Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 08:05 AM

57 posts, read 175,275 times

Advertisements

FCMA's assessment is entertaining albeit a bit too negative. There are a lot of positives to Leominster and a few decent places to go downtown - Rye and Thyme and Mezcal (I've heard). The west side of the city has some really nice neighborhoods - especially up in the hills overlooking the town. North Leominster has some nice hoods too and the location isn't bad for commuting.

Nevertheless FCMA's comment does capture some of the essence of Leominster. Basically Fitchburg's middle class left for Leominster in the 60s, 70s and 80s to set up their own suburban utopia. The city looks as though every single planning application was approved over the last 3 decades resulting in a sprawl ridden mess in parts of the south and east; it's a sea of chain restaurants, ugly strip malls and massive parking lots (without any attempt to landscape). That's not the whole story because there is a fair amount of New England charm in the great neighborhoods I mentioned and the views from the hills are stunning. I would have considered moving there if I didn't feel it was a tad overpriced for what it is (Fitchburg's plastic twin).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
Terrible places to be under 40 and single and wanting something to do besides a chain restaurant bar. Yet people act as if places like Buffalo Wild Wings are the height of urbanity and culture and anniversary dinner destination.
I think Buffalo Wild Wings might actually be in Fitchburg rather than Leominster - it's on the Fitchburg side of the Twin City Mall. At least I hope so because that would mean the Burg also gets to claim Kappys which is the only decent liquor store in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 08:32 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,515,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPatsFan View Post
Wow... very negative assessment. I will concede that you have been in the area longer than I have. However, I didn't make the decision to move to Leominster lightly and my experience so far has been very positive.

My recommendation if you are thinking of moving there is to go there yourself. When you go though, get out of the car, walk around and talk to people.
Grew up in Fitchburg, work in Leominster now. I love the people I know in N Central MA but after living in vibrant places in Western MA (Northampton, Amherst, Greenfield, etc) for about ten years, it's weird to come back and see that an urban area with three times more people has ten times less going on. That's where my chip on the shoulder against the area comes from. There are great neighborhoods and absolutely wonderful people all around, but you get tired of most every new restaurant being more greasy pizza, donuts, chain burgers or whatever, while the urban cores are virtually ignored and left to rot. I know I need to adjust perspective because W MA is full of college towns, but a brewpub and a low-key concert venue and a local bookstore are achievable things in a place like Leominster, and it's really confusing to me that things like that don't exist in a city its size. Both are showing occasional signs of life but overall it's rather dull, especially for a single professional under 40. If I was ready to settle down and raise a family it would be a nice place to live, affordable, nice housing, and people are friendly and humble (I'd be the snobbiest prick on the block, with my attitude...) but for now I can't bring myself to do it.

To the OP, Lunenburg is legitimately a nice town, a countryish bedroom community to the Twin Cities. I remember you had mentioned Groton - comparatively Lunenburg is less isolated to shopping etc, and pastoral in areas but certainly not as "genteel"/ old money fancy, therefore reasonably priced! It wouldn't be fun to commute any further in than the Concord rotary though, if you need to get in to the Boston area for work.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:55 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,098,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post

To the OP, Lunenburg is legitimately a nice town, a countryish bedroom community to the Twin Cities. I remember you had mentioned Groton - comparatively Lunenburg is less isolated to shopping etc, and pastoral in areas but certainly not as "genteel"/ old money fancy, therefore reasonably priced! It wouldn't be fun to commute any further in than the Concord rotary though, if you need to get in to the Boston area for work.
FCMA - I appreciate the honest and thorough feedback.

I currently work over the NH border so a commute from Lunenburg would be a breezy drive through some of MA's more bucolic towns. I would never accept a job in greater Cambridge/Boston without negotiating time flexibility. Having lived in the state my whole life, I'm well aware the commute is a nightmare, even from Acton/Concord. Most of my commutes into Boston are Logan-bound or for client meetings ... both of which can be scheduled around painful commuting times.

But back to Leominster ...

I started digging into some of the Census data, as well as a thorough state report on the school system. The data quite clearly painted a picture of "white flight". The city has seen negative growth due to the exodus of white families (seen in population/race data showing caucasian children under 18 and caucasian adults in the 30-50 range leaving by the thousands - hence all the homes on MLS). Any positive population growth has largely been with minority groups (largely hispanic, and to a lesser degree, asian) who, I'm assuming, are upwardly mobile and leaving Fitchburg for greener pastures. Other growth has been with aging caucasians (late 50's/60's), which I'm assuming are couples who have cashed out of their homes in performing school districts and sought cheaper housing without taking a quality/sqft downgrade.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:48 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,653,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
... I grew up in Shrewsbury and watched the town transition from enjoyable upper middle-class/blue collar to full blown yuppie ... I certainly am not willing this transition upon Leominster.
This made my day! Thanks for the chuckle.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:00 PM

57 posts, read 175,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I started digging into some of the Census data, as well as a thorough state report on the school system. The data quite clearly painted a picture of "white flight". The city has seen negative growth due to the exodus of white families (seen in population/race data showing caucasian children under 18 and caucasian adults in the 30-50 range leaving by the thousands - hence all the homes on MLS). Any positive population growth has largely been with minority groups (largely hispanic, and to a lesser degree, asian) who, I'm assuming, are upwardly mobile and leaving Fitchburg for greener pastures. Other growth has been with aging caucasians (late 50's/60's), which I'm assuming are couples who have cashed out of their homes in performing school districts and sought cheaper housing without taking a quality/sqft downgrade.
Holy crap - you really did your homework!

Old 11-13-2014, 05:27 PM

21 posts, read 46,643 times
Have lived in Leominster since the late 80's....It really is not the cultural abyss suggested by some - I belong to a very active camera club (ccone) which currently meets in Lancaster, there is the Leominster Art Gallery on main st, and a very active Leominster Art club. Fitchburg has an art museum, which is being revitalized during the last few years, there is the Rollstone Art Gallery, Fitchburg cultural alliance, several theatre groups...including Stratton players which survived their theater burning down... and will move to a new theater in the near future.
I also belong to an active dive club in Fitchburg as well. For shopping, there is a macy's, jc penneys, and sears, as well as Allen's - a small independent department store (which is really rare today!).
I would say that years ago, it was more popular as a less expensive area to live and commute in towards Boston. I think recent high gas prices have made it less attractive, although the new commuter train station may help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts