Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 07:57 PM

3,688 posts, read 7,428,446 times

Advertisements

From 8:30 PM yesterday to 5:55 PM today you did a complete about turn regarding Sudbury?

Regardless, for a commute to Kendall Square I would recommend coming in from the north on 93, especially if your husband can be on the road by 6:00 AM and leave at 3:30 PM. Hopkinton, Harvard and Westford would all be lousy long drives in to Cambridge.

Sadly, $650K is not a real big budget for this area but I would look at Reading, North Reading, Lynnfield and reconsider Andover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 09:17 PM

173 posts, read 657,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
From 8:30 PM yesterday to 5:55 PM today you did a complete about turn regarding Sudbury?

Regardless, for a commute to Kendall Square I would recommend coming in from the north on 93, especially if your husband can be on the road by 6:00 AM and leave at 3:30 PM. Hopkinton, Harvard and Westford would all be lousy long drives in to Cambridge.

Sadly, $650K is not a real big budget for this area but I would look at Reading, North Reading, Lynnfield and reconsider Andover.
Yes, I finally got to see the towns I wanted to see. Sudbury is on a lower priority due to it being far away from any highway. Also, the lack of any town center, common area, bugs me. I just can't imagine how I am going to meet people!

Many colleagues from work either live in Amesbury, Littleton, or Westborough. So if others are doing the commute, that's what it will probably have to be.

I will revisit Andover, and check out South Natick. Something is telling me to check out Hamilton, I must have read something positive about that town on here.

Thanks everyone for your input. I really appreciate it.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:42 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,811,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperpile View Post
I actually ended up loving the feel of Hopkinton and Harvard. Sudbury houses in our price range had "funky" yards (hill, dark forest). I guess I really need that town green, which both Hopkinton and Harvard have. I would not be happy in Sudbury. Will revisit Andover.

Job is in Kendall Sq. Which commute would be easiest? On our list: Hopkinton, Harvard, Westford, and Andover.

I am not considering Acton, I think the school district is too large? Looking for that town with a town green and a top close knit school district, where kids really get to know each other well. Hence considering Harvard. A local resident told me that most kids get to be on any team/club they want, plus it's very safe. There is also a town beach...
Quote:
Yes, I finally got to see the towns I wanted to see. Sudbury is on a lower priority due to it being far away from any highway. Also, the lack of any town center, common area, bugs me. I just can't imagine how I am going to meet people!
Glad you got to visit Sudbury - it's not for everybody, but it's very easy to get a feel for the town and you either love it or hate it. For most people it feels too remote, that's why I said earlier that location and town vibe should also be high priorities for you in addition to schools and safety. You meet people in Sudbury the same way you meet people in other towns - through your kids activities. This isn't California where you just go into a cafe and strike up a friendship with a stranger. I'm confused about Hopkinton though - it's very similar to Sudbury except with fewer stores and even more trees. Most house lots in both towns are heavily wooded except the newer subdivisions which have cleared lots. That will run you $700k and up in Hopkinton and $900k and up in Sudbury. I agree Harvard has a more open feel, but I feel the distance is too far for commuting to Kendall. Sudbury would be much quicker despite the lack of highways - around 45 min. I think you should give Andover another shot if it's the town green, highway access and denser population that you prefer. Schools are still better than other towns listed such as Natick or Reading IMO.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:46 AM

404 posts, read 826,659 times
People don't live in Amesbury or Littleton and commute to Kendall because they want to, they do it because that's how far they had to go to afford a house. Your budget would allow you to be closer than that which is advisable.

Look at it this way, commuting by car would be easiest if he had quick access to rt.90 aka the Mass Pike, or rt.93. $650k doesn't go far along rt.90 until you get to Natick, for rt.93 the schools don't get good until you hit Reading. So barring train considerations: Natick, Andover, Reading. Winchester if you can get in, would also be an option, Melrose if you want lesser schools and more density but more family friendly.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:51 AM

173 posts, read 657,390 times
You are all right. Natick sounds like the most sensible choice, followed by the rest: Andover, Sudbury, Hopkinton and Westford.

I am assuming Natick schools are on par with the rest?

Old 07-02-2014, 08:11 PM

404 posts, read 526,477 times
Default reconsider swampscott/marblehead

Quote:
I really need your help! After visiting Marblehead, we decided to look elsewhere for a bigger yard.
dont underestimate the traffic in metro boston, even at 6am & 330p. what it boils down to is a quality of life issue. if youre sitting in the car 90 minutes each way, every day, does it really matter that you have a nice flat 1 acre lot? if youve seen any of my posts, long commute is something ive been debating, and i reached the conclusion you should minimize your commute at all costs to spend time with your family.

what about swampscott?
quintessential seaside new england, town common on the ocean, commuter rail 20 minutes into north station. good schools. sidewalks and walkable neighborhoods. great community feel. smallish yards but thats why there are so many great parks. 650 might actually get you a decent flat 0.5 acre lot, havent looked lately.

swampscott is pretty similar to non-old-town marblehead but with higher taxes and a train.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:58 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,258,187 times
If you're leaning toward smaller communities such as Harvard, you might also want to consider Littleton. It's a hidden gem near Harvard, and you will get a little more for your money.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:33 PM

10 posts, read 9,344 times
I've lived in sudbury for 4-5 years now, and love it. My neighbour actually visits Andover often (parents there, grew up there) but he chose to set up his family here.

It's near everything important, as far as I'm concerned. But I don't have kids, just a big dog who gets to explore all the trails around. If you're into natury stuff with your kids I think this is a great central location, near to a lot of trails.

Only negative...taxes seem on the high side. >1.8% now. But if you have kids, it's probably well worth it.

650K a bit on the low side for a nice house here, unfortunately. But you could get a big townhouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts