Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 03:19 PM

8,525 posts, read 13,904,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoboo75 View Post
Thank you all for the great input. I have been looking at all these towns and am surprised by how little the inventory of homes is, for rent or for buy. Boston market seems quite hot.
A lot of the Boston area is quite hot especially inside of RT 128. Low inventory is an issue we've been dealing with since last Spring. There were far more buyers than there were sellers last Spring/Summer and it drove prices up quite a bit. I'm hopeful that there will be more sellers this year.

Quote:
Any thoughts on Waltham?
Waltham certainly has some pluses. The Moody Street area has some great restaurants & shops. It has some areas that are a bit more urban/dense feeling kind of like Arlington or Brookline but along the western border near Weston, Newton, etc. it's more suburban feeling. The only thing I would say about Waltham is that the school system is not as well regarded by some people as many of these other towns we've talked about. While that's fine for someone without kids, it does have an impact on RE prices and appreciation. There is definitely a healthy rental market in Waltham though as there is in most of the towns we've discussed here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 05:41 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,584,490 times
Quote:
I am a fairly suburban person who likes to workout, catch the occasional play or musical, love the outdoors and most of all lives to travel and see the world. I want to be a reasonable distance from Boston for a weekend outing or so but would love a neighborhood with some nice parks, a shopping mall or two and fun coffee shops.
I love both Bakery on the Common in downtown Natick and the Charles River Coffee House in the historic district for wifi and treats.

If I were looking for continuously increasing value, I would put Natick above Arlington and Waltham. I think a friendlier town than those other two.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:44 PM

769 posts, read 973,984 times
I move a lot for my job..right now in SC but a MA girl. With the fact that I move for jobs I would rent first and make sure you like the job, the job likes you and it gives you a chance to find the area you like the most. What one person likes may be something you don't.

Personally if I was going to move back to MD I would be back in the Worcester county area and drive to Framingham.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:08 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,587,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
A lot of the Boston area is quite hot especially inside of RT 128. Low inventory is an issue we've been dealing with since last Spring. There were far more buyers than there were sellers last Spring/Summer and it drove prices up quite a bit. I'm hopeful that there will be more sellers this year.
Off-topic, but I'm curious if you were seeing a lot of investment buyers (don't always self-identify, but tend to pay in full with cash at a higher rate than regular buyers). In some west coast markets it's estimated roughly 30% of the buying market in 2013 was speculative/investment.

Early signals seem to suggest that may be reduced in 2014, but I'm not sure how it applies to MA either on the up- or downswing.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:46 PM

8,525 posts, read 13,904,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Off-topic, but I'm curious if you were seeing a lot of investment buyers (don't always self-identify, but tend to pay in full with cash at a higher rate than regular buyers). In some west coast markets it's estimated roughly 30% of the buying market in 2013 was speculative/investment.

Early signals seem to suggest that may be reduced in 2014, but I'm not sure how it applies to MA either on the up- or downswing.
I saw a lot of that last year when working in Brookline, but I haven't seen or heard of it in the more suburban areas like Newton, Needham, Wellesley, etc. I would imagine it's because there's much lower demand for rentals in these towns.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:03 AM

643 posts, read 1,033,163 times
The rental market is very good in Waltham. I'm not sure where you are from in the midwest, but your definition of suburb will be very different than a Boston suburb. Many of the condos in Waltham are located closer to the city center to be closer to shops and restaurants and it is very dense. I think the ones in the more suburban areas of Waltham will be out of your price range.

There are some new condos going in near the Waltham/Watertown border which will probably be in your price range so you could get something brand new.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:53 AM

64 posts, read 577,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravogadro View Post
I'm not sure where you are from in the midwest, but your definition of suburb will be very different than a Boston suburb. Many of the condos in Waltham are located closer to the city center to be closer to shops and restaurants and it is very dense. I think the ones in the more suburban areas of Waltham will be out of your price range.

There are some new condos going in near the Waltham/Watertown border which will probably be in your price range so you could get something brand new.
I am moving from downtown Minneapolis where I rent very close to work. But in Framingham, I am looking to rent for a bit and buy so looking for nice neighborhoods. When I say suburban, what I mean is that I don't need to be in the heart of a big city. A smaller town with a nice downtown will work too.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:57 PM

769 posts, read 973,984 times
Quote:
I am moving from downtown Minneapolis where I rent very close to work. But in Framingham, I am looking to rent for a bit and buy so looking for nice neighborhoods. When I say suburban, what I mean is that I don't need to be in the heart of a big city. A smaller town with a nice downtown will work too.
That is half the New England towns...

Old 01-29-2014, 11:10 PM

258 posts, read 227,614 times
I lived in Framingham on Rt 9 for 8 years. What a complete and utter hell hole. You can't really walk anywhere. There were no parks near me around except the reservoir and that was closed to public for the last couple of years. North Framingham is a little better if you like typical suburb type of living. South Framingham is a bit of a ghetto with tons of Brazilians. That includes the downtown. The only good place about it is Natick Mall. Which turns your commute into utter hell the month of December because all the suburban yuppies are going to that mall to stuff their fancy SUVs with overpriced crap.

Now, if you plan to work anywhere close to Boston proper - DON'T BUY IN FRAMINGHAM. The morning commute sucks big time with Pike, Rt 9 and everything in-between filled with traffic during rush hours. That goes double for moronic Boston drivers if it's raining. I had to give up all Boston downtown jobs because taking the commuter rail would entail about 1:15 commute each way and I wasn't about to spend 2.5 hours each day commuting. Natick is definitely nicer but it is sort of right in the middle which makes driving during rush hour even more painful providing you're taking a major route to work.

If I was to ever go back to Taxachusetts, there are 2 towns to live in if you don't have a family - Waltham or Somerville. Add Cambridge if you're artsy. Everything else I'd avoid.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:27 AM

23,087 posts, read 18,228,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchromesh View Post
I lived in Framingham on Rt 9 for 8 years. What a complete and utter hell hole. You can't really walk anywhere. There were no parks near me around except the reservoir and that was closed to public for the last couple of years. North Framingham is a little better if you like typical suburb type of living. South Framingham is a bit of a ghetto with tons of Brazilians. That includes the downtown. The only good place about it is Natick Mall. Which turns your commute into utter hell the month of December because all the suburban yuppies are going to that mall to stuff their fancy SUVs with overpriced crap.

Now, if you plan to work anywhere close to Boston proper - DON'T BUY IN FRAMINGHAM. The morning commute sucks big time with Pike, Rt 9 and everything in-between filled with traffic during rush hours. That goes double for moronic Boston drivers if it's raining. I had to give up all Boston downtown jobs because taking the commuter rail would entail about 1:15 commute each way and I wasn't about to spend 2.5 hours each day commuting. Natick is definitely nicer but it is sort of right in the middle which makes driving during rush hour even more painful providing you're taking a major route to work.

If I was to ever go back to Taxachusetts, there are 2 towns to live in if you don't have a family - Waltham or Somerville. Add Cambridge if you're artsy. Everything else I'd avoid.
LOL! You live in CA and you're talking about "Taxachusetts"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts