Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 07:03 AM

4 posts, read 7,473 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Cape Cod from DC in June for 3 years for my husband to work in Woods Hole. We are coming there in a few weeks to buy a home and need to narrow down our search area.

Our children will range from 2nd-7th graders while we are there so good elementary/middle schools are our priority. Right now we are looking at North Falmouth, Sandwich and Marstons Mills.

And insight to those areas? Schools. Community, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 10:05 AM

2,201 posts, read 5,326,882 times
All are nice areas. I know Sandwich well. Wing School was always the best elementary school in town. I am not sure if that still holds true. Your 7th grader would attend the new STEM program at the high school which is run by Gil Newton a fantastic science educator.
STEM : Sandwich School News

Marston Mills will put you in Barnstable Schools while North Falmouth will put them in the Falmouth system. Both are larger than Sandwich schools. I live in Sandwich and love it. My kids are long out of elementary but friends and neighbors are still pleased with the schools. My kids played sported with kids from Falmouth and Barnstable and those families were pleased with those systems. You will find much greater diversity in Barnstable and Falmouth than Sandwich.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:41 PM

24,206 posts, read 16,893,747 times
Hello.
Tax rates are higher in Sandwich than anywhere else on the Cape. Have a look here,
Cape Cod Property Tax Rates 2014 | Schooner Properties One Ellis Landing Rd, Brewster, Ma 02631

There is a ton of Cape Cod info about buying a home on this site.
Some areas of the Cape take longer to get to than others in the Summer due to traffic but Woods Hole in Falmouth has a highway from the Sandwich area and it is not far from Marston Mills. I don't know about the schools but the communities are nice. Falmouth has a really nice downtown, and a bike path along the beaches. Of course Sandwich has the canal and a bike trail along it. Personally I like Falmouth over your other choices. Getting off Cape is also easier if you head up rt28 from Falmouth and go over the Bourne bridge vs the Sagamore in Sandwich which gets busier. You have lots of options and I think you will enjoy the Cape wherever you wash a shore.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:36 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,210,798 times
As someone who lived in Falmouth and the cape for years there are areas to avoid..Forget Barnstable and Marstons mills..
Stick with Falmouth, especially north Falmouth..great area, a bit pricey but nice..

The cape is nice and all, but there is crime, and serious drug problems there with certain "individuals" and your best bet is Falmouth..IMO..

Sandwich is nice but a bit of a commute to woods hole...

Old 04-02-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
As someone who lived in Falmouth and the cape for years there are areas to avoid..Forget Barnstable and Marstons mills..
Stick with Falmouth, especially north Falmouth..great area, a bit pricey but nice..

The cape is nice and all, but there is crime, and serious drug problems there with certain "individuals" and your best bet is Falmouth..IMO..

Sandwich is nice but a bit of a commute to woods hole...

Brienzi, no offense but if you are going to throw out Marstons Mills because it is in Barnstable and you are judging Barnstable as a whole, you have to also talk about Falmouth as a whole. Not all of Falmouth is nice and there are definitely groups of indivduals and problems in parts of Falmouth- specifically East Falmouth.

Falmouth Police Blotter: 3/11/14 to 3/24/14 | CapeCodToday.Com

Old 04-03-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
Brienzi, no offense but if you are going to throw out Marstons Mills because it is in Barnstable and you are judging Barnstable as a whole, you have to also talk about Falmouth as a whole. Not all of Falmouth is nice and there are definitely groups of indivduals and problems in parts of Falmouth- specifically East Falmouth.

Falmouth Police Blotter: 3/11/14 to 3/24/14 | CapeCodToday.Com
I agree with u completely..East falmouth has some issues for sure.

The whole cape dynamic is unique..The tourists who visit only see the beauty of the area, but year round
resident's see the other side..

Old 04-03-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
I agree with u completely..East falmouth has some issues for sure.

The whole cape dynamic is unique..The tourists who visit only see the beauty of the area, but year round
resident's see the other side..
True that. I had a couple of "debates" here- one about East Falmouth. The problems are very troubling and while I know they are everywhere I think people would be shocked by just how bad they are in the off season.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:40 AM

To say the problems are very troubling is even an understatement...If one wants to really look, they be would shocked at what they would find..

What about one mans wife who went missing years ago..and the next say owner (wife) of this mans establishment blown away with a shotgun in the mid 2000's...Where any of those crimes solved?? As i had left before they where. I thought they found her wedding ring..But never the body of the first wife..

And didn't this guy shoot a falmouth cop in the face in the 70's or something..And these people r still there business as normal...The whole drug issue is separate from that, as it's obvious who controls that area down there..

It's not just the drugs and East Falmouth..They do the drug sweep every spring..It's the deep rooted corruption..

Old 04-04-2014, 05:06 PM

4 posts, read 7,473 times
Thanks for everyone's input. We are heading up this weekend to look at homes and it looks like Sandwich will be the winner. The tax rate is higher there, but significantly less than what we are paying now so it seems good to me

Old 04-04-2014, 06:07 PM

Happy hunting. Be sure to check out Cafe Chew for breakfast or lunch. Great food and a local hot spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts