Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 02:29 PM

7 posts, read 13,633 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone:

My husband and I are currently in the process of relocating and trying our best to understand our options. His employer recently gave him two options, and one of which would allow us to move to the Leominster area. We visited for the day recently, and we found both some good and bad, but were left with many questions. Given our financials and our circumstances, Leominster appears to be our destination.

Now, we are a bit older, 58 and 59 respectively, and will likely be in the home well into our retirement. Thus, are are concerned a bit with what to expect in certain areas.

For example, we found two homes of interest to us, which were very nice, located on Lake Whalom. Now, they seemed nice and quiet in the winter, but we worry about the area in the summer. Can someone tell me what that area is like from May - September? Is it overrun with drunken college students and seasonal renters? Is it flooded with bar hoppers and loud twenty-somethings? The homes we found had lake views, and were on dead on streets, so we felt they would suit our needs. However we are a bit concerned about an over rowdy summer population.

Secondly, we found some nice homes around the Doyle Conservation Area. They back up to the woods, seem pretty walkable, and the neighborhood seems quiet, although convenient to everything. So, we like that area too. Can anyone tell us about living in this section of Leominster?

Lastly, we found one very nice home, just recently updated and remodeled, on the Leominster / Fitchburg line. It is on the Fitchburg side, but despite hearing bad stories about that city, it is a lovely home on a quiet street. We do not think that this location fits the stereotypes we have heard about Fitchburg being crime ridden and problematic.

We have looked in other surrounding areas, but quite frankly our budget only works in these locations. We also, given my husbands commute, cannot go any further north or west. These areas I have described are really where we would have to be. Therefore, any insight provided, pertaining specifically to these areas, would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help us, or offer us insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 02:48 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,598,617 times
Lake Whalom area borders Lunenburg. I don't know where you would get the idea the area is noisy in the summer other than you may have read that there was once the Whalom Amusement Park on the property, long closed. Lunenburg is a very quiet community with some working farms and a bit of a conservative feel, at least for Massachusetts.

The Doyle Conservation Area is pretty, nicely maintained homes there. Of the three areas you've described this would be my pick. This neighborhood is a bit more connected to Westminster, another pretty town.

The only area I would be concerned with is the area East of Leominster town center behind the shopping areas (Mechanic Street). I would not hang around the area near the Central Valley Plaza in downtown Fitchburg at night, either.

Be aware that you are close to a small airport from any of these locations.

Pretty friendly down-to-earth town with overall nice people. Welcome to Massachusetts.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:59 PM

Thank you very much for your most prompt response.

My only questions about the Lake Whalom area were derived from my own experience living near or around lakes. I know that in the summer time that they can become much louder, busier, and occasionally have seasonal renters who don't always respect the community as much as year-round residents. When we went there to visit recently, we liked it, but we noticed a few little bars/pubs along the lake and figured it wouldn't hurt to ask about the summer population there. so, thank you for your response.

Yes, we liked the Doyle Conservation Area quite a bit. It was quite tranquil.

Is that airport busy? I mean, I know that it is a small airport, but are people around there regularly troubled by planes overhead?

Thanks again.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDHogan View Post
Thank you very much for your most prompt response.

My only questions about the Lake Whalom area were derived from my own experience living near or around lakes. I know that in the summer time that they can become much louder, busier, and occasionally have seasonal renters who don't always respect the community as much as year-round residents. When we went there to visit recently, we liked it, but we noticed a few little bars/pubs along the lake and figured it wouldn't hurt to ask about the summer population there. so, thank you for your response.

Yes, we liked the Doyle Conservation Area quite a bit. It was quite tranquil.

Is that airport busy? I mean, I know that it is a small airport, but are people around there regularly troubled by planes overhead?

Thanks again.

I would do a search on the name and addresses of those bars and see what comes up. Most of the Fitchburg State students I know are diligent people.

If you ever need your own entertainment, the Bull Run is a great little Colonial Tavern that has pretty famous performers come through. Leon Russell and Johnny Winter performed there not too long ago.

Mt. Wachusett has year round activities and festivals, but not rowdy.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:24 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,387,054 times
I missed Leon Russel? DARN!!!!

Old 02-05-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaggy View Post
I missed Leon Russel? DARN!!!!
It's such a hidden gem. I think their website must have a place to get emailed the upcoming concerts. They seem to get return visits from some of the performers, so maybe you'll luck out second time around.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:18 AM

4,677 posts, read 3,437,450 times
I do know there has been some problems with the bars around Lake Whalom. After a fatal hit and run in front of one of them (i think it happened during a bar fight that spilled out) the Lunenburg police have been cracking down on them.
I do not know Fitchburg well but lately we have dined out there. I will say Fitchburg is not as dangerous as people make it out to be. I grew up in Lowell so take my advice about safety with that in mind. I would consider living there if i didnt have kids. Thats just a knock on the schools not safety.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I do know there has been some problems with the bars around Lake Whalom. After a fatal hit and run in front of one of them (i think it happened during a bar fight that spilled out) the Lunenburg police have been cracking down on them.
I do not know Fitchburg well but lately we have dined out there. I will say Fitchburg is not as dangerous as people make it out to be. I grew up in Lowell so take my advice about safety with that in mind. I would consider living there if i didnt have kids. Thats just a knock on the schools not safety.
Thank you so much for your insight. We really appreciate it.

Yes, I saw the news about that incident in front of those bars, but it seems really nice other than a few isolated incidents.

In terms of Fitchburg, the areas we are looking at aren't quite as bad as some other areas. We know Lowell and Lawrence very well, and comparatively, Fitchburg isn't much of a concern in that regard. Thank you again!

Old 02-06-2014, 05:36 PM

4,677 posts, read 3,437,450 times
I will say about the lake i would definitely live there. Other then that one instance, in the four years i have lived in the area, i have heard nothing else negative. I went to one of those bars for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It was much nicer the expected. My husband left his phone on the bar and when he called the next day someone had gave it to a bartender. So not so rough a crowd we thought.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:58 AM

2 posts, read 3,737 times
Cool Love the area!

We considered Whalom Lake properties and decided not to pursue the area. We imagine that the 240 condos being developed on the former Whalom Park site may obstruct lake views and increase traffic and possibly lake use. There are some real gems in he Leominster-Fitchburg area which I'd be happy to share with you if there's a way to private message you on this sits (I just registered, so have not taken time to look at all of the site features as yet). I know that Fitchburg's image is not good, but there's also a lot to like about it, and it wouldn't surprise me if certain parts of the area continue to grow into an up and coming location in time. Best wishes with your search and move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts