U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,022 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My family and I are re-locating to Norfolk, MA this summer and I have a lot of questions to ask anyone familiar with this place! I will start with the basics: where do you all grocery shop? Where are the nearest Targets and is there a Costco or similar wholesale store in the vicinity?

Is there a pediatrician anyone would recommend? How about a general practitioner for me and my husband and dentists for the family?

My daughters are 10 and 7 and are very into gymnastics and dance...are there any good programs in the area for either of these two activities?

For anyone with kids at either H.Olive Day, Freeman Kennedy or both: I will want to drive the girls to school for the first few weeks until they feel comfortable in their new surroundings. I noticed that both schools seem to start at the same time...my husband will be starting his work day very early and so I will be driving both girls. Does anyone else do this and how do you deal with the fact that both schools start at the same time? Is there a possibility, for example, of dropping the older one off a little earlier?

Does anyone have a favorite restaurant in the area?

What are some fun activities that you all like to do as a family or with kiddos? Any places in particular we could go to meet other kids / moms?

I know that this is getting ahead of myself, but how do you deal with plowing snow? I'm sure that the town does town streets, but are there private services that will plow driveways or do you rely on individuals?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 01:57 PM

6,108 posts, read 9,438,861 times
Welcome to the City-Data. I don't know if we have any current posters who live in Norfolk.

I live close by, so I'll try to answer some of your questions.

The grocery stores are in Franklin, Foxborough and Walpole. You'll probably do most of your shopping there. There's a Target off Rte. 1 in Plainville. Also a Stop & Shop and a T J Maxx in that shopping center, with a Lowe's across the highway. For wholesale clubs - there's a BJ's in Franklin.

I think there's still a dance studio in Norfolk, not sure. I know there's at least a couple in Franklin (Patti Eisenhauer and Franklin School of the Performing Arts).

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any primary care doctors in Norfolk, but there are a few Dentists. For a pediatrician we use Pediatric Associates in Franklin. There's another pediatrician in Wrentham center that's very popular. I'm sure there's several in Walpole.

As far as plowing, we just hire a guy with a truck to plow us. Some of the landscaping companies offer the service. I'd ask your neighbors who they use when you move in.

Hopefully, at least your older child will be comfortable enough to take the bus when school starts. Otherwise I guess the only thing you can do would be to drop her off a little early so you can get the younger one to her school. The schools aren't very far apart.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:43 PM

4,721 posts, read 9,928,488 times
Hopefully you'll have arrived (if not settled in) by Town Day. Many New England towns have an event like this every summer, sometimes known as "homecoming" although high school football plays no part. I've been to the one in Norfolk and highly recommend your doing so too. It's not a full scale carnival with rides, but is a great excuse to locals to mingle. Musicians perform, info tables are set up, some food is offered, and so on.

I wasn't able to find any reference to Town Day when I consulted the Norfolk Website (link below.) But you'll notice that the Audubon sanctuary is offering a day camp for kids, which might be just the thing for "getting them out of your hair." Norfolk is one of those places that's a good place to raise children - another way of saying that young-un's (particularly teens) find it BORING. (LOL)

Norfolk MA Community Home Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts