Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2014, 06:53 PM

472 posts, read 512,858 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My gas furnace had to be condemned 'coz of co emissions. It was 26yrs old & came with the home that we just got about 2mos back. We knew it was old but didn't expect this this soon. We are getting heat through the fireplace. So, its difficult but we are getting by.

I got some contractors to give me an estimate y'day but none of them did what I believe was a "manual J" calculation. I'm in the metrowest area - natick to be specific. So, if you know of HVAC contractors that you've used who you know used the "manual J" to size your furnace/A/C pls PM me.

Also, pls let me know the questions that you asked your contractor to determine their suitability & any tips on negotiating.

Thanks for looking or contributing to my post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 08:10 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,753,596 times
I don't know what a manual J calculation is, but when I lived in Natick I used COAN which is supposedly the most reputable company in town. They installed a new furnace for me 4 months after I moved into my house (my furnace was also original to the house, but it was over 50 years old). I didn't do any negotiation, but I got a few quotes (I believe Devaney and maybe Sears also came by to give me a quote).

Old 01-01-2014, 08:20 PM

546 posts, read 1,369,158 times
I work with the Manual J and it is basically the bible on the heating and cooling calulation to determine how much heat goes where in your house. Many contractors work with the Manual J directly or indirectly. Where you are only replacing the furnace, the Manual J or the heating load has already been determined. You will be replacing this with a new furnace of the equal (or very close to) heating capacity.

I like Keyes North Atlantic out of Newton Ma, they will travel. They are very fair and honest. I used to work for them. As for negotiating, that may be more of getting different quotes to determine the best price for you. Cheapest price is not always the best. I highly recomend going with the better furnace and installation.

Good luck friend

Go for someone who will treat you right at a reasonable price as this is a larger investment to your home.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:24 PM

8,525 posts, read 13,910,379 times
Are you heating with oil or gas? Also what type of heating system are you running, forced air or hydronic? I saw you wrote "furnace" which would indicate forced hot air heating, but many people misuse the term and often refer to boilers as furnaces too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I don't know what a manual J calculation is
I had to Google it, but apparently it's a method for calculating the size of the system needed to heat or cool a home.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lanata View Post
Where you are only replacing the furnace, the Manual J or the heating load has already been determined.
Can you explain how its pre-determined? My understanding is that manual j should be done for heating/cooling.

Quote:
You will be replacing this with a new furnace of the equal (or very close to) heating capacity.
Actually, it looks like the original furnace was oversized for the house. 100k btu for 1500 sq ft. The contractors first gave me 60k btu but when I let them that we might add another 300-400 sq ft in the basement they moved it to 80k.

Quote:
I like Keyes North Atlantic out of Newton Ma, they will travel. They are very fair and honest.
Thanks, bob. I'll check them out.

Quote:
I highly recomend going with the better furnace and installation.
i've whittled down to the following carrier models from the 2 contractors who 've given me a quote.
59TP5A080E21-20 vs 59SP5A080E17--16. Have these both been in the market for more than a few years so that the kinks - if any - 've been ironed out? What would be your choice & why?

Old 01-02-2014, 03:14 AM

Can you explain how its pre-determined? My understanding is that manual j should be done for heating/cooling. Thisdamnedlife, my comment on pre determined meant that your furnace had already been in place and someone sized it out and designed your system when originally installed. If you were just replacing your furnace, you would go with the same size. (same BTU and air flow).

As for the two models of Carrier furnaces you mentioned, they both are good names, both high efficiency. I would not dare try to guess which would be better for your sight unseen. Present that to Keyes if you check them out as well or any other contractor. I do not know how long these have been on the market, but most of the high efficiency ones have been out on the market for a while and the kinks have been worked out. Most known brand names work pretty well. I would not get too hung up on a brand name. Make sure there is at least a one year warantee and have the technicians return to go over it within the year. You will have a condensate pump (on the high eficiency units that do not vent thru the chimney) that should be looked at each year as well.

If you are adding more heating areas, this is when the "manual J" calculations come in handy to properly add to the ductwork and raise the BTU's needed in the furnace. This is a pretty easy design and often, the calculation is done on site using a slide "Duct Calculator" which the engineering data comes from Manual J. Air flow will be increased as well. My thoughts are to go with the 80K where you are adding space to be heated.

Hope this helped friend. Good luck

Old 01-02-2014, 05:10 AM

Parsec, that COAN company does have a great reputation. That may be a great choice if they are closer to where ThisDamnLife lives.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:40 AM

643 posts, read 1,033,490 times
Be sure to check if you can apply for the gas network furnace rebate for your new high efficiency furnace.

They are going to need to vent out the new furnace through a new flue (not out the chimney) and will also need a place/way to drain the water (condensate) from the furnace -- when thinking about labor costs.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Are you heating with oil or gas? Also what type of heating system are you running, forced air or hydronic? I saw you wrote "furnace" which would indicate forced hot air heating, but many people misuse the term and often refer to boilers as furnaces too.

I had to Google it, but apparently it's a method for calculating the size of the system needed to heat or cool a home.
I heat with gas & its a forced hot air system.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:35 AM

3,671 posts, read 7,361,985 times
These guys are good and would probably come to Natick...

Heating, Cooling, Geothermal, IAQ HVAC Solutions | Concord MA, Lowell MA | Nashoba Air & BoilerWorks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts