Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 11:35 AM

23 posts, read 69,092 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a new role in his company which would require a move for our family (two boys 4.5 and 20 months and us). He would run two offices; one in Braintree and the other in providence. More time would be spent in Braintree.

Looking for thoughts on towns with great schools, great people, newer homes and nearby shopping. We are comi from jersey city nj and love it here but are really excited about the move.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 11:40 AM

8,525 posts, read 13,902,353 times
What kind of town are you looking for (urban, suburban, rural, something in between those)? What kind of lifestyle do you live (outdoors-y, homebody, shop-a-holic, always eat out, fitness obsessed, etc)? Are you looking to buy or rent? What is your housing budget? What type of home would you prefer (condo, single family, etc) and what are the parameters for that house (beds, baths, garage spaces, etc)?

Old 11-13-2013, 11:52 AM

What kind of town are you looking for?
something in between those

What kind of lifestyle do you live?

Enjoys the outdoors but not particularly outdoorsy, enjoy spending time at home but also enjoy going out ... Movies, dinner, concerts, access to quality supermarket (whole foods, trader joes), fitness obsessed,

Are you looking to buy or rent?
Looking to buy

What is your housing budget?
Under 650,000

What type of home would you prefer (condo, single family, etc)
Prefer a single family house min. 4 bd. 2.5 bath, basement, 2 car garage attached, central air, spacious kitchen.

We want to find the place we will be for a long time so schools are of the utmost importance. Thanks!!

Old 11-13-2013, 03:35 PM

I'd probably check out Canton, Mansfield, and Easton in that order. All three are easy commutes to Braintree and reasonable drives to Providence as well. Canton and Mansfield have solid school systems and I'd say the same about Easton but I'm just not sure. You can always look at MCAS scores on the state website and sites like Great Schools are useful resources as well. I think you'll find as you look closer and closer at these three towns that they all check most if not all of the boxes you've laid out.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:42 PM

thanks MikePRU.... I've actually been doing a lot of research today and feel that Mansfield and Foxboro seem to check out. Thoughts between those two? School systems seem to be on par with each other... and it'll be a matter of finding the right home. Any issues with any of those towns in regards to flood zones or other issues that locals would know about? There is some new construction Lincoln Place in Mansfield... any insider info?

Old 11-13-2013, 04:14 PM

156 posts, read 323,623 times
Just be aware that in Mansfield there is the Comcast Center which causes major traffic issues in the area and in Foxboro is Gillette Stadium/Patriot Place which is also a traffic nightmare during an event. I'd avoid buying a house in those areas of either town.
They are both nice towns and are quite similar but personally I prefer Foxboro.

You can find the entertainment you are looking for in Foxboro. Patriot Place has movies, restaurants, shopping, concerts (as does Comcast in Mansfield), even medical offices and a Trader Joe's recently opened there too.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:33 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,583,492 times
I would consider Walpole, Sharon, Canton, Franklin and possibly Wrentham, all lovely towns for leisure outdoor lovers. Easton is a quaint old country town and the best commute to both places. Some people don't like the public schools there.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:17 PM

23,079 posts, read 18,221,633 times
Foxboro or Mansfield

Old 11-13-2013, 07:51 PM

Foxboro is not a bad option. I forgot to mention that. Walpole is a great choice as well. I would definitely add those to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makolly View Post
Just be aware that in Mansfield there is the Comcast Center which causes major traffic issues in the area and in Foxboro is Gillette Stadium/Patriot Place which is also a traffic nightmare during an event. I'd avoid buying a house in those areas of either town.
They are both nice towns and are quite similar but personally I prefer Foxboro.

You can find the entertainment you are looking for in Foxboro. Patriot Place has movies, restaurants, shopping, concerts (as does Comcast in Mansfield), even medical offices and a Trader Joe's recently opened there too.
That's the double edged sword of Foxboro and probably the reason it never pops into my mind when people ask about what towns to live in. All the shops, restaurants, etc at Patriot Place are great to have. The traffic from Patriots games, concerts, Revolution games, and other events can be a real hassle if you are in that corner of town.

Walpole is a great town too. The one thing I would say about Walpole is that there's a maximum security prison in town. When some people (not all) hear this, they cross the town off their list. Some on this website may debate the validity of my statement, but as a real estate agent I've seen it happen many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts