Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 07:24 PM

6 posts, read 26,074 times

Advertisements

We moved to Natick last year (from Melrose) and were spoiled by access to DCR pools in the summer. I love Natick but it's lacking a free outdoor community pool. In the absence of that, do I need to shell out membership for an expensive pool club? Any other options in the area? I know there is Dug Pond (which is a nice option) but I'm really looking for a pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 10:50 PM

392 posts, read 919,577 times
Longfellow sports club in Natick has an outdoor pool, but it's not free. I'd say none of the suburban towns in the area has a free pool per se.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:55 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,811,272 times
I didn't realize DCR maintained free outdoor pools in other parts of the state. Here there are some DCR beaches, but you still have to pay for parking. There are no free outdoor pools in the area that I know of. There's Wayland Community Pool which offers family summer memberships for around $750 I think. There's also Sudbury Swim & Tennis, but there was a 7 year waitlist last time I checked.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:22 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,415,166 times
You may not have many opportunities for pools, but lots of suburban towns have beaches on local ponds. Isn't that good enough for you?

Old 06-06-2014, 08:43 AM

I agree - some of the beaches in Metrowest have swimming lanes that are farther away from the sand, but are roped off so boaters know to stay away.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:48 AM

173 posts, read 657,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
You may not have many opportunities for pools, but lots of suburban towns have beaches on local ponds. Isn't that good enough for you?
Could someone please list all known towns with resident beaches on local ponds?

Old 06-06-2014, 10:42 AM

Here are the ones I know of in Metrowest. I'm sure there are more, and some towns might even have more than one.
Natick - Dug Pond
Wayland - Lake Cochituate (entrance is off West Plain. this is not the same as the state-owned beach on the other side of the lake)
Wellesley - Morse Pond
Concord - Walden Pond
Acton - NARA Park (man made pond)
Weston - Nonesuch Pond (behind the Rivers school)
Framingham - Learned Pond (entrance behind Mass Bay)

Old 06-06-2014, 10:50 AM

173 posts, read 657,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Here are the ones I know of in Metrowest. I'm sure there are more, and some towns might even have more than one.
Natick - Dug Pond
Wayland - Lake Cochituate (entrance is off West Plain. this is not the same as the state-owned beach on the other side of the lake)
Wellesley - Morse Pond
Concord - Walden Pond
Great info! Thanks.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:13 AM

10,018 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Natick - Dug Pond
Wellesley - Morse Pond
Concord - Walden Pond
Adjacent to Natick, there's Farm Pond in Sherborn (which is really a lake). They hold some kind of non-resident lottery for passes.

http://sherbornma.org/Pages/Sherborn...%20Booklet.pdf

Old 06-06-2014, 11:35 AM

392 posts, read 919,577 times
Town beach would be the best alternative, keep in mind that you pay the least amount if you are resident of the town. If you are non-resident you still can get the pass, but for slightly higher price. People I know choose the beach that is closest to them geographically (meaning, they could live in Natick but buy the pass for wellesley beach or wise versa). The pass goes per person, for the summer season. Beaches in most towns open the day after school closes, and you can go there till the end of August.

You can also buy one day entrances, and compare different beaches over the course of summer. One day entrance is more expensive of course, so the beach tag (esp from your resident town) pays off in about a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts