Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 05:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,881 times

Advertisements

I am a single Jewish woman (30's) relocating to the Boston area. I prefer the suburbs and am looking for an affordable apartment to rent in an area that has a "Jewish scene"..but still not in the city. I am modern orthodox/conservadox….Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 06:47 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,670,914 times
Your options are pretty much limited to Brookline, Newton or Sharon. Brookline and Newton are close to the city (ie more urban) and Sharon is totally suburban. Those are the only 3 places that have religious Jewish communities of any measurable size with synagogues in walking distance - they are also among the most expensive places in MA.

Just be aware - MA as a whole has very few kosher restaurants and few kosher butchers. If you are coming from New York it will be a shock.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:19 AM

8,527 posts, read 13,917,670 times
In the good news category if the OP is coming from NYC as you surmised, her definition of cheap will not be so bad as say someone coming from Iowa.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:33 AM

4,555 posts, read 4,800,661 times
And if she's coming from "Iowa", she'll be in for a shock how "Jewish" the whole eastern half of the state is.

Having lived in the Midwest and West coast, I'm only used to Kosher being a shelf or two in supermarkets. Wegmans in Northborough has a whole kosher meat counter! Nothing compared to a Jewish community, but HUGE compared to the Midwest and West!

Old 12-23-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
And if she's coming from "Iowa", she'll be in for a shock how "Jewish" the whole eastern half of the state is.
Most Jews in MA are reform or non-observant and the OP has a relatively high level of observance.

Quote:
Having lived in the Midwest and West coast, I'm only used to Kosher being a shelf or two in supermarkets. Wegmans in Northborough has a whole kosher meat counter! Nothing compared to a Jewish community, but HUGE compared to the Midwest and West!
The "kosher meat counter" at Wegman's isn't certified kosher by any rabbinical authority, although they are in compliance with consumer protection laws by posting a small printed sign where they acknowledge that fact in fine print. They do however carry some sealed raw meat that is kosher.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:17 PM

8,527 posts, read 13,917,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Most Jews in MA are reform or non-observant and the OP has a relatively high level of observance.
I don't have access to any statistics about level of observance among Boston area Jews. However, unofficially I would say most Jews I know are not orthodox or conservadox as the OP states she is. When I lived in Newton and driving through Brookline I certainly have seen plenty of more observant Jews though I'm sure it's nothing like what one would see in NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
The "kosher meat counter" at Wegman's isn't certified kosher by any rabbinical authority, although they are in compliance with consumer protection laws by posting a small printed sign where they acknowledge that fact in fine print. They do however carry some sealed raw meat that is kosher.
Interesting! I sold a house in Shrewsbury last Spring so I was in Wegman's a few times. I never noticed the Kosher meat counter though. I'm surprised you can call it Kosher meet if it's not certified. I would think you'd have to call it "Kosher style" or something like that.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I don't have access to any statistics about level of observance among Boston area Jews. However, unofficially I would say most Jews I know are not orthodox or conservadox as the OP states she is.
Here are your stats (outdated but probably reliable nonetheless based on my personal observations): Demongraphic Summary

Quote:
When I lived in Newton and driving through Brookline I certainly have seen plenty of more observant Jews though I'm sure it's nothing like what one would see in NYC.
Newton and Brookline are home to relatively large Orthodox communities (and even larger non-observant ones).

Quote:
Interesting! I sold a house in Shrewsbury last Spring so I was in Wegman's a few times. I never noticed the Kosher meat counter though. I'm surprised you can call it Kosher meet if it's not certified. I would think you'd have to call it "Kosher style" or something like that.
It's not really a meat counter. It's a prepared foods/deli counter. They swear they are only using kosher ingredients in a separate kitchen area, but without rabbinical supervision you are just going off of their word. They do post signs attesting to this so it's up to the individual to decide if it's good enough for them.

Anyone who is truly concerned about an establishment's kosher status would ask to see their "Teudat kashrut" (kosher certificate) and in the absence of one, would not eat their prepared foods.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:43 PM

53 posts, read 184,156 times
I guess Brookline, Natick, or Newton which are all >30% Jewish.
Sharon is also a great cheap, Jewish (22%) city.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:01 AM

152 posts, read 385,442 times
I dont have any cold hard facts on the actual numbers but I believe Malden has a strong Jewish community. Its also a great little city just north of Boston

Old 12-27-2013, 07:34 PM

39 posts, read 129,601 times
If you're single and looking for a rental, stick to Brookline, Newton or even Needham. The Brighton area is OK too with lots of apartments but there are a lot of students in the area. Start synagogues shopping first and see how you do. There are several conservative temples in Newton & Brookline. Lexington also has an active Jewish community but it's more families than singles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts