Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2014, 11:45 AM

33 posts, read 58,017 times

Advertisements

Finally it looks like my husband and I will be moving to Stow...[long process of trying to sell our house and buy into the Stow/Bolton area on a budget!] Just some questions...
1. We noticed the taxes seem really high and no trash pick-up, where is the tax money going to? -great schools, police, fire, roads?
2. How good are the schools? I heard great but then read mixed reviews online, so if someone went to the schools in Stow/Nashoba Regional or has a child there now it would be better information. We are starting a family, so we have a few years but are wondering.
Anything else that might be good to know about Stow, please let me know! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 12:01 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mass100 View Post
Finally it looks like my husband and I will be moving to Stow...[long process of trying to sell our house and buy into the Stow/Bolton area on a budget!] Just some questions...
1. We noticed the taxes seem really high and no trash pick-up, where is the tax money going to? -great schools, police, fire, roads?
2. How good are the schools? I heard great but then read mixed reviews online, so if someone went to the schools in Stow/Nashoba Regional or has a child there now it would be better information. We are starting a family, so we have a few years but are wondering.
Anything else that might be good to know about Stow, please let me know! Thanks!
I live in a neighboring town and 75% of our property tax revenue goes to the school system. Even towns in this area with not-so-good schools spend around 50% of their revenue on the school system. If you like pasture golfing, try Stowaway golf course. It's really cheap. Also jogging and cycling at Assabet Wildlife Refuge on the Hudson/Stow line.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:56 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mass100 View Post
Small Farm on Gleasondale Road, fresh veggies and flowers all summer. They give you a container and you can put as many flowers into it as you can fit. It was something like $5 to do this last time I was there.

Honey Pot Hill farm has hayrides, mazes, all kinds of things for kids.
Hayrides, Farm Animals, Hedgemaze, Tunnelmaze, Picnic area

Many good places for apple picking in fall.

Bolton has many town festivals in the summer.

Nashoba Valley Winery (less for the kids) has wine tasting. Good restaurant if you need someplace to take guests. And more festivals for everyone. Nancy's Air Field Cafe for brunch and the kids can watch the small aircraft take off and land.

Hannefords in Hudson is a good place to grocery shop, good quality and reasonable.

Maynard Center is a nice laid back place to hang out.

Collings Foundation is a museum dedicated to antique cars and aircraft.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:24 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post

Honey Pot Hill farm has hayrides, mazes, all kinds of things for kids.
Hayrides, Farm Animals, Hedgemaze, Tunnelmaze, Picnic area

Many good places for apple picking in fall.
This place is my favorite. My kids love the hayride and their apple cider donuts are the BEST.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:20 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
This place is my favorite. My kids love the hayride and their apple cider donuts are the BEST.

Parsec, OP and other fans of country fun:

More off the path places:

Hebert's is an old fashioned ice parlor.

With the most fun selection of Halloween candy.
Bolton

Berlin Farms, more ice cream and pony rides, amusing rescue animals. They have a riding school, have educational classes in canning and other farm skills.
https://www.facebook.com/BerlinFarms

For the serious stuff, there is a very good Lowe's a few miles from Stow for any new home owner needs that may come up.

Last edited by 495neighbor; 03-06-2014 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts