Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2014, 12:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,960 times

Advertisements

I moved to Massachusetts in 2011 from ohio and was able to bring my section 8 voucher with me, no problem. Now I am moving back to ohio, back to the place I moved from. I called the housing authority in ohio where I moved from and she told me that I had to call my housing authority in massachusetts and set up the move with them, but she said I needed to make sure and tell them "you are billing" I looked it up and now understand what that means, even though my voucher originated in ohio. what I do not understand is if the housing authority in Ma can refuse to pay and thus causing me to lose my voucher if I move. I am panicing now and of course my housing authority is not open today because of the weather. The ohio housing authority just kept telling me to call my own housing authority....help, very confused..

fyi: I saw a comment on here that some are not very kind about section 8 posts....background: I have 3 degrees, associates, bachelors and a masters of education. I am a single mother of 2 and ever since i was divorced i have had a hard time financially. I do have a job at a school, but it does not pay enough in today's economy to match a 2 family income. I also do not use credit cards that I will not be able to pay back. Thank you for your help and God Bless.

Last edited by blnde4u38; 02-05-2014 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: additional info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 02:19 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blnde4u38 View Post
I moved to Massachusetts in 2011 from ohio and was able to bring my section 8 voucher with me, no problem. Now I am moving back to ohio, back to the place I moved from. I called the housing authority in ohio where I moved from and she told me that I had to call my housing authority in massachusetts and set up the move with them, but she said I needed to make sure and tell them "you are billing" I looked it up and now understand what that means, even though my voucher originated in ohio. what I do not understand is if the housing authority in Ma can refuse to pay and thus causing me to lose my voucher if I move. I am panicing now and of course my housing authority is not open today because of the weather. The ohio housing authority just kept telling me to call my own housing authority....help, very confused..

fyi: I saw a comment on here that some are not very kind about section 8 posts....background: I have 3 degrees, associates, bachelors and a masters of education. I am a single mother of 2 and ever since i was divorced i have had a hard time financially. I do have a job at a school, but it does not pay enough in today's economy to match a 2 family income. I also do not use credit cards that I will not be able to pay back. Thank you for your help and God Bless.
Can you explain what they mean by "you are billing"? MA housing authority is billing? For what?

Old 02-05-2014, 03:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,960 times
Default Your are billing

Hi, from what I understand, Ohio, where I am moving to and where my voucher originated from will not help in payment for my rent. Massachusetts has to continue to pay the rent in Ohio. I just do not understand if Massachusetts can refuse to pay since my home will be in Ohio. Even though my rent will be less than half of what it is in Massachusetts because the cost of living is so much cheaper in Ohio. thank yoy

Old 02-05-2014, 03:48 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blnde4u38 View Post
Hi, from what I understand, Ohio, where I am moving to and where my voucher originated from will not help in payment for my rent. Massachusetts has to continue to pay the rent in Ohio. I just do not understand if Massachusetts can refuse to pay since my home will be in Ohio. Even though my rent will be less than half of what it is in Massachusetts because the cost of living is so much cheaper in Ohio. thank yoy
I'm sorry, I don't know. I thought it was a federal program that was administered through the states. Maybe tomorrow you call a housing authority in MA and get a real answer.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:14 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times
I don't understand how you can bring your Ohio voucher to MA and be able to use it, then not be able to take it back to Ohio with you. Maybe when you move back to Ohio, you will have to re-apply for a new Ohio voucher? I can understand why MA wouldn't want to continue paying for your housing when you move back to Ohio since there are so many MA people on the waiting list for a Section 8 voucher.

How many years have you had this voucher?

Old 02-08-2014, 03:20 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,033 times
Even if Ohio is billing, Massachusetts still has to send you there. They may give you a hard time, but it is unlikely because it will probably be cheaper for them to send you to Ohio where rents are less than Massachusetts. If they do give you a hard time, you should get an attorney.

BTW, it is true that Ohio will not talk to you until they get your paperwork from Massachusetts. Ohio cannot act on your case until Massachusetts sends you there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts