Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 07:34 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,986,548 times

Advertisements

They were written up in the CCT several months back and I've referred a lot of people to their website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 08:08 AM

119 posts, read 175,029 times
A friend of mine told me about it and I went to several events and had a great time. It's great for young professional's on the Cape and they're offering more events now than they used to. I was hoping to meet new people for friendship's rather than business networking, but most of the people were only interested in networking. Overall though, I think it's a great group and I met some great people through it.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:57 PM

543 posts, read 1,453,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodcathy View Post
Just a thought on "going over the bridge".
It's not that we're in a rut, or have phobias. It's that, if you go much further north, it's a different world.
Somehow it just doesn't seem as kind and compassionate. I grew up on the North Shore, lived on the South Shore, worked in Boston for a long time. And loved every minute of it.
We treat each other differently here. My kids can spot an off-Cape driver in a heartbeat! Whether from MA, NY, NJ, CT....doesn't matter. AND, they can identify, probably with 90% accuracy, what state they're from before seeing the license plate.
When I stand in line at the market, I can tell if someone's a visitor by how they treat the grocer. In restaurants, by how they treat the server.
Courtesy is part of our lives. We teach it to our children. It's not that courtesy is not practiced elsewhere, it's just a way of life here. We're shocked when someone cuts us off in traffic or doesn't yield the right of way. We're appalled when someone is rude and obnoxious to a cashier or waiter. And it happens often.
My kids are growing up in a great environment, I know my neighbors, and I'll know if one of my kids is doing something wrong within 2 minutes of the event. Much to their dismay. I also know that my neighbors are looking out for me and my children. And my children know that, too.
I have many friends in my old neighborhoods, but they always want to come see me and stay for a while. When I say I'll come for visit, they say "Why don't we come see YOU".
So pardon us if we prefer to live, and stay, in a place where common courtesy and concern for your neighbors is expected, and not a surprise. And we appreciate the fact that we live in a place where so many people drive hours just for a weekend of what we experience every day.

I have read this thread and have to jump in here. I visit my inlaws quite frequently, and everytime we are driving in our car (NJ license plate) we are cut off, beeped at, and sometimes cursed at, (hardly treated with courtesy), especially in the summer. When we use my in-laws car (Mass license plate) to go to the beach, the change in behavior is amazing. Can you explain this?

Old 03-05-2008, 10:07 AM

951 posts, read 1,642,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njchick View Post
...and everytime we are driving in our car (NJ license plate) we are cut off, beeped at, and sometimes cursed at, (hardly treated with courtesy), especially in the summer. When we use my in-laws car (Mass license plate) to go to the beach, the change in behavior is amazing. Can you explain this?

If you don't know where you are going, looking around and can't understand the virtues of a rotary, you are asking for it. Locals here have a low tolerance for people on vacation. As the local bumper sticker says: "I'm not on your vacation".

I don't know, maybe you are driving like someone from NJ (whatever that means)? Personally if I "beep" at you, you are doing something wrong. That's what the horn is for. Sorry you feel like a target. Not all of us here are rude, but I hear you....it seems to happen as you described...sometimes.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:20 AM

8 posts, read 20,670 times
Smile pearltea

Hi, I am a native "Cape Codder" and if Pearltea would like to ask more questions I too will be able to provide straightforwaed, truthful answers.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:58 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,009,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njchick View Post
I have read this thread and have to jump in here. I visit my inlaws quite frequently, and everytime we are driving in our car (NJ license plate) we are cut off, beeped at, and sometimes cursed at, (hardly treated with courtesy), especially in the summer. When we use my in-laws car (Mass license plate) to go to the beach, the change in behavior is amazing. Can you explain this?
do you drive your inlaws car differently than your own. i know i drive my parents car differently than my own because it's their car not mine. My hubby works on cape and travels to the cape on the weekends (for fishing). Almost every time he goes to the cape for fishing (TOWING a 26 foot fishing boat) someone from out of state cuts him off or beebs at him because he is driving too slow. My favorite which I have experienced first hand is when someone cuts right directly in front of him while towing on the rotary. This certainly gets the heart rate UP!

Old 03-06-2008, 07:51 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,986,548 times
I used to get the same thing but in reverse. MA tags on the NJ coast.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:41 PM

71 posts, read 208,094 times
Home for spring break. Sometimes I forget the charm this place has even in these dull months.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:32 AM

414 posts, read 2,276,317 times
The Cape Cod area is nice...but keep in mind the cost of living on the Cape is high, and good paying jobs are very hard to come by in these parts.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:52 PM

29 posts, read 189,223 times
I miss Chappaquiddick...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts