Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2014, 04:45 PM

294 posts, read 539,318 times

Advertisements

We have a single family home in Worc. and are wanting to make a move south to see what life in a warmer climate would be like. We wanted to sell at first but with updating the home cosmetically and then the cost of selling combined with the value being a bit less than what it was when we bought it a few years ago we were thinking maybe it would make more sense to rent it out? So I'm wondering if anyone has done this before and what their experience was/is. Esp where we will be thousands miles away and would need a property manager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 05:59 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,217,837 times
It will all come down to how much rent you can get; what type of renter you can attract; can you afford manager; is your property and location desirable? You have to be objective with what your property offers, as well as comfortable with letting other people live in your home. It does take more blind trust than one thinks.

Someone I know, lives in NC, but rents triple-decker in Davis Sq. area of Somerville. They have always had rent just below market so renters tend to stay for a long time around. Rents increases are minimal and advertised very early.
Instead of property manager they put in their tenants leases list of repair companies that landlord has approved to handle repairs. Tenants let them know if something is going on, and it goes on from there. One of the longer live-in tenant is also taking care of snow and lawn for lesser rent. It works well for landlord, and with minimal headache. Tenants appreciate good landlord and cheaper rents, so it is never, ever empty. It rents itself practically. Landlord visits yearly or so, and makes sure that big ticket items are taken care off, if it's time. Place is decent and well kept, but nothing luxurious.

They can make lot more money with this location, but more money would mean more demanding tenants, and more headache. So, they kept it very simple. It works for them as they bought this place just before RE boom. Not everyone can afford this approach.

If you are close to U Mass Medical School see if you can put your property on the list for the UMass housing. Nice way to get decent tenants, as grad and doctoral students are older, more serious, and always in need of a place.

I hope this helps.
Good luck.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:17 PM

294 posts, read 539,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
It will all come down to how much rent you can get; what type of renter you can attract; can you afford manager; is your property and location desirable? You have to be objective with what your property offers, as well as comfortable with letting other people live in your home. It does take more blind trust than one thinks.

Someone I know, lives in NC, but rents triple-decker in Davis Sq. area of Somerville. They have always had rent just below market so renters tend to stay for a long time around. Rents increases are minimal and advertised very early.
Instead of property manager they put in their tenants leases list of repair companies that landlord has approved to handle repairs. Tenants let them know if something is going on, and it goes on from there. One of the longer live-in tenant is also taking care of snow and lawn for lesser rent. It works well for landlord, and with minimal headache. Tenants appreciate good landlord and cheaper rents, so it is never, ever empty. It rents itself practically. Landlord visits yearly or so, and makes sure that big ticket items are taken care off, if it's time. Place is decent and well kept, but nothing luxurious.

They can make lot more money with this location, but more money would mean more demanding tenants, and more headache. So, they kept it very simple. It works for them as they bought this place just before RE boom. Not everyone can afford this approach.

If you are close to U Mass Medical School see if you can put your property on the list for the UMass housing. Nice way to get decent tenants, as grad and doctoral students are older, more serious, and always in need of a place.

I hope this helps.
Good luck.
Wow, very informative. Thank you. And I agree on the lower rent part I said the same to my husband to just try to cover mortgage and small amount for emergencies that could arise. we do live close enough to Umass, both Lake Ave and Belmont St campuses and literally 1 minute from the highway, no lie 1 minute. We have a 3 bedroom Cape style house, kitchen not updated cosmetically, but not 70's looking either.. but that is the biggest 'issue' really it is 1950's era and have original cabinets, white and linoleum floors which we can replace before hand to make it look nicer. A beautifully remodeled bedroom with his and her closets with custom doors on the closets. a nice dining room that has french doors leading onto the deck, a huge fenced in yard about half an acre, pool - which we will prolly take down for liability reasons..off street parking for 3 cars and a 1 car garage, corner lot on a dead end street...we would ask $1350 a month..does that seem like a good deal?? I would LOVE o target the Umass market as I want someone responsable and professional to live here.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:36 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,217,837 times
Talk to the school and see what it takes to be on their housing list. Rents seems reasonable.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts