Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 10:50 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,017,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Where are there "bad" areas of Salem? I've walked and drove around quite a bid, but nothing I'd approach being bad.
Around the former St. Joe's church
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 02:25 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,585,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I just searched that. The new construction apartment building looks pretty and affordable, on paper. Oh well, too bad.

If I was driving by the old church I would have thought, at a glance, it was an LDS temple rather than a Catholic church, rather white and boxy.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Salem is usually safe and walkable, but it also depends on where you walk.
They have their 'bad' areas and I would stay out them even in the daylight.
Marblehead has no unsafe areas and is quite nice. Pretty pricey, though.
But try to drive anywhere in a hurry Oy Vey.
Swampscott has not much to do. imo.
Any other towns you'd recommend I add to the list?

Old 11-26-2013, 05:31 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,724,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post

That old big ugly white church that was torn down? Not a pretty area, but wouldn't think twice of walking around during the day.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:28 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,211,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Where are there "bad" areas of Salem? I've walked and drove around quite a bid, but nothing I'd approach being bad.
Check out Essex Street and Church street during the day this time of year..also the waterfront (or harbor)
is riddled with crime..

If one is just passing through it's easy to oversee the problems these areas have, but after spending an 8
hour day there......u will see what myself and others have referred to.

Being approached for money or cigarettes, insane people walking around talking OUT LOUD to themselves..
etc..It's easy to feel threatened, even if your street savy as some of these folks travel in groups.

What get's me is that you see fat pork barrel federal construction projects going on, yet..the government
doesn't have the money to have decent shelters in the area with such a vast amount of homeless folks..
I mean really, a decent 24 hour shelter would be pennies on the dollar compared to replacing the windows
in the "historic library" (under construction), building a new courthouse (already done) and the upgrade of the T in the area (currently under construction)..

Last edited by brienzi; 11-26-2013 at 07:49 PM..

Old 11-26-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post

Being approached for money or cigarettes, insane people walking around talking OUT LOUD to themselves..
etc..It's easy to feel threatened, even if your street savy as some of these folks travel in groups.

Well, shoot, that isn't dangerous. People asking for cigs or change? Or mentally ill homeless? That isn't dangerous to me. I guess maybe it is living in Boston, Chicago and SF, but that is a normal day walking to work in an urban environment. I mean, seriously, there are people selling pills outside my workplace near North Station, still, there isn't ANYTHING dangerous about the area. If someone is threatened by that stuff, well, shoot... they lived scared.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:21 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,211,988 times
I don't live scared my friend...I'm a construction super and can pull my own weight but would rather not have to look over my shoulder when I'm walking around, especially where i live.
If your street savvy and don't mind dealing with that stuff... that's cool..Me i prefer not too, i guess that's why i live in the
subs..where the crime rate is low.
Your right, the stuff around North Station, China Town and Dorchester is worse than Salem for sure..too each there own.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:22 PM

Fair enough, I just am always confused when people conflate standard urban stuff with "crime". Beggers, some homeless, etc aren't crime. Muggings, stabbings, gang violence... now that would be a concern.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:32 AM

I don't smoke, so I won't have to worry about being chased down for a cigarette.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:56 AM

3,573 posts, read 4,485,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I don't smoke, so I won't have to worry about being chased down for a cigarette.
You'd be asked anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts