Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2014, 06:43 AM

107 posts, read 198,300 times

Advertisements

I was in Marblehead this past summer and thought, probably like many, that it was one of the prettiest towns on the east coast. However, I couldn't afford it in a million years. I was hoping to get a list of similar architecturally intact coastal towns of about the same size that are a bit more affordable. I'm interested in places from Mass to Florida. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 07:21 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,362 times
I'm not sure what you're looking for. There are little seacoast towns filled with old houses all over New England. The really nice ones, like Marblehead, Rockport or Newport, tend to be more expensive. But it sounds like you could find something that's somewhat similar in any New England town with a coastline. But you could be looking for something else that I can't discern from your post.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:46 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,508,155 times
Rockport, Amesbury,Newburyport, Swampscott,Winchester

Old 04-12-2014, 11:58 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Most of the coastal towns north of Boston will be expensive. I don't know about south of Boston. There are some nice towns on the CT shore like Saybrook, Branford, Guilford. I don't know if they're quite as expensive as MA. The CT towns that are on the shore west of New Haven and closer to NYC are outlandishly expensive.

Rhode Island has coastal towns that could be affordable. I don't think they have the charm of Marblehead though. (Not talking about Newport.)

North of Boston and on the ocean is Salisbury which is affordable but not that charming. A lot of redevelopment is taking place so it will probably come up in the world but right now there's no comparison between Salisbury and Marblehead except for the ocean. Although there are some nice condos on the ocean front.

Gloucester is a great town but it's rapidly changing and prices are going up. Its economy was based on the fishing industry, which is dying. It's a town in transition. Of course, Rockport, at the end of Cape Ann, just past Gloucester--expensive again, but charming and lively.

You might find something in Ipswich, it may be too expensive though. Just inland from Ipswich is Rowley which is very charming but may not be good for you if you don't want rural. My favorite town is Newbury--Plum Island is part of Newbury. It's not good to live on Plum Island for several reasons but Newbury is gorgeous, has a lot of beautiful old homes, an organic farm--you'd have to like rural though. Byfield too, but rural. I'm not sure of the home prices but you probably won't find anything cheap. That's what I know of the north shore.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:44 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,052,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Rockport, Amesbury,Newburyport, Swampscott,Winchester
Winchester? Did you mean Winthrop (which was what I was going to recommend). Hull too?

Old 04-12-2014, 03:26 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,508,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Winchester? Did you mean Winthrop (which was what I was going to recommend). Hull too?
Yes. Rowley is entirely too buggy. Can't even swim outside. You'll bring eaten alive from late April until forst frost.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:01 PM

940 posts, read 1,935,426 times
Beverly, Beverly Farms, Ipswich, parts of Winthrop, parts of Salem, Gloucester, Magnolia, Ipswich, Swampscott, all of tose towns the closer to water, the more like Marblehead! Basically stay out of Nahant, Marblehead and Manchester, probably Rockport, (because of price) but many other towns in between are more affordable. Just because they are so close geographically and historically, to a different degree some have more similar neighborhoods than others. Actually, it is because almost the entire Essex county originally used to be the city of Salem, and then gradually separated into smaller towns.

Last edited by konfetka; 04-12-2014 at 07:14 PM..

Old 04-12-2014, 07:09 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Yes. Rowley is entirely too buggy. Can't even swim outside. You'll bring eaten alive from late April until forst frost.
I don't think that's unique to Rowley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts