Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 10:18 PM

74 posts, read 130,958 times

Advertisements

^end at Kendall. So yes- there will be switching to the red line. I haven't ruled out other areas, just liked this one the best when we visited, and I have a friend there which is nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 10:52 PM

8,525 posts, read 13,906,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfkane View Post
^end at Kendall. So yes- there will be switching to the red line. I haven't ruled out other areas, just liked this one the best when we visited, and I have a friend there which is nice.
Kendall Square is kind of more in between Porter Square and South Station so that location certainly evens things out. However, you should definitely go with the area that appeals to you most and that you're most comfortable in. I absolutely love living in Needham, but just because I like it doesn't mean you will. Not every town is a good fit for everyone and if you feel like Concord/Acton works for you then I hope you find what you are looking for there.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:10 AM

288 posts, read 631,283 times
From Natick's commuter rail station to South Station, will probably take around 40 minutes. Red Line South Station to Kendall is probably another 10-12 minutes. But to be honest, when the weather is super hot or super cold, there are massive train delays on the Worcester-Framingham line--for a while it had the worst on-time percentages. Also remember, the train is Zone 4 from Natick, which cost $228. The red line is also delayed sometimes, so you have to add cushion room to make sure you make the transfer to the commuter rail, otherwise you have to wait 30-60 minutes for the next train. Also remember walking from the subway to the commuter rail platform might take 4-5 minutes if you prefer not to run, and the trains are quite full during rush hour.

I also have driven from Wellesley (the town between Natick and Needham) to Kendall Square during rush hour via the Mass Turnpike and it takes about 45-50 minutes to get all the way into Kendall. I haven't tried the normal commute (City->Suburb) around 5pm in a while, but I noticed the outbound traffic on the MassPike seems slower. So I would definitely do a few test runs before you decide on Natick/Mass Turnpike route. Central Square and Kendall Square are quite congested, and you have to stop frequently for pedestrians and watch out for bikers and buses.

Personally, if I worked at Kendall Square, I would try to keep to the northern suburbs. A lot of my husband's co-workers live in Belmont, Arlington, and Lexington and they seem to park their cars at Alewife on the Red Line. Then they only spend $70 on a regular monthly T pass.

Last edited by sharencare; 12-18-2013 at 01:45 AM..

Old 12-18-2013, 09:23 AM

ok- so I completely don't understand something. Looking at the cost of a monthly pass, vs the cost of a ticket- it looks like the monthly pass costs more?? For example the zone 6 monthly pass is $252, a ticket is $8. Even if a person used their monthly pass every single day (252/30) it still comes out to $8.4. Oh wait-there is a footnote that says "Zone passes valid on local busses, subways, inner harbor ferries, and commuter boats"- does that mean that we wouldn't have to purchase a separate pass for the T? Then it may be worth it.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:31 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,751,074 times
Quote:
ok- so I completely don't understand something. Looking at the cost of a monthly pass, vs the cost of a ticket- it looks like the monthly pass costs more?? For example the zone 6 monthly pass is $252, a ticket is $8. Even if a person used their monthly pass every single day (252/30) it still comes out to $8.4. Oh wait-there is a footnote that says "Zone passes valid on local busses, subways, inner harbor ferries, and commuter boats"- does that mean that we wouldn't have to purchase a separate pass for the T? Then it may be worth it.
You use a monthly pass twice a day - once to get to work and once to get home On average there are about 21 work days per month so if you use it everyday that's 42 times, which works out to $6 per trip. The zone 6 monthly pass can also be used on the T and city buses. You just have to physically take it out and slip it thru the machine instead of using the RFID "tap" feature.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:37 AM

Lol- I knew I was missing something So monthly costs would be $252 plus any parking at the train station- how much is that usually?

Old 12-18-2013, 12:08 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,880,992 times
Quote:
Lol- I knew I was missing something So monthly costs would be $252 plus any parking at the train station- how much is that usually?
Depends on the station, some are free for residents. Usually if you click on the station on the MBTA website, it will give you the parking info.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Enough to add up to a small fortune over the course of a year! The prices vary from town to town, but most lots are $3-4/day which is about $750-$1000/year. Some towns have a reduced rate resident-only monthly or yearly pass, while some stations in the "center" of town don't even have a commuter parking lot such as Natick and Needham.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:00 PM

8,525 posts, read 13,906,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Enough to add up to a small fortune over the course of a year! The prices vary from town to town, but most lots are $3-4/day which is about $750-$1000/year. Some towns have a reduced rate resident-only monthly or yearly pass, while some stations in the "center" of town don't even have a commuter parking lot such as Natick and Needham.
Incorrect. The Needham Center station does have a parking lot. It abuts a municipal lot part of which is daily rate parking (yellow lined spaces) and part of which is free short term parking (white lined spaces).

Old 12-18-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Incorrect. The Needham Center station does have a parking lot. It abuts a municipal lot part of which is daily rate parking (yellow lined spaces) and part of which is free short term parking (white lined spaces).
Sorry I was misinformed. Do all the Needham stations have a parking lot? For some reason I thought one of them didn't have a lot, or maybe the lot only had <10 spots?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts