Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 01:03 PM

12 posts, read 26,645 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I grew up and have lived all my life in Dedham, spent my summers in Marshfield, and one side of my family is all in Quincy/Braintree/Weymouth. I always considered myself living on the South Shore, but I found out just recently that Dedham isn't considered the South Shore?

I don't think we'd be considered the "Metro West" (Needham/Newton/Brookline/Wellesley/etc), that area is rich and way different. And I've seen some maps saying Canton was the South Shore, but not Dedham?

If anything my town seems cut off from everything except Hyde Park/West Roxbury, which is why a lot of people think it's going downhill (I really don't see it, just getting way too built up...) Then there's all the towns south of me along Route 1... so many of these places I don't know what they're called. Does everywhere in the Greater Boston area even have a section?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 01:09 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,015,219 times
While there are multiple schools of thought on which towns comprise Metrowest, I'm not aware of any of them including Dedham. I wouldn't think Dedham would be considered South Shore either. I recently came across a map with all of the "areas" around Boston outlined. I'll see if I can find it and let you know what it calls the area around Canton & Dedham.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:16 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,808,396 times
Huh? I've never hard of Dedham being called south shore, or Canton.

I picture Quincy on south to plymouth and one or two towns in to a point.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:20 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,807,234 times
Dedham is part of the "inner core" which is simply Metro Boston. It covers Boston's immediate suburbs including Cambridge, Watertown, Newton, Brookline, and Dedham among others.

Greater Boston includes a larger area including the towns bordering NH and RI. Also I wouldn't consider any of those towns you mentioned to be in Metrowest.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:38 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,650,939 times
I believe Dedham is located in the area known as The Neponset Valley.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:54 PM

12 posts, read 26,645 times
The "inner core" would probably be more accurate, but if you lived here, you'd realize everyone thinks of it as a small town. The schools aren't great, so like half the kids go to private school, but most people love it because everyone knows everyone (actually, that part annoys me the most... I just wanna get out of here!) Even more so because most people who grew up here, one or more of their parents did (mine included.)

It's changed so much though, even in the past few years... with Legacy Place and all the apartments going up. Makes me wonder if they're going to turn it into a city soon.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:51 PM

837 posts, read 1,225,131 times
The Patriot Ledger includes Dedham, Canton, Norwood, etc., in their coverage area, even though it's generally considered primarily a South Shore newspaper. I've never considered them to be part of the South Shore. I've also never heard the term "Neponset Valley" used to describe them, even though geographically that's where they're located. Ergo, I guess...metro Boston, the same as Milton?

Old 01-06-2014, 07:46 PM

316 posts, read 723,611 times
There is definitely a "southwest corridor" of sorts, beginning perhaps in Jamaica Plain/Roslindale and extending out Route 1 towards Foxborough. What I mean is that people from the more urban sections seem to gravitate out in that direction much in the way that people from Dorchester or Southie often move to Quincy, Weymouth, Braintree and the like. Not sure if this makes sense, but I'd align Dedham, Norwood, Walpole and other communities in that area into a different, smaller group - just not sure of what to call it!

Old 01-07-2014, 05:02 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,080,348 times
Time for some investigation!

Looks like Dedham doesn't make the cut.

Wikipedia Map:

Official Massachusetts Coast Zone Boundary Map:

http://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/czm/czm-regions.pdf

I always thought of Weymouth, Braintree, and Quincy as part of the South Shore. But I guess even those towns aren't officially in the club.

Based on its location, I'd think of Dedham as "Metro Boston".

Old 01-09-2014, 08:43 PM

605 posts, read 1,165,152 times
You need some CD education! You're a Dedham native and you consider that South Shore?! It may be because North and South Shore are becoming more like a North and South Side, and Dedham is to the south. But I never known it as South Shore (where I'm from), or MetroWest (where I've also lived). In fact none of those towns are MetroWest really. Think Natick, Framingham, Dover, Franklin.

I think Dedham gets sorta shafter the most recognition wise of all the cities and towns bordering Boston because its the farthest from Back Bay and Downtown. So classification goes to the wayside. But it is getting super developed, along with Westwood. That whole Route 1 corridor, down to Patriots Place, is going through a major development phase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts