Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 11:21 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,215,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
A 1 hour commute to work equals a forty hour work week spent in your car every month.
Exactly. When you really put it in perspective, numbers don't lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 12:57 PM

7,912 posts, read 7,739,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
In a time of such turnover and disloyalty from employers, why would people move and uproot their lives to accommodate a job that could go away tomorrow? No way am I advocating at 90mi commute, but why spend the time, money, and effort relocating for a job, just to get laid off the next month?

I personally would much rather live where I like, deal with a long commute, and search for a job closer. Not to mention with telecommuting on the rise, we might not have to physically report to the officer but twice a week.
I strongly disagree.

There WAS a time in the past when people could work and live in the same town or city. Now that frankly isn't the case. These days you have to go to where work is...period. If it means driving or moving so be it. We dont' live in a situtation where things always come to you. I've seen plenty of businesses leave or shut down but that doesn't exactly deter people that work there. I had a boss whose family lived in Danbury CT. This job was on the south shore of Mass. The company paid for his apartment on the south shore and every third weekend he'd visit. Crazy? Maybe. But I'd argue he was probably one of the best bosses I've had.

Here's a funny story a bit with the company. During a store manager training a graduate was asked where he wanted to go. He applied to EVERY place in the country that was "_____ Beach" so they knew he wanted to go to the coasts. They sent him to Detroit! Hey it has a coast...you don't really have much of a say in the process so he had to take it.

I will say Telecommutting can be nice and it's ironic because I mentioned it in a job interview only to the point of what if there's a major snow storm etc. Well there was Nemo...we lost four to five days of productivity. While in grad school the same thing happened a bit and losing two to three days in a class is pretty huge.

Some people do fear change. 15 years ago a relative said no one will buy things online. Heck Paul Krugman said the internet will be to economic life what the fax machine was!

Lastly even if something can be telecommutted it can't hurt to at least go up there once. If you are dealing directly with customers eventually they might want to see you. Skype can help here.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:10 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,749,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua
A 1 hour commute to work equals a forty hour work week spent in your car every month.
Exactly. When you really put it in perspective, numbers don't lie.
But driving 1 hour each way to work is better than not having a job and staying at home right? I don't know anyone who works from home everyday and only a handful who can do it about once a week. When you compare a 1 hour commute to the average 45 min commute, it's more like an extra 40-hour work week once every 4 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts