Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 08:11 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,384,734 times

Advertisements

OK, Lynnfield is NOT the North Shore. Sorry. No more than is say.....Wilmington. or Middleton. No high tides there, eh?

You live on the North Shore if you are ON the shore and you are NORTH of Boston. Geographically that would have to include Everett, Chelsea, Revere and Lynn and Salisbury as well. Which is unfortunate, because those towns are pretty awful places to live. Nothing really North Shorey about them other than it is where The Help usually comes from. Anyway, the REAL DEAL North Shore then would be Nahant, Swampscott, Marblehead, Salem, Beverly, Manchester, Essex, Gloucester, Ipswich, Rowley, Newbury, Newburyport. Other than that, you are not on the North Shore. Oh sorry Danvers, I almost forgot you have some muddy tidal flats on a few streets. I guess you qualify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 08:30 PM

15,692 posts, read 20,193,988 times
And I need to know this why?

Old 01-06-2014, 08:42 PM

316 posts, read 718,419 times
As a happy denizen of Everett, I find this comment rather impertinent. I almost didn't respond to this trollish nonsense, but have to say that I'm a little tired of the bashing comments about places where plenty of people from all different kinds of backgrounds live. And what's wrong with being a helper? The class-based snobbery is really unnecessary.

I'd also question whether Everett is truly on the shore. It does have river frontage, but there's no harbor or ocean front property in Everett like there is in neighboring Revere.

On a different note, I've always thought of the sphere of influence of north versus south shore as being divided somewhere around the Rowe's Wharf Hotel. Most places south of this point gravitate more toward the south shore, even if they're part of Boston - South Boston, Dorchester, Mattapan, etc…these are all places whose residents would tend to move in a more southerly direction if moving out of the city or heading out to the suburbs for shopping. North of this point, from the North End, East Boston, Charlestown, etc. is the opposite in nature in general.

All of that said, I concur with the general notion that the "shore" areas really begin outside of the city - the north shore in Revere, and the south shore in Quincy.

Last edited by professeurpablo; 01-06-2014 at 08:50 PM..

Old 01-06-2014, 10:17 PM

596 posts, read 977,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaggy View Post
OK, Lynnfield is NOT the North Shore. Sorry. No more than is say.....Wilmington. or Middleton. No high tides there, eh?

You live on the North Shore if you are ON the shore and you are NORTH of Boston. Geographically that would have to include Everett, Chelsea, Revere and Lynn and Salisbury as well. Which is unfortunate, because those towns are pretty awful places to live. Nothing really North Shorey about them other than it is where The Help usually comes from. Anyway, the REAL DEAL North Shore then would be Nahant, Swampscott, Marblehead, Salem, Beverly, Manchester, Essex, Gloucester, Ipswich, Rowley, Newbury, Newburyport. Other than that, you are not on the North Shore. Oh sorry Danvers, I almost forgot you have some muddy tidal flats on a few streets. I guess you qualify.

I'm glad that you were able to get that off of your chest, bro.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:53 PM

3,669 posts, read 7,357,378 times
Thank you, Captain Geography

Old 01-06-2014, 11:14 PM

26,637 posts, read 28,438,190 times
Quote:

That's your post?

I think you left out Rockport--or isn't that good enough? The Help might come from some of the towns you mentioned. You say Salisbury is an awful place to live? There are some beautiful areas and some lovely condos in Salisbury. If you take a ride down Beach Rd you'll even see some nice Over 55 condos and some new upscale condos. Great condos at the beach with amazing ocean views and an upscale restaurant on the beach. Towns change and improve. You probably need to get out more --and I could say more but I don't want to be rude.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:27 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,016,664 times
Winthrop is happy to be excluded from this nonsense.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:45 AM

1,187 posts, read 2,384,734 times
Oh Yes Rockport, Winthrop.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:10 AM

26,637 posts, read 28,438,190 times
Quote:
Oh Yes Rockport, Winthrop.
You got on here early just to admit that?

You'd better get onto your first job--The Help can't be late.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:41 AM

10,721 posts, read 23,638,873 times
I have heard people from North Andover and Boxford claim they are on the North Shore so the OP would have a point there as they are well inland. However Salisbury has direct oceanfront and is north of Boston, how is it not North Shore? Because the OP simply doesn't like it? Perhaps it would be fair to say Hamilton/Wenham are North Shore being they area on 1A which is a North Shore Rd and not far from the shore. The North Shore Mall is in Peabody and that is not a coastal town. North Shore is more or less a regional reference. Same goes with the South Shore.

Here is wiki's definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Shore_(Massachusetts)
I'd have to argue Woburn and Burlington are pretty far removed from the North Shore.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 01-07-2014 at 07:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts