Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2013, 09:43 AM

19 posts, read 31,454 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Shrewsbury and my boyfriend lives in Worcester (no we do not live together!)...

I am currently in the final rounds of interviews for two prospective jobs (I'm picking one job if I get two offers.. but I am pretty sure I will get at least one offer). Both of them are located in the Boston area. One is near North Station in Boston the other one is in Cambridge near the Alewife station. I don't want to deal with rush hour traffic by driving. I feel that the commuter rail will take the same amount of time as driving to work with rush hour traffic. This way I can just relax on the train and do other stuff like read or play on my DS.

I want to move closer to Boston to decrease my commute time. I don't know exactly where to live in terms of towns, so hence I am here. My current lease in Shrewsbury is month to month, so I can move anytime. But I think I want to start looking and then move when it gets warmer (so not moving in the snow.

I am hoping to find a studio or 1 bedroom for under $1000/mo (preferably under $900, I'm paying $875/mo including heat and hot water in Shrewsbury right now). I am hoping to find something comparable. I prefer living alone. I know I can't find something in Boston for that price, so I am wondering what towns outside of Boston I can live in that falls in that price-range and rental requirements. Preferably I wouldn't mind the prospective town to be driving distance to Worcester, so I can swing by and have dinner after work with the bf one weeknight and then head home and be ok for work the next day.

As of right now, I am thinking Framingham (which knocks 30 mins off my commute from Worcester), but I am hoping someone on this forum can suggest other towns I should look into where I can take the commuter rail in from, fall in my rent requirements and hopefully won't be too far from Worcester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 10:38 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,789,502 times
I know that towns like Fram and anything closer to BOS will not have decent 1 bedroom apts for 1000 or less per month. Don't know about studio.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
I know that towns like Fram and anything closer to BOS will not have decent 1 bedroom apts for 1000 or less per month. Don't know about studio.
That is what I kinda figured. Since I do not know MA at all, I am unsure if I should look into other towns. It would be nice to took into a few towns and not just Fram

Old 12-22-2013, 10:45 AM

503 posts, read 1,197,516 times
Living in a studio apartment gets old really quick. What about Waltham?

Old 12-22-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David223 View Post
Living in a studio apartment gets old really quick. What about Waltham?
Hmm I didn't think of Waltham. I'll add that to my list of places to look at. I know the closer I am to Boston the more expensive. So I guess I'm trying to optimize the location to boston and rent.. closest place that is affordable so I can still live alone.

Personally I would prefer a 1 bedroom. but a studio wouldn't be that bad since it's just me.. and less cleaning due to a smaller space (I hate cleaning!).. maybe instead of studio, I should say studio efficiency (so separate room for kitchen, living/bedroom and bathroom.. so 3 room apt!). I am unsure of those exist in MA.. I lived in one when I was in Cali.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:22 AM

9,910 posts, read 15,470,751 times
You should probably be looking at towns along that rail line that stops at both Alewife & North Station. I think it's the Fitchburg line.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:28 PM

9 posts, read 16,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
You should probably be looking at towns along that rail line that stops at both Alewife & North Station. I think it's the Fitchburg line.
Waltham, almost no other options that are affordable and let you commute to both north station and alewife. You could go all the way to Acton but the commute is long and I would prefer a daily short commute with a once-a-weekly long commute rather than the other way 'round.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:05 PM

643 posts, read 1,032,947 times
The Fitchburg commuter rail will take you to Porter Square. From there you'd have to take the Red Line to Alewife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts