Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 09:33 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,880,992 times

Advertisements

I have a Carrheart vest for my outdoor work, a casual zip up wool coat, and a longer dress up wool coat. Pretty much covers the winter.

People are right about the layers. I always wear something over a long sleeve shirt inside as well as under the coat. Just a coat and a dress shirt is not going to cut it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 09:41 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,728,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
I generally agree, but would recommend at least one wind-breaking type layer. I can stand around in 0 degree weather just fine, but it gets brutal when it's windy.

Oh sure, good call. I have a Marmot rain coat (thin) that doubles as that for me. Often wear a fleece under it if it is colder.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:48 AM

9,918 posts, read 15,482,556 times
L L Bean, especially for the kids. They stand behind their clothes forever and have free shipping.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:27 AM

4,543 posts, read 4,791,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It isn't cold yet...
Speak for yourself Monday it was ~14F when my daughter got on the bus!

Anyway, for going to work, going shopping, etc. I have one outfit. Usually it's old running shoes, jeans, and a snowboarding jacket I got a Sports Chalet when I lived in CA. Pretty similar to Dicks, but a little higher end. It never gets cold enough to really need more than a T shirt under the jacket. HOWEVER, my office is in an old mill, with almost original windows, so it gets cold in there! I either wear a light jacket (fleece liner) or a sweater.

I've got a separate outfit for hiking and camping in the snow, almost all from REI or EMS.

Even now (especially over the next few days) you can find great deals. Some places will still have leftover 2012 winter coats on clearance. I bought a set of snowshoes last November at EMS for 75% off because they were NOS from 2011.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:57 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,751,074 times
I noticed the employees at ski resorts always wear Helly Hansen down jackets so I went out and bought one. Wow, what a difference between this and any other sub-$200 jacket I've ever worn!

Old 11-27-2013, 11:22 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,728,963 times
Helly Hanson is a good brand. Had rain gear by them I got from Sierra Trading Post, excellent investment. Lost it in a Cambodian mishap

Old 11-27-2013, 11:31 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,751,074 times
Quote:
Helly Hanson is a good brand. Had rain gear by them I got from Sierra Trading Post, excellent investment. Lost it in a Cambodian mishap
When I researched the company, I found they are based in Norway and actually specialize in ice mountain climbing gear so it's probably better for cold and high wind conditions than regular ski jackets. I think they normally go for over $300 but I found mine on the bargain rack at Burlington Coat Factory for like $130.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:37 AM

226 posts, read 384,366 times
there's rarely any need for avalanche gear or mountain gear. seriously. this is an urban area. a wool peacoat or trench with smart layers underneath will suffice on any day when you aren't actually skiing, rescuing hikers or shoveling your driveway.

i really don't understand dressing like you are skiing in the arctic when you are walking around a city or suburb.

as for layers. invest in things like long johns, thermals, silk underwear, etc and put them under your outfits. also, buy some quality wool sweaters.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:04 PM

613 posts, read 937,503 times
Quote:
It isn't cold yet, but honestly, I don't get "winter gear". Most of my friends don't either. Add a sweater or sweatshirt depending on what you're doing to your fall/spring coat (I have a carhart with horse blanket lining) and you're good all winter with the addition of hat/gloves (I just get cheapy ones from family dollar or something, no good reason to spend money on these things unless you're a skier). Seriously. Worst case scenario it gets really cold for a week all year and you add a thermal layer.
People living in Mass. really need "winter gear". I don't know where timberline lives, but it gets really cold for way more than just "a week all year" here in Mass. A "deep freeze" can last for weeks. Then there's blizzards.

And yeah, layers are great. But you also need a serious winter coat. I have 2: the "Baxter State Parka" from llbean, & the "Rugged Ridge Parka" for $189. The "Rugged Ridge" is good for almost anything down to.......15 degrees say; the "Baxter State" down to below zero.

I also just got a pair of llbean fleece-lined jeans--they seem great, & also ordered new "Duofold" long-johns. Then there's snow tires, snow-blowers, etc........Winter's a serious business here......

Old 11-27-2013, 12:06 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,880,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriptkitten View Post
there's rarely any need for avalanche gear or mountain gear. seriously. this is an urban area. a wool peacoat or trench with smart layers underneath will suffice on any day when you aren't actually skiing, rescuing hikers or shoveling your driveway.

i really don't understand dressing like you are skiing in the arctic when you are walking around a city or suburb.

as for layers. invest in things like long johns, thermals, silk underwear, etc and put them under your outfits. also, buy some quality wool sweaters.
Yea I only tend to wear a wind breaking winter coat if I am shoveling in the rain or skiing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts