Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 07:00 PM

23,549 posts, read 18,693,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordi View Post
id love to know what ACTUALLY is going on with the girl
Wait??? It goes from "let's assume I know what's going on" and your cruel, hateful accusations to now this??? Yet you still have the confidence to say you are glad that "BCH is standing by its laurel's", all this after you admit that either hospital could have been wrong. You are a walking contradiction.

What it boils down to, is that the girl was apparently doing well with the treatment received at Tufts. When BCH and the DCF got involved, that all ended. Shouldn't she have improved if (BCH) was right in their "textbook" diagnosis?

You have absolutely no handle on what you are talking about.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-19-2014 at 04:08 AM.. Reason: rude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 08:19 PM

3 posts, read 3,036 times
Ok, massnative, you really want to do this?

I didn't say I knew what's going on. I said I know what I am taking about.
I have seen this sort of crap professionally -- for years-- so yeah, I do know what I'm talking about. One thing that you learn when you deal with these sort of situations is that any little faith have in the decency of humanity will come back and bite you in the ass. Patients lie. Patients steal. Patients abuse. Patients all of a sudden can't move the left side of their body for absolutely no medical reason. Later we find out that their father used to put cigarettes out on them, or their uncle molested them. Is this always the case? Of course not. But please, leave your naïveté at the door and get real, here.

There is no doubt that the girl is sick. But the sickness is in her head, not her mitochondria. Unless you are on the front lines, you really can't understand what I am talking about.

It is strange that BCH publicly called out tufts. I assume it was a PR move. Any improvement in the girls condition is completely subjective and can easily be misrepresented in print. That's why I'd really want to know all the inside details.

The treatment will involve years of psychotherapy, not some magic vitamin or miracle pill.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-19-2014 at 04:09 AM.. Reason: trsponse to deletion

Old 03-18-2014, 08:20 PM

3 posts, read 3,036 times
Whoops. The above post should Have been posted under 'mordi'. My wife is going to kill me.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:19 AM

101 posts, read 248,881 times

I have seen this sort of crap professionally -- for years-- so yeah, I do know what I'm talking about. One thing that you learn when you deal with these sort of situations is that any little faith have in the decency of humanity will come back and bite you in the ass. Patients lie. Patients steal. Patients abuse. Patients all of a sudden can't move the left side of their body for absolutely no medical reason. Later we find out that their father used to put cigarettes out on them, or their uncle molested them. Is this always the case? Of course not. But please, leave your naïveté at the door and get real, here.

There is no doubt that the girl is sick. But the sickness is in her head, not her mitochondria. Unless you are on the front lines, you really can't understand what I am talking about.

It is strange that BCH publicly called out tufts. I assume it was a PR move. Any improvement in the girls condition is completely subjective and can easily be misrepresented in print. That's why I'd really want to know all the inside details.

The treatment will involve years of psychotherapy, not some magic vitamin or miracle pill.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordi
Are you a doctor? Is that what they taught you in medical school, to diagnose illnesses from your home computer? How dare you accuse these parents (or any stranger) of child abuse.

Quote:
I have seen this sort of crap professionally -- for years-- so yeah, I do know what I'm talking about. One thing that you learn when you deal with these sort of situations is that any little faith have in the decency of humanity will come back and bite you in the ass. Patients lie. Patients steal. Patients abuse. Patients all of a sudden can't move the left side of their body for absolutely no medical reason.
And Doctors lie. Doctors steal. Doctors abuse. Doctors prescribe potentially harmful medication to patients with whom it is the last thing they need. Doctors refuse to treat patients for political reasons and pure ignorance/arrogance (ie. "my Harvard textbook never taught me that"). Doctors can be very unprofessional. Doctors play head games with and try to dupe patients who only want appropriate medical care. Doctors misdiagnose ALL THE TIME. Half of doctors probably have no business being in the medical profession whatsoever. I have witnessed or have heard personal accounts of all these things and they seem to be happening at a very alarming rate (and yes some of the most respectable hospitals are not immune).

Your obvious contempt for the patients you are supposed to be treating, suggests that you should really consider whether or not this an appropriate profession for you. At a time one of the fundamentals of medicine was to build a relationship with the patient and most importantly to "listen" to the patient. Unfortunately that seems to be more and more a thing of the past, and care is suffering for it.

Quote:
Is this always the case? Of course not.
You said it.

Quote:

You are making me extremely dizzy here. Again, on one hand you "really want to know all the inside details" (meaning you are not on the front lines), while on the other you have the b@## s to say that it's all in her head.

Quote:
Treatment for what, hmmm? I'm waiting for the expert here...

Old 03-19-2014, 10:05 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:

Why does there have to be such an emotional fight over this situation? You have obviously seen many instances of child abuse but that doesn't mean that every instance is another example of child abuse.

There are plenty of people who have aches and pains and there is nothing wrong in their heads.

From what I've read--and that's all I can go on and all any of us can go on--this girl was doing great in school and in sports until she got the flu. Her illness came about as an after effect of the flu. The mitochondrial disease is genetic (I looked it up) so there was already a tendency toward it and probably the flu weakened her enough for the illness to surface.

I ended up with some strange illness after a bout with the flu one time. My doctor couldn't figure it out and just labeled it post viral syndrome. Thank goodness!

We do have to be aware of potential child abuse but the opposite is also true: cases where day care workers have been labelled child abusers when they were not. Cases where a parent spanks a child and they get accused of child abuse. Each case is different and we have to be careful not to generalize based upon what we've seen in the past.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Why does there have to be such an emotional fight over this situation? You have obviously seen many instances of child abuse but that doesn't mean that every instance is another example of child abuse.

There are plenty of people who have aches and pains and there is nothing wrong in their heads.

From what I've read--and that's all I can go on and all any of us can go on--this girl was doing great in school and in sports until she got the flu. Her illness came about as an after effect of the flu. The mitochondrial disease is genetic (I looked it up) so there was already a tendency toward it and probably the flu weakened her enough for the illness to surface.

I ended up with some strange illness after a bout with the flu one time. My doctor couldn't figure it out and just labeled it post viral syndrome. Thank goodness!

We do have to be aware of potential child abuse but the opposite is also true: cases where day care workers have been labelled child abusers when they were not. Cases where a parent spanks a child and they get accused of child abuse. Each case is different and we have to be careful not to generalize based upon what we've seen in the past.

of course, every case should be taken individually

but isnt that what this whole thread is about? what we think about the case? BCH is getting a bad rap, which may or may not be justified. from what i've seen and what i've read, i don't think that is fair.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Are you a doctor? Is that what they taught you in medical school, to diagnose illnesses from your home computer? How dare you accuse these parents (or any stranger) of child abuse.

And Doctors lie. Doctors steal. Doctors abuse. Doctors prescribe potentially harmful medication to patients with whom it is the last thing they need. Doctors refuse to treat patients for political reasons and pure ignorance/arrogance (ie. "my Harvard textbook never taught me that"). Doctors can be very unprofessional. Doctors play head games with and try to dupe patients who only want appropriate medical care. Doctors misdiagnose ALL THE TIME. Half of doctors probably have no business being in the medical profession whatsoever. I have witnessed or have heard personal accounts of all these things and they seem to be happening at a very alarming rate (and yes some of the most respectable hospitals are not immune).

Your obvious contempt for the patients you are supposed to be treating, suggests that you should really consider whether or not this an appropriate profession for you. At a time one of the fundamentals of medicine was to build a relationship with the patient and most importantly to "listen" to the patient. Unfortunately that seems to be more and more a thing of the past, and care is suffering for it.

You said it.

You are making me extremely dizzy here. Again, on one hand you "really want to know all the inside details" (meaning you are not on the front lines), while on the other you have the b@## s to say that it's all in her head.

Treatment for what, hmmm? I'm waiting for the expert here...

ugh. where to start? i obviously don't KNOW that the parents abused the child. but, if i had to wager on it? id put the odds a 60%.

your disdain for the medical profession is evident. personal anecdotes mean zilch. if you can think of somebody better to treat the sick, im all ears.

i have no animosity towards the patient HERSELF. her parents are deciding her care, rather than her doctors. dont you find that a bit wrong?

Old 03-19-2014, 11:20 AM

675 posts, read 1,700,470 times
Ok, I'm not a moderator or anything but can this get toned down a bit? I think the OP was basically asking about BCH because of this case and apparently five other similar cases, I don't think it was meant to be an examination of the Pelletier family (particularly not an unfair assumption-based examination). Maybe we can stick to discussing the hospital statistics?

Old 03-19-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
ugh. where to start? i obviously don't KNOW that the parents abused the child. but, if i had to wager on it? id put the odds a 60%.

your disdain for the medical profession is evident. personal anecdotes mean zilch. if you can think of somebody better to treat the sick, im all ears.

i have no animosity towards the patient HERSELF. her parents are deciding her care, rather than her doctors. dont you find that a bit wrong?

Oh...now you're at a 60% odds of her having been abused? That's a pretty long way from what seemed like an absolute certainty in your first post. How about keeping your opinions to yourself, rather than dragging a stranger's name through the mud on a public forum.

My point about doctors was that your disdain towards patients can easily be flipped the other way. I'm glad you finally realize the evils of the human race, but you must realize that the medical profession has no immunity from this. It is not always a case of the patient's word against the doctor. I do not have disdain towards the ENTIRE profession. I might say however that decent doctors are increasingly few and far between.

And personal anecdotes (the apparent word of the day) you say? I don't know what you think your own analysis is based on?

No animosity towards the patient? You called her crazy! You say that it's all in her head. So much for compassion. I would also read up on patient's rights if I were you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts