,880,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xo_kizzy_xo View Post
We have friends who are moving to the Fitchburg/Gardner/Athol area before the end of the year. One of them works on the South Shore; the other has the luxury of telecommuting. When they told us about the move, were were gobsmacked because of the commute time -- north central MA to the South Shore?!? ARE YOU NUTS?!?

They're moving up there because were priced out of anything decent in the Boston area, and the one working on the South Shore makes a decent salary, so he's willing to brave the commute. I'll be very surprised if he still has the job 6 months from now, TBH. I can't see anyone doing THAT kind of commute day after day. I just can't. I wouldn't (says the gal who lives in Metro Boston and has never had a commuting issue thanks to either the T or driving opposite traffic).
Well thats exactly it, she can make it work for now, then enact her rights as an employee at will (you know her employer would) and get a job in Leominster or Worcester

Old 11-14-2013, 09:22 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,751,074 times
Quote:
We have friends who are moving to the Fitchburg/Gardner/Athol area before the end of the year. One of them works on the South Shore; the other has the luxury of telecommuting. When they told us about the move, were were gobsmacked because of the commute time -- north central MA to the South Shore?!? ARE YOU NUTS?!?

They're moving up there because were priced out of anything decent in the Boston area, and the one working on the South Shore makes a decent salary, so he's willing to brave the commute. I'll be very surprised if he still has the job 6 months from now, TBH. I can't see anyone doing THAT kind of commute day after day. I just can't. I wouldn't (says the gal who lives in Metro Boston and has never had a commuting issue thanks to either the T or driving opposite traffic).
There are plenty of areas in SE Mass that are MUCH closer to the South Shore yet offer the affordability of Central Mass. On another note, how can a dual income couple - one of whom makes a decent salary and the other whom has a good enough job to allow telecommuting - be priced out of the area between Rt-24 and Rt-3?

Old 11-14-2013, 02:45 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,083,195 times
Honestly the drive from Springfield to downtown Boston is not that rough if you can somehow avoid traffic.

I actually commuted to Watertown for 18 months before transfering to Hartford.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:57 PM

8,811 posts, read 6,134,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
In a time of such turnover and disloyalty from employers, why would people move and uproot their lives to accommodate a job that could go away tomorrow? No way am I advocating at 90mi commute, but why spend the time, money, and effort relocating for a job, just to get laid off the next month?

I personally would much rather live where I like, deal with a long commute, and search for a job closer. Not to mention with telecommuting on the rise, we might not have to physically report to the officer but twice a week.
That is my philosophy as well. I had a colleague who commutes from Mason, NH to Burlington and his viewpoint is that when you truly love where you live you can easily tolerate a long commute.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Well thats exactly it, she can make it work for now, then enact her rights as an employee at will (you know her employer would) and get a job in Leominster or Worcester
I wouldn't be surprised if that eventually becomes part of the plan. I'd think so, given how horrendous the commute would be, especially in winter.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
There are plenty of areas in SE Mass that are MUCH closer to the South Shore yet offer the affordability of Central Mass. On another note, how can a dual income couple - one of whom makes a decent salary and the other whom has a good enough job to allow telecommuting - be priced out of the area between Rt-24 and Rt-3?
I honestly don't know. The only parameter I know of is that they definitely wanted a house, not a condo, and definitely not an apartment.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:

I work with a lot of people who have been priced out of the general area where our employer is located. I know at least three people who commute at least 40-50 miles one way. More power to them. I could never do that, but that's me.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:01 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,516,438 times
Quote:

There is NO good way to get from North Central MA to the South Shore. Ouch!! Route 2 to 128 is about the only option. Talk about maddening traffic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts