Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2014, 10:27 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,759,596 times

Advertisements

I just found a neat tool on trulia - the affordability heat map. Dunstable isn't talked about much on these forums, so the the high housing prices really jumped out at me. Several homes (not McMansions) on the main road listed for $500k and up. Seriously? You can get comparable homes for the same price just over the border in Groton. I realize they share a high school, but doesn't Groton have a much better reputation? Similar to Lancaster vs Bolton and Stow, which all share a high school, except Lancaster is MUCH cheaper than the other 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 10:41 AM

4,676 posts, read 3,433,629 times
Dunstable is absolutely beautiful. I don't know too much about it but I pass through regularly and it is very well kept and it just looks and feels peaceful. Plus it's a lot closer to the highway then Groton. Sorry, that's all I got.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:28 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,884,435 times
Dunstable is one of the best kept secrets in eastern ma. It's like you stepped into rural New England. It's less built up than Groton and more republican. They have pretty large lot restrictions. Their elementary school has a 10 on great schools.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:48 AM

8,842 posts, read 6,156,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I just found a neat tool on trulia - the affordability heat map. Dunstable isn't talked about much on these forums, so the the high housing prices really jumped out at me. Several homes (not McMansions) on the main road listed for $500k and up. Seriously? You can get comparable homes for the same price just over the border in Groton. I realize they share a high school, but doesn't Groton have a much better reputation? Similar to Lancaster vs Bolton and Stow, which all share a high school, except Lancaster is MUCH cheaper than the other 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
Dunstable is one of the best kept secrets in eastern ma. It's like you stepped into rural New England. It's less built up than Groton and more republican. They have pretty large lot restrictions. Their elementary school has a 10 on great schools.
I have always placed Dunstable and Carlisle in the same league. I think those two are the most desirable towns in Middlesex county for people who value open space and scenery. In the past I would have lumped Groton in with Carlisle and Dunstable but lately Groton has been embracing more substantial commercial development and will turn into another Chelmsford or Westford soon enough. Nothing wrong with those towns but they really represent a different lifestyle than Dunstable and Carlisle.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:09 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,594,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I have always placed Dunstable and Carlisle in the same league. I think those two are the most desirable towns in Middlesex county for people who value open space and scenery. In the past I would have lumped Groton in with Carlisle and Dunstable but lately Groton has been embracing more substantial commercial development and will turn into another Chelmsford or Westford soon enough. Nothing wrong with those towns but they really represent a different lifestyle than Dunstable and Carlisle.
With Littleton joining the Westford, Groton, Chelmsford team soon.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:13 AM

Interesting, I'll have to hop off Rt-3 and take a driving tour the next time I'm heading up to NH.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:47 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,789,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Interesting, I'll have to hop off Rt-3 and take a driving tour the next time I'm heading up to NH.

From 113, take Thorndike to High St. Or if you want to see the "town center" just go all the way to the gas station and double back to High St. From there you can continue to Spit Brook Rd. and hop back on 3. A good 10 minute ride to give you a feel for the town.

If you like taking the long way.. From Sudbury, use this route by taking 27 to 119 in Acton. Gives you a good feel for the area it is one of my favorite drives in MA, especially the parts in Dunstable. The second you cross the NH border you can tell you are no longer in Dunstable. It couldn't be any clearer.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:23 AM

Great information Wolfgang. We'll take that route when we go leaf peeping in about a month, although peak season may occur earlier this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts