Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 09:12 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,456 times

Advertisements

I try to shop in town whenever possible. We have a vibrant downtown with
a lot of small stores.
There is also a mall to walk in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 09:15 AM

387 posts, read 915,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Is there a reason people prefer to shop in their own town even if it's less convenient or more expensive?
Town pride/reciprocation between town businesses is part of it. But from a financial perspective, towns are funded by their commercial and residential taxes. If the businesses go away, the tax burden shifts more toward the residents. Who wants that?

Plus, there's a convenience factor. If everyone drives to Home Depot in the next town to save money, eventually the local hardware store around the corner might not be there when we need salt (or a new shovel) in a snowstorm.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:36 PM

133 posts, read 261,391 times
I tend to shop very locally or online. Very locally (the health food store, capuccino) and my wife buys paint and lumber in our town, plus some hardware and vegetables from the local farms.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:53 PM

4,620 posts, read 4,887,043 times
I live in Worcester, so it's pretty easy to do so . But I do elect to drive to Northborough to grocery shop. And sometimes I'll elect to go to the Millbury Target instead of the one on Lincoln.

We're very close to moving to Boylston, so that's going to change - there's very little retail inside of Boylston, there is no grocery stores and only a single gas station.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:09 AM

675 posts, read 1,699,682 times
I'm not as consistent as I'd like in patronizing local businesses - in most cases it depends upon the quality of the business. But I do go out of my way to shop at local hardware stores, even if they are sometimes more expensive or have a different selection than Home Depot & Lowes. I used to live in Somerville and because of the legacy of Somerville Lumber and later Home Depot there were NO local hardware stores. It was a drag - in addition to the absence of a local friendly and familiar face to give some personalized DIY know-how, who wants to go to a big box store if they just need a few nails?

Old 12-17-2013, 07:08 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I do very little shopping but that which I do, I try to patronize locally owned businesses. I agree that you don't always want a big-box store for a few nails and so forth. I love the local farm stands and buy as much meat there as possible as I know it's not factory-farming.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:22 AM

837 posts, read 1,224,954 times
There's not much retail in my town, but there's anything you want in the surrounding towns. The retail which is in my town is almost always overpriced and aimed at those who have more disposable income.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:37 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,909,169 times
I have developed a good balance of local and online shopping. My town is not very convenient to big box stores, so I tend to buy the things I need right now at the hardware store and the things I plan on needing on Amazon.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:59 AM

541 posts, read 1,994,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I try to shop in town whenever possible. We have a vibrant downtown with
a lot of small stores.
Ditto. Our town is also good about having Holiday Invitation Nights, Fall Festivals, summer events, etc. to get people to shop/eat downtown. I try to get a group of friends together every year for our Holiday Invitation Nights. We walk around and shop and have something to eat in town too. Stores have punch, wine, cookies, cheese/crackers, beer, shrimp, etc. out. It is a nice time to see what they have and to buy some gifts.

I love being able to walk to the hardware store, liquor store, delis, gift stores, home stores, clothing shops, children's shop, book stores, many restaurants, record store, shoe stores, flower shop, candy store, local convenience stores, coffee shops, wine/cheese shops, soap/bath shop, jewelry stores, pet stores, bike shop, bakeries, etc.!

Old 12-18-2013, 06:05 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Most everything as far as food/weekly staples. One exception would be my dry cleaner is right over the border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts