U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 02:51 PM

3 posts, read 9,014 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I've been a lurker for months as we've pursued our home search in the Boston area. We narrowed our search down to 3 towns: Holliston, Hopkinton, and Norfolk--in that order. Due to low inventory (mostly), the house we found that works best for our family is in Norfolk. It has more land, is much newer, and is beautiful. We're scheduled to close soon, but I'm freaking out about the town! The elementary schools seem great, but I'm already thinking that we'll need to move before middle school and high school. Is Norfolk up and coming? Is resale a factor in a town that has a prison (albeit min security)?? Freaking out!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 03:41 PM

2,571 posts, read 4,122,016 times
I grew up in Westboro and live on the North Shore now but I think the King Philip district towns of Norfolk, Plainville and Wrentham are a great choice if that location makes sense for your commute. I don't know of any reason why you think you would have to move by middle or high school.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:46 PM

4,998 posts, read 4,985,411 times
The two downsides to Norfolk are no highway access (but has MBTA Commuter Rail to Boston) and no commercial tax base (resulting in high property taxes).

As far as HS and MS, King Phillip is a very good district. I believe they have a brand new high school.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:54 PM

6,096 posts, read 9,425,691 times
New High School, like massnative71 says, little to no commercial tax base. The biggest downside is that there are no stores.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:20 PM

675 posts, read 981,558 times
I don't know much about Norfolk but if you search under Walpole there were some recent discussions about the town-with-a-prison thing that might be helpful. (I think the consensus was: not a huge problem)

Old 01-13-2014, 06:35 AM

76 posts, read 97,764 times
I lived in Norfolk for 25 years ... feel free to PM me with any questions. I'll admit a lot has changed since I moved, but I'm still happy to help you answer any questions.

But, I can say - I think it's a great town! It all depends on what you like though. I personally liked that there's not a lot of industry there. Traffic is low, there's hardly any crime, and it's really a great place to raise a family. If you're ok with traveling about 15-20 minutes to a neighboring town for highway access and shopping, then you'll be fine. If you need shopping 5 minutes around the corner, Norfolk is not the town for you.

What neighborhood / area are you buying in?

It was great to grow up there. I had a wonderful childhood and wouldn't change a thing. The schools were great. I attended elementary school and 7th grade at KP North. For personal reasons, I chose to attend private school for 8th grade and high school - but that's not a reflection on the education system - teenage girls can be brutal and I had social issues (like kids everywhere do) and it was just a better situation for me to go to another school.

I'm 35, so maybe some of my information is out of date. But overall, I love Norfolk and would have bought my parents house from them when they were selling it, if I could have afforded it.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:38 PM

19 posts, read 31,123 times
Norfolk is a great place to live. the downsides to Norfolk area that theres no high way access in town and its a pretty rural and low populated town with little shopping. Norfolk is part of the King Phillip Regional school district, which has awesome education and the high school was rebuilt a couple years ago, its brand new and has top-notch facilities. Obviously the highway is only the next town over in wrentham and there is plenty of shopping about 15 minutes up the street at the Wrentham outlet malls or at Patriot Place next to Gillette Stadium in Foxboro. Dont panic about the prison in Norfolk, you are 100 percent safe! Norfolk is one of the safest towns in MA. Obviously if you want a town with more access to shopping and highways and variety, Norfolk might not be the place for you, as the town has a rural, down home, quiet homey feeling to it. If you want more of those shopping options and variety, close by towns such as Wrentham, Foxboro, Walpole, or Mansfield would be a great choice. Mansfield is one of (IMO) the best towns to raise a family in. Its safe, has decent shopping and access to everything you need, housing prices are reasonable, the school system is top notch, Mansfield HS athletics are considered one of the best in New England, youth sports leagues are top notch, and facilities are grade A. Mansfield has a down home,quiet, everybody knows everybody feel to it, but also has a small city and busy feel to it at times. You get the best of both worlds. Regardless, good luck with your search!

Old 01-14-2014, 03:39 PM

19 posts, read 31,123 times
Bottom line, you have NOTHING to worry about in Norfolk! great town, great people, great schools, great youth sports, and great community!

Old 01-14-2014, 04:17 PM

3 posts, read 9,014 times
Thanks so much for your responses, especially artanis50 (and now Creepskill)!

It sounds like Norfolk is a desirable place to live so resale won't be a factor. It's awesome that there's a train station in town as my husband commutes downtown. We also like that they're building a new playground (though there seems to have been some controversy about that?). I'm wondering what will go in next to the Walgreen's in town center and when? Would also love your thoughts on sense of community in Norfolk. That's one of the reasons we loved Holliston so much. Are there community events all year long and are people involved in those? Are there fun things to do in town, or do most Norfolkians travel to neighboring towns for activities?

Thanks again, all.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:40 PM

6,096 posts, read 9,425,691 times
There are certainly activities for kids, there is also an adult volunteer type organization, I forget the name.

There is a local message board for Norfolk, send me a dm for the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts