Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 01:17 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,588,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
Social skills started suffering when families stopped spending time together- especially around the dinner table. That is where one first learns the art of conversation and etiquette.
^This

We are becoming increasingly divided by generation, very dehumanizing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 01:17 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,737,208 times
Quote:
Social skills started suffering when families stopped spending time together- especially around the dinner table. That is where one first learns the art of conversation and etiquette.

Probably so. And I think the lack of non organized play doesn't hurt either, where kids learn to interact without parental involvement, its a form of communication / negotiation that is critical.

I would disagree with the earlier poster that in person business skills aren't critical... they are. Real business is still done in person in meetings, during lunches and dinners, and elsewhere. No less so than before.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:22 PM

8,815 posts, read 6,141,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Probably so. And I think the lack of non organized play doesn't hurt either, where kids learn to interact without parental involvement, its a form of communication / negotiation that is critical.

I would disagree with the earlier poster that in person business skills aren't critical... they are. Real business is still done in person in meetings, during lunches and dinners, and elsewhere. No less so than before.
I strongly agree with both of these points. Non-organized playtime is critical for developing an imagination and a sense of creativity.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:54 PM

7 posts, read 10,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
That's so true, at least in the accounting & finance industry. I got a $25k pay raise plus a pension and an EXTRA 3 weeks of vacation when I started working in Boston. That's worth the extra 30-45 minute commute each way for me, but maybe not to other people. It would be a dream to find a similar compensation package outside 128 since I don't really care for city living at this point in my life.

This thread definitely got me thinking about my housing situation because I plan on selling in 15 years to move back to the Newton-Brookline area after my kids go to college. Will I be able to afford it? Would I have to trade 3000+ sf and even kick in a couple hundred grand for a 1200 sf condo? The future is very muddy right now, but the only thing we can do is live for the present and do what is best for our own situation right now.
Parsec, you describe a big reason why we chose to rent out our Brookline place rather than sell it before we moved to Sudbury. If we end up staying put, we plan to move back in when the kids are out of the house. (Maybe we'll be neighbors there, too, one day.) The value of our apartment has gone up considerably in just 7 years since we bought; who knows what it will be later in life or if we could justify paying for it then.

That said, had we sold it now, could we have bought a house we liked a bit closer to the city? Yeah, probably, and maybe we'd be more comfortable leaving a place we loved so much. Not that we're in a bad place at all, it's just very different from what we're used to. That goes to your point on living for the present, which I think is also very important. Right now I can say it's not fun living for the past and the future!

Old 12-06-2013, 02:16 PM

2,201 posts, read 5,331,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

The idea that in person business skills aren't necessary is absurd- I missed that post.

I agree with you 100% about non organized play. Negotiation, communication and resiliency were all lessons you learned. Sometimes you won, sometimes you lost, sometimes you were chosen last. None of which was cause for parental intervention or decried as bullying.

I also read a great article that talked about kids lacking time management and negotiation skills because homes today have numerous bathrooms. The breakdown of the family has and will continue to have a far reaching affect.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:22 PM

387 posts, read 912,132 times
The Wall Street Journal ran an interesting article a couple days ago:

Companies Say Goodbye to the 'Burbs

Of course, then workers start complaining about no parking, cube farms, etc., and companies move back to the suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Most kids these days have ZERO social skills already because they spend so much time interacting with their peers on-line either on the computer (e.x. Facebook) or on a smartphone. Most of the current generation of school children would rather send you a text than talk to you even if they're just standing across the room.
Louis CK did a great spot on Conan about this:

Louis CK explains the problems with smart phones

Old 12-06-2013, 02:22 PM

2,201 posts, read 5,331,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
^This

We are becoming increasingly divided by generation, very dehumanizing.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:54 PM

417 posts, read 729,678 times
It's was much cheaper for us to buy in the suburbs than rent in Brookline to stay near the city and send the kids to good schools so I think we will "make out" just fine in the next 10-20 years compared to trying to afford to rent there. If pricing was comparable, I would have taken a house or even a 3BR condo in Brookline any day over the suburbs but that wasn't an option so here we are. Comparing the two (renting in brookline vs buying in the suburbs,) I think we will be in a much better financial situation in 10-20 yrs being out here in the suburbs even if we decide to sell at a loss and move back into the city after the kids are out of school.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:23 PM

8,525 posts, read 13,910,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donewithpretty View Post
Louis CK did a great spot on Conan about this:

Louis CK explains the problems with smart phones

I saw this on TV the other night. He's very funny. I really liked his HBO special from a few months back.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:23 PM

392 posts, read 914,172 times
Quote:
T
I also read a great article that talked about kids lacking time management and negotiation skills because homes today have numerous bathrooms.
that is hilarious Yet true...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts