Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 02:50 PM

10 posts, read 8,490 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone.
My girlfriend and I will be moving from New Orleans to Massachusetts, and are curious about some of the neighborhoods.
In short, we're looking to rent somewhere that's:
• safe(ish)
• has a nightlife (the busier, the better)
• has easy access to a commuter rail/public transit
• is affordable ($1200-$1400/month to start out)

We know we can't afford Boston itself to start, so we're interested in learning more about the immediate surrounding areas (Bedford, Medford, Malden, Everett, Canton, Salem, Brookline, etc.), and some of the larger outside cities (Lowell and Haverhill).

The daily crime in New Orleans is basically shooting, shooting, shooting, double shooting, and shooting, with assaults and thefts sprinkled in between. We were considering Lawrence, but the consensus on these boards seems to be that Lawrence is sketchy, boring, and should be avoided. I've read mixed reviews on here of both Lowell and Haverhill, with some saying they're both great places to live, and others saying that both are crime ridden and rundown.

I understand that all cities have their rough parts and good parts, and all cities pose a risk. Basically, we just want to be safe walking around alone and/or at night. So, are there certain areas (or streets) of Lowell or Haverhill that should be avoided? I've read that Washington and the numbered streets in Haverhill are rough. Are there sections in Lowell like that?

What about the smaller places just outside of Boston mentioned above? Are any of those places shady? I've been told to avoid Dorchester and Roxbury, but otherwise I can't find much on anything surrounding or just outside of Boston.

The second major consideration is nightlife. We'd like to be somewhere where we can walk to a bar (or several bars), go out to eat, and go listen to music without it being too much of a hassle. We're not bothered by loud people, young people, drunk people, or large crowds of people. For us, the busier the area, the more things to do, the better.

I've heard that both Lowell and Haverhill have a pretty decent downtown area. Is that true? What about the smaller cities outside of Boston? Do you essentially have to travel into Boston anytime you want to do anything, or do other smaller cities have their own nightlife?

We can look up the public transit access and rental costs on our own, but if you do have any info or advice to share on those, we'd love to hear it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 04:40 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,238,382 times
Welcome.

$1200-$1400 probably studio apartment if closer to action and places that are walkable and attracting younger people.. Best action is in Somerville, particularly Davis Sq. or Cambridge Porter, Harvard Sq. Those areas are very expensive and sought after. Brighton and Allston also seem popular with younger people/couples as well. There are many students in these areas.

Brookline is super expensive and has some of the things you are looking for. I think you are priced out of it. Perhaps Somerville as well.

All other towns are suburbs with little going on. You would need to commute to "action". Bedford is sleepy family oriented suburb west of Boston e.g.

You might want to check Waltham and Watertown. Plenty of young people and easy commute to Cambridge and Boston. Salem should be also high on your list. It is full of young people, cheaper, and happening as well. You might be able to get one-two bed apartment there. Salem has train to Boston. Ferry as well, I think. Everett and Malden are close to Boston, but I am not sure if they have what you are looking for. But, definitely cheaper areas by Boston standards.

Lowell is an interesting option, but some other people will be able to give you better info than I can. I am not sure if best fit.

Keep in mind that where you work and your commute to work will be super important for your location. Boston is very tricky that way, despite looking small and easily traveled. It is not. Make sure you will know where your job is before signing the lease. COL is huge, and budget for heating, and higher costs for everything in general. Public transport is not cheap either, but probably cheaper than owning the car if you can find decent location and access.

Good luck!

Old 09-10-2014, 04:42 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterdown24 View Post
Hey everyone.
My girlfriend and I will be moving from New Orleans to Massachusetts, and are curious about some of the neighborhoods.
In short, we're looking to rent somewhere that's:
• safe(ish)
• has a nightlife (the busier, the better)
• has easy access to a commuter rail/public transit
• is affordable ($1200-$1400/month to start out)

We know we can't afford Boston itself to start, so we're interested in learning more about the immediate surrounding areas (Bedford, Medford, Malden, Everett, Canton, Salem, Brookline, etc.), and some of the larger outside cities (Lowell and Haverhill).

The daily crime in New Orleans is basically shooting, shooting, shooting, double shooting, and shooting, with assaults and thefts sprinkled in between. We were considering Lawrence, but the consensus on these boards seems to be that Lawrence is sketchy, boring, and should be avoided. I've read mixed reviews on here of both Lowell and Haverhill, with some saying they're both great places to live, and others saying that both are crime ridden and rundown.

I understand that all cities have their rough parts and good parts, and all cities pose a risk. Basically, we just want to be safe walking around alone and/or at night. So, are there certain areas (or streets) of Lowell or Haverhill that should be avoided? I've read that Washington and the numbered streets in Haverhill are rough. Are there sections in Lowell like that?

What about the smaller places just outside of Boston mentioned above? Are any of those places shady? I've been told to avoid Dorchester and Roxbury, but otherwise I can't find much on anything surrounding or just outside of Boston.

The second major consideration is nightlife. We'd like to be somewhere where we can walk to a bar (or several bars), go out to eat, and go listen to music without it being too much of a hassle. We're not bothered by loud people, young people, drunk people, or large crowds of people. For us, the busier the area, the more things to do, the better.

I've heard that both Lowell and Haverhill have a pretty decent downtown area. Is that true? What about the smaller cities outside of Boston? Do you essentially have to travel into Boston anytime you want to do anything, or do other smaller cities have their own nightlife?

We can look up the public transit access and rental costs on our own, but if you do have any info or advice to share on those, we'd love to hear it.

Thanks!
With a few exceptions Boston is safe. There's nothing at all in Boston that compares to the bad parts of NOLA or even comes all that close. So when you hear areas are rough just remember that things are being judged on a sliding scale. I would really recommend living closer to Boston than way out in Haverhill or Lowell if you can swing it.

It seems like you're looking for the younger party crowd. That's something else that Boston doesn't come close to NOLA (this time in a bad way). One possibility would be Allston/Brighton, which is a big student area. Waltham has reasonable night life on Moody Street. Beyond that I don't really know much about nightlife, but those are two places that come to mind.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:50 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Salem and Lowell have pretty happening downtowns. Lowell seems super busy.

Somerville is good, but you'll be pressed for a decent 1 bedroom big enough for 2 people at $1400. Can be done, but not at Davis Sq. Union Sq is most likely.

Moody St is also good.

But how old are you? The key age ranges vary in these places. Early 20s I'd say Davis Sq or Allston. Later 20s/early to mid 30s Union Sq. Etc.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:41 PM

466 posts, read 643,446 times
Salem is a good choice.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:48 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
Canton is not a "nightlife" kinda place in any sense. Cross off list.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:09 AM

Thanks so much for the replies, everyone! I appreciate the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
Welcome.

Keep in mind that where you work and your commute to work will be super important for your location. Boston is very tricky that way, despite looking small and easily traveled. It is not. Make sure you will know where your job is before signing the lease. COL is huge, and budget for heating, and higher costs for everything in general. Public transport is not cheap either, but probably cheaper than owning the car if you can find decent location and access.

Good luck!
This is good to know. Thank you. Unfortunately, we're in a unique situation where we'll likely not land jobs until just before we leave or just when we arrive. So for now we're just focusing on living in the place that's the best fit for us, with the understanding that the commute for the first 6 months to a year might be a nightmare. :\

Old 09-11-2014, 08:12 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninotchka p View Post
salem is a good choice.
+1

Old 09-11-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Salem and Lowell have pretty happening downtowns. Lowell seems super busy.

Somerville is good, but you'll be pressed for a decent 1 bedroom big enough for 2 people at $1400. Can be done, but not at Davis Sq. Union Sq is most likely.

Moody St is also good.

But how old are you? The key age ranges vary in these places. Early 20s I'd say Davis Sq or Allston. Later 20s/early to mid 30s Union Sq. Etc.
We're 32 and 33. It sounds like perhaps we should keep to Union Sq.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Canton is not a "nightlife" kinda place in any sense. Cross off list.
Noted. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts