Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 03:05 PM

559 posts, read 745,746 times

Advertisements

no sprinklers. and we have alot of bare patches in the front. the back will grow faster above the septic tank i assume because of the "fertilizer"

Last edited by Shizim; 04-08-2014 at 03:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 03:10 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,359,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizim View Post
no sprinklers. and we have alot of pare patches in the front.

Ok, then you're not going to have to worry about mowing too much.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:17 PM

559 posts, read 745,746 times
no. the landscaping probably needs a good amount of work overall. its on our list of things to do to the new place. my wife wants a deck 1st so that is next on the agenda.

happy wife happy life.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:50 PM

837 posts, read 1,217,615 times
We have a company that comes out every so often to fertilize and put down pet-friendly weed killer. I pay around $40 for each application and I can cancel at any time, which I did last year when we went through a bit of a financial bad patch. They will do cleanup/landscaping if I want to pay them big bucks. I can't afford it so all that falls to me and I'm not much of a gardener: I'll mow and trim the bushes but that's it.

My next door neighbor has a landscaping service. Given his yard and the fact they do everything, I'll willing to bet he probably pays big bucks for it.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:47 PM

1 posts, read 560 times
Default lawn care

No idea why they are charging you more for a bi weekly than a weekly. I tell my customers its up to them when they want me there and the price stays the same. I would look for another lawn care provider.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:10 PM

15,810 posts, read 6,873,166 times
We pay our lawn guy 40 and he does every other week. He does 2 of our neighbors as well on the same schedule so he gets all of us when he comes. We have sprinkler and the grass does get a little too long but it looks great. He also does the feeding and weeding.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:26 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,791,974 times
We started with bi-weekly in Mid-May. Around end of Jun, our weather got really hot and dry, so I asked the lawn guy to skip a week for July and the same for Aug (every 3 wks). I'm keeping a close eye on it so we don't mow unnecessarily and pay to have mowing done when the grass hasn't grown much.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:37 AM

466 posts, read 639,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn Landscaping View Post
No idea why they are charging you more for a bi weekly than a weekly.
In the spring/early summer when the lawn is growing faster, our lawn needs weekly mowings. If you wait two weeks, it gets a lot harder to mow, more clippings to collect, etc. So I can see how a higher price would be justified, at least with a basic smaller lawnmower. In July/August, we're fine with weekly mowings. In Sept the rate of growth goes up again.

We only fertilize twice/year (spring/fall) with organic fertilizer, so that helps the lawn go dormant mid-summer.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:49 AM

675 posts, read 1,688,885 times
We have a shady yard and we mow about every 2 weeks.

We also get the same bare and weedy patches. Spending $40 for a broadcast spreader was one of the better gardening decisions we've made, we pull it out to overseed in the beginning and end of the season and when we find a bad patch. Between that and running the sprinkler frequently (5-10 minutes first thing in the morning - thankfully no drought this year) we've managed to fake an OK looking lawn. It would probably look even better if we pulled up the existing grass and aerated and treated the soil first before seeding, but we're just doing what we can right now with a minimum of time, money, effort, or chemicals.

I've seen some expensively landscaped lawns, it does take a lot of time and thought and effort customized for the particular yard. (I've also seen homeowners who have done the same on their own). Then there are other landscapers who tend to just cut grass and apply chemicals with a one-size-fits-all approach. If the guys you're talking to (and who fit your budget) are in the latter category, maybe stick to doing it yourself or hire a local teenager who will come when you want. We looked at this too, that's the conclusion we reached
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts