Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 02:11 PM

34 posts, read 141,432 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are originally from Southern NH, but are presently living in San Diego and will be relocating back to MA.

We have settled into a lively, funky neighborhood we really love in an urban pocket of San Diego, and want to see if anything in MA closely matches this description, as we would love a community like this.

- We will be 30-32 years old
- No kids (no desire to have them)
- Walkable downtown/village with a strong sense of community
- Young professionals atmosphere
- Dog-friendly (dog parks, etc.)
- Access to farmers markets, organic food, juice bars, fitness classes, etc.
- Close proximity to beaches/outdoor activities
- Lively independent/local restaurant scene with great food and drinks (craft cocktails, wine bars, craft beer, etc.).
- Not too boring... I would want there to be enough to do and close proximity to having a fun lifestyle. I like neighborhoods/towns that are a good mix of being down-to-earth and laid-back, but still have plenty to offer, and are close to activities.

Some places that seem like maybe they would come close to meeting some of these wants would be: Salem and Newburyport - maybe Marblehead? (Never been there though) and wondering if it would feel too "small" or too uppity.

I'd love to hear of other places maybe I'm not thinking of. I feel like I'd be priced out of Boston proper, but maybe there are other surrounding pockets of neighborhoods worth considering.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 02:39 PM

559 posts, read 747,860 times
No kids? I would say Salem fits the bill best. you don't mention commuting to work but it does have a commuter rail stop. IDK about the dog park part but everything else makes sense.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:52 PM

34 posts, read 141,432 times
Thanks Shizim. Sounds like Salem could be worth strongly considering. Boyfriend would be commuting to various parts of the Greater Boston area, at early commuting times (he'd probably be starting work at 6/6:30a). I will hopefully be working from home...or freelancing in some capacity.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:04 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,226,471 times
Cambridge and Brookline are exactly what you are looking for minus the waterfront. Other suggestions also very good.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:07 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,605,971 times
Salem or Providence RI would be the perfect fit.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:14 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,388,282 times
Newburyport, hands down. Salem is too touristy and very congested traffic wise it is usually a nightmare. NBPT!

Old 05-21-2014, 04:20 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,217,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaggy View Post
Newburyport, hands down. Salem is too touristy and very congested traffic wise it is usually a nightmare. NBPT!
Agreed, just remember all those walk friendly places are pretty nasty for 5 months outta the year.

Good luck and welcome back to NE!

Old 05-21-2014, 04:48 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,809,275 times
Salem, Newburyport is too dead and small, I got there are few times a year but after a weekend you're done with it. Providence is good too.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:49 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,521,113 times
Gloucester or Beverly maybe too. NBPT is nice but I've always found it just a little too precious. Just my opinion.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:58 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,217,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Salem, Newburyport is too dead and small, I got there are few times a year but after a weekend you're done with it. Providence is good too.
Salem is not dead and robust almost all year. The only problem there are the homeless which are found in most major cities..The Peabody Essex Museum and the historical places are abundant..

Newburyport offers much the same and is a vibrant and diversified place.

Providence?? Once u leave Federal Hill, your pretty much in the slums and would;t rec. at all..

RI as a state is lame IMO..and i travel there almost once week..and yeah gotta love all the signs posted or clubs scene from I-95..the strip joints..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts