Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 08:13 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,022,910 times

Advertisements

Here's an interesting email I received a copy of today:

Dear Members of the Hunnewell Community and Staff,

I hope everyone is off to a great start this school year! As you know we have been closely monitoring the enrollment across all of our elementary schools given our current space challenges. Based on our current enrollment numbers at Hunnewell in Grades K and One, we have now closed those grade levels to new enrollment for SY 2014-2015.
Please note that this closure will not affect any family already registered and assigned to Hunnewell. The Administration will work closely with any new families regarding the registration and assignment of their children to other WPS elementary schools.
We will continue to update the community on any additional changes.

Best regards,

David Lussier
Superintendent of Schools

It sounds like Wellesley is starting to have some capacity issues. Families seem to be moving in droves to towns with "top rated" school systems no matter how high the prices climb and it's clearly putting a strain on the local infrastructure as many of these families are replacing families with no children (empty nesters, retirees, etc.). It will be interesting to see how these towns react to the issue. At least Wellesley seems to have some capacity in some of it's other schools. Some other towns might not be so lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 10:56 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,240,337 times
Every great school district is battling same overcrowding battle lately. This too shall pass. For a while enrollment was down, many schools were abandoned, and converted into condos. Things changed so people are talking about need to build more schools all over again. Circle of life. I am happy there are kids around.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:00 AM

10,018 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Same thing happened when I was in elementary school in Wellesley many moons ago...

Old 09-09-2014, 11:00 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,811,272 times
Where are these families coming from? If the population in MA remains stagnant then are some towns seeing a drop in school enrollment?

Old 09-09-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
Every great school district is battling same overcrowding battle lately. This too shall pass. For a while enrollment was down, many schools were abandoned, and converted into condos. Things changed so people are talking about need to build more schools all over again. Circle of life. I am happy there are kids around.
Yes. Variations in the size of generations is often cyclical. When the population shrinks, towns often sell off unneeded school buildings. When it grows, all of a sudden they are building new schools. Growing capacity in the school system is not an inexpensive endeavor though and I'm wondering how they will accomplish it (temporary classrooms? building additions on the existing schools? redistricting?) and how will they pay for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Where are these families coming from? If the population in MA remains stagnant then are some towns seeing a drop in school enrollment?
Good question.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:31 AM

10,018 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Yes. Variations in the size of generations is often cyclical. When the population shrinks, towns often sell off unneeded school buildings. When it grows, all of a sudden they are building new schools. Growing capacity in the school system is not an inexpensive endeavor though and I'm wondering how they will accomplish it (temporary classrooms? building additions on the existing schools? redistricting?) and how will they pay for it.

With us, they moved all the 6th graders out of the elementary schools and set up temporary classrooms in an administration building while additions were built to 2 of the schools. They thought it was better to move/bus older kids than try to shuffle the younger ones around.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:58 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
A lot of towns south of Boston, not on the coast, are losing students such as Holbrook, Canton, etc.

I'm thinking this must be signs of the economic recovery as well since Wesley is an expensive town to buy into. Holbrook is not. I wonder how long this trend has been going on.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:32 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,811,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
A lot of towns south of Boston, not on the coast, are losing students such as Holbrook, Canton, etc.

I'm thinking this must be signs of the economic recovery as well since Wesley is an expensive town to buy into. Holbrook is not. I wonder how long this trend has been going on.
Actually I have a good friend who was priced out of Canton, so I was under the impression that it's not that cheap. FYI he ended up in Norwood.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:30 PM

9 posts, read 25,682 times
Does anyone know how "overcrowding" impacts class size? The data available on the MA Dept of Ed web site indicates that class size for Wellesely, on average, would be under 20 kids. That doesn't seem very large compared to the rest of the country...is that data inaccurate?

Old 10-27-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapplegate View Post
Does anyone know how "overcrowding" impacts class size? The data available on the MA Dept of Ed web site indicates that class size for Wellesely, on average, would be under 20 kids. That doesn't seem very large compared to the rest of the country...is that data inaccurate?
I guess that depends on what town and what school you're referring to. It sounds like in the article I posted that in Wellesley (at least for now) it means your child might have to travel a little further to get to school. Luckily for the residents of Wellesley (for now) they seem to have capacity in some other buildings. In other towns it might mean your child spends their day in a temporary classroom or perhaps a makeshift classroom that was originally intended to be a cafeteria, office, or storage space. It's really an issue most of the suburbs with highly ranked school systems are dealing with. Basically, it's not typically affecting class size but it is affecting the learning environment.

As a side note . . . how did the thread title change? I never had anything about condos in it originally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts