Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 09:24 AM

837 posts, read 1,218,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Unfortunately, many communities try to secure good schools by keeping poorer/working class people out. They do that through zoning and other means of regulation that keep the town unaffordable and prevent the real estate operators from building anything other than large sf houses on large lots. That way the newcomers are sure to be at least as affluent as the existing residents and their children will be good students who test well. Class prejudice is the biggest obstacle to more inclusive growth and development, as well as to more dense forms of development: the NIMBY factor is all about preserving the existing character of a community and not taking the risk that newcomers will bring more traffic, social problems, crime, falling property values, etc.
I see this happening in my town, and it thoroughly disgusts me. My town is so afraid bringing in more business (and therefore offset the property tax) because OMG WE'LL BECOME JUST LIKE OUR "SLUMLORD" NEIGHBORS WHO DID EXACTLY THAT that they'll thwart any kind of economic growth, even though there are parcels of land very well suited to such. God forbid that anything should challenge the "exclusiveness".

And god forbid, too, that longtime residents remain in their homes. We've got a fairly large elderly population in these parts, and every time one is forced to move out because of the property tax, it makes me die a bit inside because that's going to be me somewhere down the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 12:19 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,792,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xo_kizzy_xo View Post
I see this happening in my town, and it thoroughly disgusts me. My town is so afraid bringing in more business (and therefore offset the property tax) because OMG WE'LL BECOME JUST LIKE OUR "SLUMLORD" NEIGHBORS WHO DID EXACTLY THAT that they'll thwart any kind of economic growth, even though there are parcels of land very well suited to such. God forbid that anything should challenge the "exclusiveness".

And god forbid, too, that longtime residents remain in their homes. We've got a fairly large elderly population in these parts, and every time one is forced to move out because of the property tax, it makes me die a bit inside because that's going to be me somewhere down the line.
Interesting.. which town would that be??

Old 12-06-2013, 12:32 PM

8,815 posts, read 6,141,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I agree. Most kids these days have ZERO social skills already because they spend so much time interacting with their peers on-line either on the computer (e.x. Facebook) or on a smartphone. Most of the current generation of school children would rather send you a text than talk to you even if they're just standing across the room.
I find this fascinating. Do you ever wonder how society will adjust to widespread lack of social skills? Will it adjust or wither away?

Old 12-06-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
More and more are living at home for longer and longer because they JUST CAN'T go live in that crummy apartment outside of their cul-de-sac comfort zone, and need to wait until they can afford a ready-to-move-in SF in the town they grew up in or similar. Of course, that often never happens so they will be living with their parents until they are 45 probably.
They can inherit the house when the parents die.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:37 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,753,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
Milton if I recall correctly.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo_kizzy_xo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
...and who are the "SLUMLORD" neighbors? I'm thinking Carlisle/Billerica or Dunstable/Tyngsborough but there could be others.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:38 PM

7,912 posts, read 7,744,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I think that's a horrible idea in general. Just one more out for school districts who don't feel like teaching the more challenging kids. My co-worker's daughter is extremely bright, but has had some emotional issues and possibly related learning disabilities. She face to face attention and cannot learn just be sitting in front of the screen or by reading books. This is what their response was to her poor grades and attendance. It's understood that for some kids this might be a good thing. But like special ed., I just see this as another cop-out for schools that don't want to do their job (which is to teach ALL kids).
It isn't forcing students to do everything online. I think 10-15% of the time there is a classroom setting. This isn't for special education as that is its own field. This is really more for those that for some reason cannot physically attend classes. So bullied, bullying, someone that might have children, are too sick to come in, at risk etc.

Here's a link for how it works Massachusetts Virtual Academy K-8 Program - How it Works | Massachusetts Virtual Academy at Greenfield

It really isn't about schools not doing their job but rather accomodating the needs of those that are in these groups. Not all towns have the same amount of resources. Let's say a few students get sick...really sick. To the point where they cannot come into class. What's the local government to do? Setting up websites and webcams might work only if they work together to make it cost effective. Even without physically being in the classrooms there are products like google hangout which allows for groups to communicate with one another.

"Most kids these days have ZERO social skills already because they spend so much time interacting with their peers on-line either on the computer (e.x. Facebook) or on a smartphone."

And at the same point often times online interaction is the offical method of communication. I don't know if you know anyone that has used governmental services but hardly any of it is face to face these days. Unemployment benefits are online, medical programs are online, enrollment in anything is online. You cannot legally record telephone conversations and when you correspond with government in email it becomes public record. So if someone wants to ask their mayor a question it is better to put in on email so it leaves a record.

In the private sector it's even more so. 91% of business professionals never see people regularly.
Survey: 91% of Business Professionals Have Never Seen the People They Regularly Work With - Yahoo Small Business Advisor
Don't get me wrong it is nice to do things face to face but increasingly business and government just go with things that are using technology. If you want to do things face to face that is fine but I've personally met and have worked with people that were let go or passed up for promotions because they just did not learn enough with computers.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-07-2013 at 12:31 PM..

Old 12-06-2013, 12:49 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,753,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
...and who are the "SLUMLORD" neighbors? I'm thinking Carlisle/Billerica or Dunstable/Tyngsborough but there could be others.
Milton/Mattapan?

Old 12-06-2013, 01:09 PM

2,201 posts, read 5,331,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I agree. Most kids these days have ZERO social skills already because they spend so much time interacting with their peers on-line either on the computer (e.x. Facebook) or on a smartphone. Most of the current generation of school children would rather send you a text than talk to you even if they're just standing across the room.
Social skills started suffering when families stopped spending time together- especially around the dinner table. That is where one first learns the art of conversation and etiquette.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Milton/Mattapan?
Very good. I also thought of Andover/Lawrence, Groveland/Haverhill and Lexington/Woburn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts