Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 12:11 PM

325 posts, read 924,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Everything is going up BUT are we getting any more service for these extra fees?
Oh great I have 3 cars that need inspection stickers in August so that is $18 extra to the state for what? I guess they need it more than I do so they can give illegal immigrants drivers licenses.
Welcome to Taxachusetts.
Get 'em stickers before the end of June!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 02:01 PM

974 posts, read 1,896,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Everything is going up BUT are we getting any more service for these extra fees?
Oh great I have 3 cars that need inspection stickers in August so that is $18 extra to the state for what? I guess they need it more than I do so they can give illegal immigrants drivers licenses.
Welcome to Taxachusetts.
If you have 3 cars, you should be able to afford $18 a year. If not, sell them and use a bike.

Again, the Taxachusetts fallacy.
Mass is ranked 20th in taxes by CNN. Maine, Rhode Island, Vermont rank higher in NE. CNN/Money: Taxes state by state

There are a total of 19 other states with higher taxes and not all of them have as strong an economy as Mass or provide the level of services.

Never understood why people love to bash Massachusetts but won't move someplace else more to their liking.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:02 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbe202 View Post
If you have 3 cars, you should be able to afford $18 a year. If not, sell them and use a bike.

Again, the Taxachusetts fallacy.
Mass is ranked 20th in taxes by CNN. Maine, Rhode Island, Vermont rank higher in NE. CNN/Money: Taxes state by state

There are a total of 19 other states with higher taxes and not all of them have as strong an economy as Mass or provide the level of services.

Never understood why people love to bash Massachusetts but won't move someplace else more to their liking.
There are a lot of people who have lived in this state their entire lives but can't afford to live here anymore because of the high expenses. These people aren't necessarily bashing Massachusetts, they are bashing the high prices to stay in a state they love. It seems that everything concerning cars is going up in July, including the cost of a road test for $70 to $90. Then, of course, there is the yearly excise tax (although my car is so old I barely pay anything.)

Old 06-28-2014, 07:20 PM

974 posts, read 1,896,655 times
Only in America do we believe cars are a right and not a luxury.

Yes, fees with cars are going up to cover infrastructure costs. Our roads and bridges need repair so this is how it's being covered - by those who use the roads with their three cars. :eye roll: (side note: In Boston, the majority of real estate taxes are paid by those who avail themselves of the fewest public services. Don't see peeps on Beacon Hill or Back Bay hollering about their real estate taxes supporting schools they don't send their kids to or emergency services for fighting or drug sales on the corner.)

As a native Maasachusetts resident, I chose to continue to live and work in Mass because of the rights and services the state ensures for its citizens. We have one of the most robust economies, sound local and state government ensuring rights for all citizens, universal healthcare, and strong (not perfect) services for the most disenfranchised.

Sure, being 20th in taxes isn't the lowest-- but overall, it's better than New Mexico or South Carolina--who rated higher than we did.

And, according to C-D forum, everyone either wants to move here or leave here. So I guess that saying about only being able to please some of the people holds true!

Old 06-29-2014, 06:20 AM

543 posts, read 702,443 times
Doesn't the garage who inspects the car get the $29 anyway? I f they don't get at least a good portion of it why would they do it?
Many people make their money in a State like Mass., then retire to a place that's cheaper to live, then ruin that State also, by voting in the reasons they left the first State for!

Old 06-29-2014, 02:57 PM

419 posts, read 1,237,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbe202 View Post
Only in America do we believe cars are a right and not a luxury.

Yes, fees with cars are going up to cover infrastructure costs. Our roads and bridges need repair so this is how it's being covered - by those who use the roads with their three cars. :eye roll: (side note: In Boston, the majority of real estate taxes are paid by those who avail themselves of the fewest public services. Don't see peeps on Beacon Hill or Back Bay hollering about their real estate taxes supporting schools they don't send their kids to or emergency services for fighting or drug sales on the corner.)

As a native Maasachusetts resident, I chose to continue to live and work in Mass because of the rights and services the state ensures for its citizens. We have one of the most robust economies, sound local and state government ensuring rights for all citizens, universal healthcare, and strong (not perfect) services for the most disenfranchised.

Sure, being 20th in taxes isn't the lowest-- but overall, it's better than New Mexico or South Carolina--who rated higher than we did.

And, according to C-D forum, everyone either wants to move here or leave here. So I guess that saying about only being able to please some of the people holds true!

How much are the rose colored glasses?

Ugh!

Old 06-29-2014, 03:23 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvap View Post
Doesn't the garage who inspects the car get the $29 anyway? I f they don't get at least a good portion of it why would they do it?
Many people make their money in a State like Mass., then retire to a place that's cheaper to live, then ruin that State also, by voting in the reasons they left the first State for!
They get a portion of the money, I don't know how much but it's a good question. I think another way they benefit is that if the car does need some repair or new tires to pass inspection, most people will just get it done at that garage because it's easier.

Your 2nd comment is one I've heard many, many times from residents of New Hampshire and most of the Southern states. It's true and accounts for much of the hostility we Yankees face when relocating.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:05 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,467,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
. I think another way they benefit is that if the car does need some repair or new tires to pass inspection, most people will just get it done at that garage because it's easier.
That just opens the door for abuse though. I've had shops hassle me on subjective things like windshield wiper arms and tires that still technically meet the legal limit. Replacement parts, of course, were at inflated prices. When you are stuck in a garage and facing a red Reject sticker, i can't help by think some people just say yes.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:09 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,972,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
That just opens the door for abuse though. I've had shops hassle me on subjective things like windshield wiper arms and tires that still technically meet the legal limit. Replacement parts, of course, were at inflated prices. When you are stuck in a garage and facing a red Reject sticker, i can't help by think some people just say yes.
Exactly. I had an inspection place tell me I need $800 worth of work to pass inspection. Luckily, I had been to the dealer the week before for something and knew better. I went somewhere else and passed no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: