Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 02:57 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,897,208 times

Advertisements

Hearing talk of empty shelves, and I can't help but wonder which stores? Here is the Londonderry, NH store at 7 pm on Tuesday:

http://s188.photobucket.com/user/Val...0Basket%202014
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 04:26 PM

7,912 posts, read 7,744,400 times
"Ridiculous. Of course it is a reflection of the way society is. If you're just going to deny the reality no wonder you aren't going to be satisfied with the reasonable responses I've provided. "

Huh? Is this a sociology class now? Perhaps an EST session from the 1970's? Maybe Epic when they sang "What IS it ?"

"Yup. Mob mentality works. That's why it is so dangerous."

Hardly a mob mentality when people are peacefully protesting. Now if you check out Missouri right now then we can say something else.

"Why is it so hard to accept a written answer? Why is reading so troubling to you?"

It is not troubling but to the stakeholders it is impersonal and lacks any attachment. Even legal seafoods has their ceo saying it refuses to be called a chain. In the court of public opinion if you do not really respond to something then it implies it is true. An elementary school has a better communication then the leadership of market basket right now..heck any town. Code Red system, text messages and so forth.

Remember the Tylenol scare back in the day? J&J went above and beyond recalling the product and making sure that there were incentives to find those responsible. With MB there is nothing other then a press release. Even the governor is talking about this at this point.

"Stop & Shop is sustaining just fine. And if you want corporations to act a different way, you are going to have to start admitting to yourself that this is a society-related matter and you're going to have to start admitting to yourself that a change in the way corporations are viewed in society is necessary to have things go in the direction you want."

Ok but we already have those Benefit corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

stop and shop? O really ?

Stop & Shop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia If a place is really good why would it need a union to begin with?

Old 08-14-2014, 04:45 PM

2,201 posts, read 5,331,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Stop & Shop is sustaining just fine. And if you want corporations to act a different way, you are going to have to start admitting to yourself that this is a society-related matter and you're going to have to start admitting to yourself that a change in the way corporations are viewed in society is necessary to have things go in the direction you want.

Stop and Shop is not sustaining just fine. Mark my words, there are going to be massive layoffs as jobs are outsourced and their market share continues to plummet. The Market Basket debacle has given them a bit of a reprieve but it will be short lived.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:11 PM

3,573 posts, read 4,486,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Hearing talk of empty shelves, and I can't help but wonder which stores? Here is the Londonderry, NH store at 7 pm on Tuesday:

Market Basket 2014 Slideshow by ValerieC424 | Photobucket
Not my store either. Looks just like these photos.
Only things missing are produce and bakery.
They have fresh meat.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:55 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,775,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
Stop and Shop is not sustaining just fine. Mark my words, there are going to be massive layoffs as jobs are outsourced and their market share continues to plummet. The Market Basket debacle has given them a bit of a reprieve but it will be short lived.
How do you know that their market share in Mass is plummeting? Have you read their financials, or other financial breakdowns for the Mass supermarket market?

Old 08-14-2014, 09:26 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,070,122 times
I was in the Oxford Market Basket today I am sad to report. I have been shopping elsewhere for the past 3/4 weeks now. It was 5 o'clock & I had company coming for dinner. I realized I did not have enough pasta. MB is the closest store to my house! I ran in to pick up the pasta and grabbed a couple of other things I needed. Nothing more than would fit in my arms. I have company this week and I'm running out of everything cooking for lots of extra people. I felt so bad. I saw the signs "Don't Feed the Greed" etc. There were 2 cashiers and 1 bagger. Someone at customer service. I didn't see anyone else working. It was the saddest thing ever. I won't be going back until this is resolved. I wanted to apologize for shopping there to the cashier, but I didn't. I just was nice and got out of there quickly. I was appalled at the people with their overflowing shopping carts. How could they? But I was there too. How could I? I was desperate for convenience.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:17 PM

7,912 posts, read 7,744,400 times
Quote:
Well they are owned by Ahold
https://www.google.com/finance?q=AMS:AH

Looks not bad to me. Market cap over 11 billion which is more than MB is. Margins are think and they have 123,000 employees.

Yes the company had a collapse but that was in 2002..

Old 08-15-2014, 04:07 AM
bUU

12,077 posts, read 10,653,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
"Ridiculous. Of course it is a reflection of the way society is. If you're just going to deny the reality no wonder you aren't going to be satisfied with the reasonable responses I've provided. "

Huh? Is this a sociology class now? Perhaps an EST session from the 1970's? Maybe Epic when they sang "What IS it ?"
Now go back and take my comment seriously, and respond to it seriously, instead of scurrilously trying to dodge the point with such a blatantly craven evasion.

Quote:
"Yup. Mob mentality works. That's why it is so dangerous."

Hardly a mob mentality when people are peacefully protesting.
Mob mentality has nothing to do with violence. It has to do with peer influence to drive collective action even when counter to what's in accordance with the standards of society at the time.

Quote:
"Why is it so hard to accept a written answer? Why is reading so troubling to you?"

It is not troubling but to the stakeholders it is impersonal and lacks any attachment.
It's business.

Stop evading the question: Why do you so desperately need a personal, attached interchange? What value does such an interchange provide to those you are demanding it from?

Quote:
In the court of public opinion if you do not really respond to something then it implies it is true.
Most Americans are no longer naive enough to believe that. Most Americans realize the nature of today's media. It's surprising that you don't.

Quote:
"Stop & Shop is sustaining just fine. And if you want corporations to act a different way, you are going to have to start admitting to yourself that this is a society-related matter and you're going to have to start admitting to yourself that a change in the way corporations are viewed in society is necessary to have things go in the direction you want."

Ok but we already have those Benefit corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yet that's not good enough for you. You seem to have forgotten that it is YOU who is complaining about this. If the existing B-corps satisfy you, then why are you complaining? If they don't satisfy you, then we're back to my comment about the need to work towards changing society to fit your expectations rather than buying into mob mentality and singling out a single company for your antagonism.

Quote:
stop and shop? O really ?

Stop & Shop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia If a place is really good why would it need a union to begin with?
This comment is ridiculously detached from reality, directly contradicting what YOU posted a few posts later:
Quote:
Well they are owned by Ahold
https://www.google.com/finance?q=AMS:AH

Looks not bad to me. Market cap over 11 billion which is more than MB is. Margins are think and they have 123,000 employees.

Yes the company had a collapse but that was in 2002..
We were talking about the company: Beyond what you mentioned to another poster, Ahold earned €1.01 billion of profit in 2012.

So YES - really.

If you don't like profit as a measure of the success of a company then - again - you're going to have to change society, because today that is acceptable as the principal measure of success of a company. Even if it doesn't fit the narrative you'd prefer to prevail.

Quote:
"The sky is falling!"

Look - who knows? We could be hit by an asteroid tomorrow. But getting food into people's kitchens requires grocery stores. If anything, the inexpensive grocery store that treats its employees better than average is the endangered species. No one here is necessarily happy about it, but not being happy about something doesn't make it less likely to be the case.

Last edited by bUU; 08-15-2014 at 04:17 AM..

Old 08-15-2014, 05:37 AM

19,959 posts, read 30,016,584 times
I predict within a week, there will be terms and conditions acceptable on both sides- it has to be sold back to Arthur t - if any other company buys it,,,then it will not be market basket- this debacle has got customers emotionally involved , not just the associates

as i said before, no matter who buys , it will be operating from debt,and prices will never be as low, as operating without debt

the business model was a powerful success story, own the high traffic anchor in the malls, and also own the malls, and collect leases from other businesses- that benefit from the high traffic count from the grocery store
today all them other business in the malls are also hurting

you got to admire the resolve of the mb employees -

more and more employees are going back to work -they need to feed their families and pay their bills
if they hold out for Arthur t and compromise their own financial stability,,,, and he never comes back???

seems like a very high risk-

Old 08-15-2014, 05:46 AM
bUU

12,077 posts, read 10,653,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I predict within a week, there will be terms and conditions acceptable on both sides- it has to be sold back to Arthur t - if any other company buys it,,,then it will not be market basket-
I suspect that eventually the Arthur T side will raise the money they need to be able to agree to reasonable terms of interest for the financing the Class A shareholders are offering. I don't think it necessarily needed to end that way - I think if the economy, overall, was better, one of the regional chains big in the NY area would have swept in and grabbed this opportunity to expand into NE. Regardless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
as i said before, no matter who buys , it will be operating from debt,and prices will never be as low, as operating without debt
In other words, no matter what, the end-result was always going to be supermarkets operating the way things were heading without regard to who was in charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts