Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 09:13 PM

10 posts, read 19,682 times

Advertisements

ok so the normal question: Should i relocate from Boston suburbs to Hopedale? Seems nice although VERY quiet. here are a couple questions:

1. is that mill ever going to be developed?
2. why are there no stores in downtown? just a pizzeria, barber shop, and diner. seems like there should be a bank, pub, drycleaner, deli, liquor store, pharmacy etc. where does everyone go to shop?
3. is the town financially stable?
4. are residents welcoming to incoming folks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 10:06 PM

503 posts, read 1,204,509 times
I live in Milford, a nearby town. Hopedale is a very nice town in my opinion. Just a guess but for food shopping Hopedale people probably go to Milford. We have Stop&Shop, Hannafords, Shaws, and an Aldi's. Milford also has a Target and Kohls store.

There is a Market Basket grocery nearby in Bellingham along with Walmart. Milford also has several banks and the regional hospital.

I don't know about the mill, financial stability, but I think people are friendly in these parts.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:11 AM

Wow that is great info thanks. I was surprised there was not much to do in Milford. The downtown looks like it could be really charming but many of the storefronts look a little tired. I did notice that there are lots of c sin stores out near 495 so that is a plus in terms of convenience. Also, someone should open an ice cream store in Milford. Every town needs one.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:14 AM

837 posts, read 1,225,755 times
I know a couple of people from Milford. They'd tell you it's a small, friendly place and they all know each other (you could interpret that in different ways and be correct with each interpretation, btw). In other words, it's a small-town area which has historically always been "in the middle of nowhere". Some people enjoy that. Some people don't.

There is highway access via 495, but it's a hike to get to anywhere. The commute to Boston, for example, can be arduous because the most direct route involves three different highways (495, 95, and 128/93). The closest commuter rail, I believe, is in Franklin, which isn't quite a hop-and-skip. Many people work in the greater Worcester area because I gather it's easier to get there than it is to Boston (495 to 295?)

It's also a somewhat depressed area. There's very little industry in those parts, and a lot of local businesses have closed in the last few years. There are some big box retailers taking advantage of this, especially near 495, but nobody knows what the long-term plans may be.

But no, I have no personal experience living there. As I said, this is anecdotal from people I know who live in the area. I hope it helps.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:39 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
The small sampling of people I know from Hopedale and Mendon, grew up there.

You wouldn't be too far from Providence and whatever outdoor recreation Rhode Island has to offer at least.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarpenter04 View Post
Wow that is great info thanks. I was surprised there was not much to do in Milford. The downtown looks like it could be really charming but many of the storefronts look a little tired. I did notice that there are lots of c sin stores out near 495 so that is a plus in terms of convenience. Also, someone should open an ice cream store in Milford. Every town needs one.
Downtown Milford is old and unappealing. The only place there I go is a good breakfast/lunch place called Johnny Jacks. There are two ice cream shops in Milford that come to mind. Friendly's and Dairy Queen. There is a frozen yogurt shop somewhere in town.

Nearby Hopedale is the town of Mendon and believe it or not there is a good old fashioned Drive-In movie theatre. Also in Mendon there is an ice-cream shop and diner in of all places a giant card dealership (Imperial cars).

If you like to ride bicycles or walk there is a very large walking/bike path in Milford that goes to Hopkinton and Holliston that is fantastic.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:45 AM

thanks all for the great info. confirming kind of what i was thinking. Yeah i saw the drive in in Mendon as well as the car dealership. it was funny but mendon had a more bustling business district than Hopedale for sure. i wonder why that is?

anyone else with any updates.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:50 AM

This may or may not interest you but Saturday October 4th is the 5th annual Hopedale Oktoberfest. Free hot air balloon rides. 9am to 5pm.
World Famous RE/MAX Hot Air Balloon Comes to Hopedale's Oktoberfest - Around Town | Milford, Massachusetts Patch

Old 09-09-2014, 09:52 AM

Thanks I did see that and we attended day in the park which was nice.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:12 AM

anyone else have any info?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts