Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2007, 08:57 AM

5 posts, read 18,266 times

Advertisements

I just relocated here due to husbands new job.

We are living in Wellesley, daughter's school is 1.2 mile walk each way (twice a day) in Natick- she's too young to go by herself. I can't drive her, because I am legally blind- no peripheral vision.

I am wondering if anyone can give me some advice as far as some type of trike or scooter that would be able to get through the snow without problems? I would love electric- the route would be only on residential streets/sidewalks.

I have been reading about needing a driver's license to use an electric scooter on the streets- is this true? That is really frustrating to me- my peripheral vision is bad enough to prevent me having a license and driving a car, but I could still ride a scooter at lower speeds safely!

Sorry this is so long- just wondering if anyone has any ideas for me? I prefer not to have to depend or beg for rides from the other parents at the school, and with husbands work schedule, him taking her and picking her up doesn't work- so until I come up with a solution, we have to walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 09:01 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,746,463 times
So did you guys just move to Wellesley in the middle of the school year, and your daughter is finishing up this grade in Natick? If that's the case, ask if the school offers bus service just across the town line and offer to pay a little extra. They might be more willing to work with you if you explain your situation w/your husband and your vision. Also, if they still refuse to cross the town line into Wellesley, ask for the bus route so you can find the closest stop in Natick. Maybe you'll only have to walk 1/2 mile to the border instead of over a mile to the school.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:04 AM

5 posts, read 18,266 times
Sorry, I wasn't more specific- she is finishing the current grade- but she is in a private school, so there is no bus service. We plan to keep her in this school, and in the spring we plan to buy a house that is closer, probably in Natick.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:49 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,459,767 times
I do not know how old your daughter is... She must be 16 to operate the scooter.

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/rmvnews/2005...nformation.pdf

Scooter can go up to 40mph. Not really design to go on major roads or hills or snow.
http://www.redstreakscooter.com//index.php (broken link)

I suggest getting a private van company. I do not recall the name but they use a van to bring kids to after school programs for working parents.

Last edited by smarty; 12-12-2007 at 10:25 AM..

Old 12-12-2007, 10:35 AM

967 posts, read 4,770,589 times
Have you tried contacting the town, the Dept of Education, or the school to see if they know of any transportation services that might be available? Also, do you by any chance know a trustworthy high school or local college student who could drive her? They might appreciate the extra cash if their schedule allowed it. Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts