Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 12:27 PM

17 posts, read 59,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo21 View Post
Thanks everyone, but parking at Alewife isn't going to be a good option for at least a year or two - the wife and I both work at MGH, I have parking there, and we'll have our infant son in daycare at MGH in a few months. It just seems very difficult to commute by T with a baby.

Would it not be reasonable to drive 225 -> 2 -> Rindge Ave -> Somerville -> Kendall Sq -> Longfellow -> MGH? We live in Arlington now and drive this route (down Mass Ave to Porter), it takes us 30-35 min to get to MGH. How long would it take from Bedford?
One of the biggest bottlenecks is at the the Fresh pond rotary. Min 5-10 minute penalty. I don't think you can turn left onto Rindge from Fresh pond/rte. 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 02:52 PM

226 posts, read 384,502 times
I always have two kids in the car with me so I'm never speeding. Like I said, it depends where you live. I am very close to rt 2 and I can get to 95 quickly via back roads.

I'm also talking about non-rush hours. When I go downtown on weeknights, I leave at 6pm to get to a 7:30pm class in the north end. I usually walk in to the building at 7:15.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:11 PM

113 posts, read 153,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billski View Post
I live in what's called "north" Lexington (near the Burlington Mall). At least one of my family members (including me) have commuted to the Longwood Medical area since 1995. Here's the deal.
1) Anyone who can get downtown in 25 minutes has perfect conditions and is big time speeding. It only takes me that long after about 9pm to 5am. Saturdays and Sundays AM until about 9 and only using the highways.
2) Anytime the roads get we (rain, snow, etc.) add 10-15 minutes to your commute.
3) There is a "witching hour" when the roads fill in heavily. From my house it's 6:50am. If we leave any later than that, add 15-30 mins to the commute.
4) Most optimal way do go during rush hour, for you, will be Rte 2 to Freshpond, down to Memorial Drive then cross over the Charles.
5) The fastest way in and out (optimal conditions) is Rte 128/95N to 93S. to Storrow drive in NON-rush hour traffic. I can get back from the airport in the middle of the night in about 28 minutes @speed limit. No way am I taking 93/128 during rush hour.
6) Mass Pike buys you nothing except more accidents.
7) There are ways to weasel around through Belmont and Watertown, but since they take longer, I save those routes for really bad traffic days.
10) BTW, the worst commute from hell we had was during a snowstorm when everyone left the city at once. 2 hours one way.

You mentioned commuter rail. That's a reasonable option, since commuter rail drops you right off at north station. That puts MGH about a five minute walk away. However your schedule and logistics would have to be fixed.
Thanks for all this great info. Thanks also to the other contributors.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:17 PM

229 posts, read 382,692 times
Quote:
One of the biggest bottlenecks is at the the Fresh pond rotary. Min 5-10 minute penalty. I don't think you can turn left onto Rindge from Fresh pond/rte. 2.
Just rep you. You're right.
I work near the Alewife station, and during rush hours if you're only getting a 10 minutes delay, you're having one of those nice days. And you cannot turn into Rindge from Alewife after having just coming off Route 2.

I wonder whether the OP has found a house yet? If you need to stay north of Boston (as I recall, your wife has family there?), there really isn't much options for a budget of $600K.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:40 PM

17 posts, read 59,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cents View Post
there really isn't much options for a budget of $600K.
'cept maybe a condo. Saw one really nice setup, town-house-like on the grounds of an old Brookline estate, replete with parking on private grounds.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cents View Post
I wonder whether the OP has found a house yet? If you need to stay north of Boston (as I recall, your wife has family there?), there really isn't much options for a budget of $600K.
Hey, I'm OP. No, we haven't found a house. I am not yet ready to accept a 1 hr commute from Bedford, which is probably our best prospect at the moment. I'll sit on my $250K cash until I find something that makes sense. Wife and I will continue renting in Arlington. I'm hoping for a nice crash in equities and/or housing. Someone just paid >$700K for half a house (i.e., 1 unit of a duplex) on my crappy congested street. That's insane. It has to stop at some point.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
'cept maybe a condo. Saw one really nice setup, town-house-like on the grounds of an old Brookline estate, replete with parking on private grounds.
Yeah, I see those a lot, usually a duplex or triplex. I just can't fathom joint ownership of my home with 1 or 2 other people. Way too risky for me. And they're often 2 bed units, we're planning to need 3 beds.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 764 times
Hello. Your post is great and very detailed. I am considering a commute from East Cambridge to Bedford, MA. Would you say it's unreasonable? I imagine the distance is comparable to Longwood Medical Center. Does it take about an hour without the snow and rain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts