Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 02:37 PM

837 posts, read 1,218,086 times

Advertisements

Can't recommend thermal underwear enough, leggings more so than tops. When it's under 30F and a blustery wind in the dead of January, your bare skin under your jeans or other pants just doesn't cut it :brr:

As others have already mentioned, you want layers.

I have a LL Bean down jacket that must be at least 10 years old. Warmest winter jacket I've ever owned. Paired with lined boots, a stretchy wool hat that hugs my head, a scarf, and fleece gloves lined with Thinsulate, I'm good to go.

BTW, you want your winter boots to be maybe a half size to a size larger than your shoe size so you can comfortably wear thick socks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 09:06 PM

13 posts, read 20,562 times
Thank you ALL for so much input! We were there last weekend, which we were told was the coldest it's been in November in Boston in more than 60 years. So, yes, it really was cold...and yes, we really were walking all over creation in jeans and hoodies. *BAD* idea. Good gracious, the wind is so *biting*. It cut straight through our clothes and chilled us to the bone. So, whether or not everyone needs dedicated winter gear is not something I can decide...the only thing I know is that *we* will need dedicated winter gear. We will be living in a walking community...our daughter will walk to and from school each day, and we will use public transit almost exclusively. Being out in the cold for extended periods of time will be a normal part of our days, so well need to be prepared.

So, only one more question: Will my daughter get too hot with long johns under her clothes at school?

Old 12-01-2013, 07:50 AM

8,525 posts, read 13,910,379 times
Personally, I dress by adding outer layers which can be easily removed when indoors so that I'm not uncomfortable. I only use long underwear when I'm outdoors for an extended period of time like going to watch the Pats beat Manning and the Broncos on a frigid Sunday afternoon in Foxboro.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:34 PM

3,573 posts, read 4,486,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourinamillion View Post
Thank you ALL for so much input! We were there last weekend, which we were told was the coldest it's been in November in Boston in more than 60 years. So, yes, it really was cold...and yes, we really were walking all over creation in jeans and hoodies. *BAD* idea. Good gracious, the wind is so *biting*. It cut straight through our clothes and chilled us to the bone. So, whether or not everyone needs dedicated winter gear is not something I can decide...the only thing I know is that *we* will need dedicated winter gear. We will be living in a walking community...our daughter will walk to and from school each day, and we will use public transit almost exclusively. Being out in the cold for extended periods of time will be a normal part of our days, so well need to be prepared.

So, only one more question: Will my daughter get too hot with long johns under her clothes at school?
Yes she will. She needs to take them off when she arrives and vice versa.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:40 PM

4,548 posts, read 4,794,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Yes she will. She needs to take them off when she arrives and vice versa.
Taking off long johns is a bit of a chore for a school kid . She's better off with snow pants, easy to take off at school. Downside is that nice snow pants are a lot more expensive than good long johns . On the other hand, I bought some decent snow pants for myself at the Columbia outlet in Wrentham for ~50% off last winter (January or February)

My daughter needs to wear short sleeves or she cooks in her classroom!

Old 12-01-2013, 04:55 PM

8,525 posts, read 13,910,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Taking off long johns is a bit of a chore for a school kid . She's better off with snow pants, easy to take off at school. Downside is that nice snow pants are a lot more expensive than good long johns . On the other hand, I bought some decent snow pants for myself at the Columbia outlet in Wrentham for ~50% off last winter (January or February)

I wish they still had the North Face outlet store in Wrentham. Their winter stuff is quite expensive (more reasonable at the outlet store) but fantastic and lasts forever. Sadly, it closed years ago.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:46 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,753,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post

My daughter usually brings snow pants to school and puts them on before recess and takes them off upon returning to the classroom. Snow pants don't need to be expensive. I usually get a new pair every year from BJ's for under $20.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:09 AM

4,672 posts, read 3,429,200 times
I second skipping long johns for your little one. Just buy some snow pants (I would have repped Parsec but it wouldn't let me). I usually buy a good brand used from eBay. Kids tend to grow out of the nice ones before they show any sign of wear. The school is going to request you send a pair to school everyday anyway. They will need them for recess. She can just take them off when she gets to school. Also I have my son wear snow boots to school and he changes to sneakers when he gets there. Some schools will let you keep a pair at school, I just send his in his backpack. Kids tend to adjust well to snow and cold weather. I would suggest finding an outside sport or winter activity. Personally I love winter.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:27 PM

392 posts, read 914,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I second skipping long johns for your little one. Just buy some snow pants (I would have repped Parsec but it wouldn't let me).
Same here, Parsec is quick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I usually buy a good brand used from eBay. Kids tend to grow out of the nice ones before they show any sign of wear. The school is going to request you send a pair to school everyday anyway.
Second that. You can then resell these pants on ebay next year.
And yes, schools do request "appropriate cold weather attire" and stress out having snow pants. Besides, since you are here it's worth it to explore winter activities with your child, and any playing in the snow as well as sledding is best when your kid wears snow pants.

As for being frugal and how much to spend on a warm coat etc - this is a debate of quantity vs quality. A good coat will last for many years, but if you only plan to live here for say two winters a cheap one will do.

I also agree with the fact that people have different tolerance for cold weather. Someone coming here from a place with warmer climate and pointing out how cold they were while visiting, clearly would need warmer clothes than someone else who probably barely noticed recent cold spells.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:43 PM

4,548 posts, read 4,794,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
My daughter usually brings snow pants to school and puts them on before recess and takes them off upon returning to the classroom. Snow pants don't need to be expensive. I usually get a new pair every year from BJ's for under $20.
I said "nice" . I personally get my daughter Target snowpants for $20. But if we were going to snowshoe, I might be tempted to get her some nicer North Face or Columbia, etc. snowpants that are $50+.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts