Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 08:05 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitofEndearment View Post
I honestly don't know where you would find an influx of European migrants outside the cities or the Buzzards Bay area that is particularly noteable or large. Anyways, I seriously doubt the Indian community would be hard to "penetrate" as you say. If anything, Indian Americans are trying to mingle with everyone else just as well, as most of the parents are immigrants and middle-class and looking to do the same thing as you.
I agree with this. I was up at the park this afternoon. All kinds of spring activities and everybody was hanging out with everybody, no isolated cliques of people who look this way or that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 08:38 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,240,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I agree with this. I was up at the park this afternoon. All kinds of spring activities and everybody was hanging out with everybody, no isolated cliques of people who look this way or that way.
That is wonderful thing about this area. You can meet so many people coming from all over the place. Unless you become stuck on limited circle of friends, your horizons do expand when you give "other" people a chance. Boston area is very diverse in that regard.

If one desires Europe, maybe moving to US is not ideal, because there is no Europe in Boston. Some areas have more transplants and international feel than the others. But, overall Boston is good old USA. It is actually great to experience all that New England offers.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:22 AM

940 posts, read 1,936,070 times
P.S. For ideas about what to do with kids north of Boston, northshorekid.com is a good resource!

Old 05-19-2014, 11:28 AM

940 posts, read 1,936,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
That is wonderful thing about this area. You can meet so many people coming from all over the place. Unless you become stuck on limited circle of friends, your horizons do expand when you give "other" people a chance. Boston area is very diverse in that regard.

If one desires Europe, maybe moving to US is not ideal, because there is no Europe in Boston. Some areas have more transplants and international feel than the others. But, overall Boston is good old USA. It is actually great to experience all that New England offers.
While I would agree that overall its USA, but some people say Boston has a more European feel, than other places. All of those universities do attract an international crowd, and some of them stick around. But, I can understand being drawn to what you are used to. Having said that, it only takes one to a few friends to create your own comfort zone.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:32 AM

173 posts, read 657,523 times
Thank you Konfetka!! I guess to simplify things, could anyone tell me which towns then still have kids knocking on each others doors, running from back yard to back yard, walk to school, actual moms at playgrounds (not so much nannies), etc. I have the impression that Sharon is supposed to be like that? Any other suggestions? Melrose or Arlington perhaps?

Should we even try to "get in" Belmont or Newton for daily casual socializing opportunities for the kids?

Old 05-19-2014, 11:42 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,240,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperpile View Post
Thank you Konfetka!! I guess to simplify things, could anyone tell me which towns then still have kids knocking on each others doors, running from back yard to back yard, walk to school, actual moms at playgrounds (not so much nannies), etc. I have the impression that Sharon is supposed to be like that? Any other suggestions? Melrose or Arlington perhaps?
We have told you this already. Arlington has the most of what you are looking for. Also Brookline, Cambridge Belmont, parts of Newton, Lexington, Needham. You are looking for semi-urban area with family and kid friendly vibe. This is it. There are numerous other great towns like Bedford or Acton to the west or north of the city, but they are lot more spread out and hence car oriented. It is harder to make friends there than in more dense neighborhoods with sidewalks where people walk, have little downtown areas with shops and kids play outside in the neighborhood parks.

If you work in Cambridge you need to stay as close as possible to it. We do not have transportation options including variety that you will find in Europe. Commute to Cambridge will be a big issue if you are not careful to land on the right side for an easier commute.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:01 PM

173 posts, read 657,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
We have told you this already. Arlington has the most of what you are looking for. Also Brookline, Cambridge Belmont, parts of Newton, Lexington, Needham. You are looking for semi-urban area with family and kid friendly vibe. This is it. There are numerous other great towns like Bedford or Acton to the west or north of the city, but they are lot more spread out and hence car oriented. It is harder to make friends there than in more dense neighborhoods with sidewalks where people walk, have little downtown areas with shops and kids play outside in the neighborhood parks.

If you work in Cambridge you need to stay as close as possible to it. We do not have transportation options including variety that you will find in Europe. Commute to Cambridge will be a big issue if you are not careful to land on the right side for an easier commute.
Thanks, your info is very helpful!

Old 05-19-2014, 12:32 PM

675 posts, read 1,700,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperpile View Post

Should we even try to "get in" Belmont or Newton for daily casual socializing opportunities for the kids?
I've found that the towns with kids knocking on each other's doors aren't the totally populous urban diverse ones - the climate gets more "helicopter parenting" than in the spread-out suburbs. I've lived in both and have had to adjust my parenting style accordingly. Sharon may be what you describe, I'm unfamiliar. Arlington, while it does have SAHMs in addition to nannies, doesn't have as much kids running free around the neighborhood unless the neighbors know each other really well. Friends in Melrose have described a great kid-friendly community lifestyle. I don't know how diverse it is but friends with kids love it. Newton and Belmont are similar to Arlington depending upon area, maybe a few more nannies and kids may have to take a bus depending upon where you live. (Arlington has more walk-to-school potential, depending again on area). They're all nice areas, I've lived in all except Sharon & Melrose.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:38 PM

11 posts, read 33,377 times
Moved to Acton 2 years ago and LOOOOOOOOVE IT!

I reiterate 495's suggestion to check out AFN (Acton Family Network). They do so much ,babysitting co-ops as well as social events (play dates & outings at local attractions, moms/dads nights/ book clubs, tag sales, etc) and are VERY welcoming.

I work full time (in Boston, so non the best commute) , so I personally haven't done much with them, but they seem to have a tons of stuff during the week. They also have big events, like the HAlloween PArty open to both members and non members. My kids have a great time at that one. While my schedule doens't permit me to do much with them, I have friends that are more involved with them that love it.

ALso, I have met tons of people at playgrounds and such.
I was at grand opening of the new playground at the library this weekend and met a lot other parents by the swings in just the couple of hours that we were there.

There seems to be tons for SAHM's to do with kids, but in my experience, the whole town is very friendly. My neighbors are the best. Also, the parents at my children's daycare have created our own social group that caters to both-parents-working long hours families. I have yet to run into an unfriendly person.

My kids are not school age yet, but I know familes of children at each of the elementary schools and they all say great things. i.e. it's not one of those systems where eveyone is trying to get into the same 1 or 2 top choices.

And for $650k you can defintely get a nice house. MAybe not a new construction mcMansion, but something nice.

Good Luck!

Old 05-19-2014, 02:41 PM

33 posts, read 40,099 times
My wife and I are 2nd generation Americans... (western European)

We are moving to Swampscott in June(from Michigan)... Absolutely love it there..
at $650k you can live by the ocean... and have great schools... no real compromise there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts