Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 07:22 PM

444 posts, read 817,373 times

Advertisements

Every time I moved out of an apartment, I spend a day or two being really OCD and cleaning everything top to bottom. I wipe out all the cabinets, clean the bathroom and kitchen, mop and vacuum the floors, blah blah blah.

I swear every freaking time, they deduct money from my security deposit for cleaning. One time I was charged a $150 fee for cleaning the microwave. Last time it was that my oven cleaner left streak. They sent me a picture of it, and it's really hard for me to not think they were looking for reasons to charge me a cleaning fee. Another place charged everyone a carpet cleaning fee, and you were not allowed to do it your self. Other places say you have to pay a cleaning fee only if the apartment looks like it did when they gave it to you, but then charge everyone a cleaning fee "because you cannot make it look as clean as a cleaning crew can"

I'm getting ready to move out of my current place. I'm thinking about saying F-it; I'm not cleaning anything. I'm in a fairly large apartment complex. I think they are the WORST about returning deposits.

Does anyone think it really matters? If you clean your place, do they spare you the evils of the cleaning charge? If you don't, how much do they typically take out for a cleaning charge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 07:11 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,737,208 times
It really depends on your landlord. I rarely get charged one because I rent from owners. In the times I rented from a complex I was charged. I don't remember how much, and honestly it just wasn't worth the time to fight it, which I'm sure they depend on.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:53 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,588,263 times
You should leave the apartment in clean condition as a courtesy to the people who will be renting following you. Think what if you rented a place and the people ahead did that to you.

If your landlord is unfairly keeping your security deposit, I would call the Attorney General's office. Tenants rights are strongly defended in Massachusetts.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:23 AM

3,573 posts, read 4,486,052 times
I does matter. The above poster is right. Renting from owners is usually a
better bet. Large complexes keep an attorney on retainer.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:27 PM

417 posts, read 729,678 times
Insane. I have rented from an owner of a condo unit, a big apartment complex and from an owner of a triple decker and have never been charged a fee and theres no way that we could have possibly left it in identical condition. we just leave it clean.

i know our old landlord painted after we left but that's all the norm i think for when tenants turn over. we were there 3+ years, its impossible to leave it identical. everything in there is 3 years older.

I would also report these landlords like PP mentioned.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:32 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,981,885 times
Generally, any rental contract requires the tenant to leave the premises in "broom-clean" condition. Larger complexes will automatically contract out for cleaning a newly vacant place. Owner occupied may keep a security deposit if the place is left in such a condition that the landlord has to take extraordinary measures to make it presentable for the next tenant. This could include removing the smell of smoke or animals.
My recommendation for the future would be to make sure your rental contract specifies what you are responsible for as the tenant. When you leave, clean as best you can and then ask the landlord or the landlord's representative to do a walk-through with you before you leave. Take pictures of the condition at the time of the walk-through. Iron out any details/additional costs at that time so there are no surprises and you can challenge any costs for which you do not believe you are responsible.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:54 AM

In MA the landlord and tenant must go through the apartment
with a list that they each sign off on. This is detailed information
on the condition of the apartment at move - in. Don't know if other
states do this.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:22 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,327,751 times
Would it be possible to arrange a walk through after you cleaned it but, prior to moving out?
It gives you a chance to correct what they find.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
Would it be possible to arrange a walk through after you cleaned it but, prior to moving out?
It gives you a chance to correct what they find.
Yes, I used to own numerous rental units. Only kept part of one deposit. Man was
the apartment grungy. Spaghetti in the walls and ceilings.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:37 AM

7 posts, read 18,652 times
As a landlord of 20 years, (3 deckers) I always appreciate it when someone cleans on the way out! Most leave the unit in ok shape, and we pay a cleaner, maybe paint, as part of normal turnover. There have only been a few times we have kept a security deposit, and they were extreme cases.

Asking for a walk through before you turn over the keys is a good idea. I agree that large complexes run by a management company seem to set their own rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts